Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2021 5:54:32 AM EDT
It's been some years since I last bought emergency food and not that I have used a lot of it but have had to use some and found that unless I was starving I'd more then likely stay away from it.

I had the chance to open two 10# tins I bought them back in 2011. One was a orange rice and chicken and the other was a crystal egg. The eggs are awesome but orange chicken and rice was well salty and had to chock it down.

So it's been a long time since I bought some and was looking for other options out there. There was one company that was giving away free samples a few years ago and they where okay.

Anyway looking for advice on good meals to buy that's taste good so looking and willing to spend a little more then the bottom of the barrel meals.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I've come to just stocking rice and beans in #10 cans from the LDS Pantry(best prices I've found so far for long term). I also keep 30 or so #'s of rice and beans in a couple 5 gal buckets that I regularly cook from. I stock those and the keystone canned meat, canned salmon, tuna, oysters, and sardines. Also reduced sodium corned beef hash and SPAM.

Keeping stuff like that on hand and rotating through it allows me to stock what I eat, and let's me taste stuff before my family and I would have to depend on it. It's progeny more nutritious anyway to eat "real" food. That's just how we do it though, I'm sure others will chime in with good ideas.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Mountain House
Alpine Air
Emergency Essentials brand

These are good to go.  DO NOT BUY ANY WISE PRODUCTS.  They are made from TVP.  Textured vegetable protein.  No meat in them.  Their calorie count is way off.  They have been sued because of it.

Your normal can goods will work as long as you rotate them.  Rice, beans.  Things you can yourself.  Try things out now.  You don't want to wait until WWIII to find out that you hate Spam or Top Romen.  Lol
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
My advice is to store extra of what you already eat. If you eat a case of canned fish a month stock up to where you're always sitting on a full case that gets rotated.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been buying Augason Farms stuff at Amazon. Mountain House and MRE's are in my pantry
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#5]
MRE brand.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MRE brand.
View Quote
Especially the "Not for Sale" USGI type, oh and SPAM.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mountain House
Alpine Air

These are good to go.  DO NOT BUY ANY WISE PRODUCTS.  They are made from TVP.  Textured vegetable protein.  No meat in them.  Their calorie count is way off.  They have been sued because of it.

Your normal can goods will work as long as you rotate them.  Rice, beans.  Things you can yourself.  Try things out now.  You don't want to wait until WWIII to find out that you hate Spam or Top Romen.  Lol
View Quote

This +1
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MRE brand.

Problem I have with MRE is that you don't know what temp they had been stored at and where I'm if the electric goes out in the summer and it gets to 120 degrees you would have to eat a lot of them fast!

Also cost and taste! I know because I lived off them for 21 months in Iraq most of them to me are not worth the taste to cost ratio. Most cases are going for $100+ for 12 meal right? That have only a 5 year shelf life if keep under 60 degrees. Maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mountain House
Alpine Air

View Quote

We all like spam rice and pineapple with cinnamon as a meal! Also I was a grunt and learned that tuna and Romen is the $hit! Love rice also.

Yet we don't eat that or have a lot of processed foods rice or noodles in our home as of right now. When I say a lot I mean for normal people who can't make it three days without running out of food! I could eat like a king and the rest of my family of 5 even the 4 dogs could. With as much Cupman Ramen all other noodles I have.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
What have you heard about 4Patriots?

I want to get my own freezer dryer that would be the best! But for now looking for something to buy.

Only reason I had to break in my stash anyway was because I took a job away from home and had no money until I was paid for that job and that took two weeks. Found out the stash I did use was all Sam's club buys.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Like others have already stated Mountain House is good to go and forms the core of my long-term food preps.

Nutrient Survival is a new company currently making the rounds with YouTube influencers  to get the word out.  Their claim to fame is incorporating vitamins into their foods.  As someone who currently uses supplements, this is of interest to me.   In a couple weeks they are coming out with single serving packages and I will be purchasing a few of each to see how they taste.

The owner made an appearance on tacticalrifleman last week around 8:55 and may be seen here:

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Like some of the others I keep a 50# bag of rice and about 25# of pintos that I cook from regularly and add to as well as other assorted dried beans. Spam and other canned goods in addition to a 6 month assortment of Wise, My Patriot Supply and others, freeze dried foods. A vacuum sealer and a dehydrator are also good to have. I have pulled steaks out of the deep freeze that were vacuum sealed 3 years earlier and the steaks were fork tender. Also, assortment of dried spices and seasonings goes along way when you are down to beans and rice.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Mountain House is my go to.  I have both pouches and #10 cans.

I also have some Honeyville #10 cans of rice and black beans.

I am curious about the Nutrient Survival and I am glad to hear they will be introducing single serving packages so that I can try them out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Even though I haven't tried them, I have heard good things about Honeyville and Auguson Farms products.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I've heard god things about Legacy brand stuff... I can't say personally as I haven't ever tried it.  They have a good reputation in the circles I am  in.  

Mt. House is always a goto! Good tasting too!

I currently do my own freeze dried stuff.  I love my freeze dryer! One of the best investments we ever made!

I know what goes into it.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top