Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2021 9:46:31 PM EDT
I bought this junk from Amazon and got what I paid for I guess.

I'm looking for a source for military issue poncho and woobie and can't seem to find them anywhere. Anyone have an online source for these? I've checked Sportsman Guide and Army Surplus Warehouse.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered talking to a recruiter and signing over your soul?  You could keep yours after 4 years
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They have some but, they are mostly the same chinese made junk. Thanks for the reply though!

Quoted:
Have you considered talking to a recruiter and signing over your soul?  You could keep yours after 4 years

I'm above the allowable age for enlistment but, if the going gets tough I'm ready.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Any surplus stores in your AO?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any surplus stores in your AO?
View Quote

There are but, I haven't seen any ponchos.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

F Galls.  They are our uniform supplier.  Just terrible.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he really means is you can get a statement of charges if you don’t turn it back in to CIF.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:33:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty sure Sportsmans Guide has them. I bought 2 new MARLAT and one OCP with the zippers in the last month.

Heck, if you wan an old faded USMC with decent loft,PM me and we can work out a price.

Would love to find some ponchos, though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

F Galls.  They are our uniform supplier.  Just terrible.
View Quote

When did they hook up with US CAV? I haven't ordered anything from them since I retired 5 years ago. Most of their stuff used to be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pretty sure Sportsmans Guide has them. I bought 2 new MARLAT and one OCP with the zippers in the last month.

Heck, if you wan an old faded USMC with decent loft,PM me and we can work out a price.

Would love to find some ponchos, though.
View Quote

I found a woobie at Sportsman Guide and I'm gonna try this poncho as well:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/brooklyn-armed-forces-enhanced-military-poncho-with-carrier-bag?a=2232868

Hopefully it's much higher quality than the chinese made junk I got from Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're anywhere near Fort Benning, you should be able to find them in the many surplus stores that cater to soldiers.  If you know someone with a military ID, they could take you to clothing sales on a military base.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're anywhere near Fort Benning, you should be able to find them in the many surplus stores that cater to soldiers.  If you know someone with a military ID, they could take you to clothing sales on a military base.
View Quote

I didn't think about Fort Benning. I used to be down there a lot when working a different job. If the one I ordered from SG doesn't work out that will be my next stop.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Coleman’s surplus in pa.  New and used for $59 and $39.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didn't think about Fort Benning. I used to be down there a lot when working a different job. If the one I ordered from SG doesn't work out that will be my next stop.
View Quote

If you're by Columbus they may be cheaper at Commandos or Ranger Joe
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#16]
EBay has U.S. Surplus poncho's and liners BDU, ACU, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I never found the issued poncho liner to be particularly useful. I stocked up on many spares through clothing and sales while I was still in, mainly because I wanted spares for inspections.

Over the years many people have posted about the various commercial " poncho liner equivalents" that have sparked my interest, but I've been unwilling to pay the asking price for what could at best be a minor improvement over the issued item
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do you specifically want a poncho liner?

A Snugpak Jungle Bag or Jungle Blanket is going to be warmer and more wind resistant. I have a half dozen poncho liners, and they're far from the worst option, but there are better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
So it looks like the "USGI surplus" poncho liners from Sportsman's guide are ... questionable.  I just put a review up. They're clearly different than some old surplus ones I have.  Made by BAF, I assume Brooklyn Armed Forces.  The loft seems comparable to USGI, however, so I plan on keeping them.  That being said ... the color and pattern look similar to the USGI posted in the OP

Edit:  pics.  The left is a kifaru woobie, the right is the BAF.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the US Issued Poncho Liner (AKA woobie) and several Snugpak Jungle Blankets and the Snugpak Jungle Blankets are better for most things.   The Jungle Blankets are slightly smaller (but now they offer an XL version), thicker, warmer, and will repel water but are missing the tie's of the Issued Poncho Liners.  I have slept comfortably under the Snugpak Jungle Blanket with temps in the high 40's, low 50's.   I keep an extra Jungle Blanket in my truck and one in my camper.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#23]
+1 on this.  Great kit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Snugpak makes or made a poncho liner with hood. I love that thing. The fact that it has a whole in the middle and specifically a hood makes it very practical
for just doing camp stuff while staying warm. The biggest problem I have with USGI poncho liners is no hole for your head. This is less than ideal and in the past
I had seen guys cut a hole and then sew up the edges. For practical use I hate poncho liners but the Snugpak model has me reconsidering that opinion. I have no idea
where to find them. Maybe a Google search.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#25]
You can get better these days op.

Check out the mest kore temp.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So it looks like the "USGI surplus" poncho liners from Sportsman's guide are ... questionable.  I just put a review up. They're clearly different than some old surplus ones I have.  Made by BAF, I assume Brooklyn Armed Forces.  The loft seems comparable to USGI, however, so I plan on keeping them.  That being said ... the color and pattern look similar to the USGI posted in the OP
View Quote

Well, this isn't reassuring. I'm still waiting on my package from SG.

The Snugpak products look pretty good. Does anyone have the liner and can post pics of it laid out? It doesn't look like it can lay flat(which is what I like about a standard liner).
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#27]
They lay flat just fine.   I can take a picture of it but it seems a little silly.   But mine are not the style with a hood.   Looking at Snugpak's website, I don't see an option to buy one with a hood so I cannot say what is up with that.  

2Hut8

Edit:   I stand corrected.    I was looking in the wrong part of their website.  https://snugpakusa.com/range.php?id=41
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]
@Loonytik

Stuff come in yet?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Loonytik

Stuff come in yet?
View Quote

@NotIssued

Yep. Much better quality than the junk from Amaz. The poncho is thicker and good quality but, the opening for the head is a bit small(I have a big head though). The woobie is definitely thicker and zips up all the way around.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Order a liner from group one equipment.

Build quality and materials are basically the same as kifaru at a much reduced price.

I have both, I have ended up buying 5 more from G1E for friends/family. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#31]
The only company I know of that makes a high-quality, integrated poncho/shelter and undergarment system is Wiggys.  The price is NOT cheap, but the quality is there.
Hill People also make similar products, and their quality is second-to-none.

There are other mfrs;  Suggest @ROCK6 as someone who has tried out many of these items.  His advice is valuable, because he has tried out the items, and has a good basis for his comparisons.  His intelligent comparisons are Key.  Anyone can buy an item, and have opinions.  Takes someone who has bought many similar items to give valid comparisons.

Mil-Surp ponchos and Woobies are barely tolerable as to even USGI "quality", and fakes abound, as OP has seen.

Listen to ROCK6.  He's well-informed, and I say that as someone who (I like to think) is not entirely ignorant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Build quality and materials are basically the same as kifaru at a much reduced price.

I have both, I have ended up buying 5 more from G1E for friends/family. Highly recommended.
View Quote

I have both a Kifaru woobie (and both kids have weebies), and a G1E.

When it's over 60 degrees, they're a bit of overkill.  

I have the 2 fakes above, 2 or 3 well used USMC digi and one old a$$ almost ERDL type.  And I'll be honest,  the legit ones are on their last legs, and mostly used for padding the dog house.

I also grabbed a few from Grunt Style, which are ok, but not super warm. They're in the original string/tie in configuration.   The fakes at least have zippers too and can make a decent warm weather bag (though I bought them to augment my kids sleeping bags around 20 degrees.)
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He's well-informed...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
He's well-informed...

Thanks Raf, well-informed through a lot of trial and errors and my fair share of failures

I need to hit the clothing and sales on post, but I haven't seen issued poncho liners in some time.  For a simple above 60-degree "throw blanket", the replicas are probably fine as is used inside your sleeping bag for a little more comfort.  For a little better product, it looks like most prices are around $100 (which is kind of ridiculous), unless you want to get into the really high-end Kifaru, HPG, or Wilderness Innovations options; and then there are your cottage custom dri-down quilts that are very similar and serious insulation pieces.  

I don't think the ratings are going to be much better than a USGI poncho liner, but the top three I would consider:

Snugpak Jungle bag

Helikon Tex Swagman Roll

Wiggys Poncho Liner (or Insulated Poncho)

The Wiggy's is your more traditional poncho liner style, but the material is more robust with better insulation; they also have an "insulated poncho which is actually a little cheaper, but more like the original in construction yet with upgraded insulation and a hood (integrates with standard USGI ponchos).  Snugpak has the jungle bag and blanket, but the bag can open up like a blanket or be used like a sleeping bag.  For the price, everyone should have one as part of their light travel kit.  The Swagman Roll is solid and built like the jungle bag, but can be worn as well...very versatile.  

The higher end "woobies" are getting so expensive as to question your purpose of a serious sleeping bag/quilt in a more more effective insulation like 850+treated down.  I will say, I've used Kifaru's Woobie, HPT's Mt. Serape, and Wilderness Innovation's Onsi Cloak in Iraq and Afghanistan...both are more than capable and more than just insulation...excellent products, but you pay for that type of quality, performance, and versatility.

Quoted:

More of your traditional poncho liner, these are well priced for the materials...looks like a solid option.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#34]
They have ponchos, some US some Nato.  Here is what you seek. https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-poncho-liner-used
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Any surplus poncho made more than a few years ago, is quite likely--or will be likely-- suffering from the deterioration of the polyurethane water-proofing material.  This is an inevitable, time-related process.  Few realistic remedies.  Can be recognized by the PU stink given-off, no pun intended.

I no longer suggest USGI ponchos, not least due to their age.  At this point, all of them are likely to be at, or almost at, the decomposition/stink point.

BTW, this same decomposition/stink factor is an inherent characteristic of all Polyurethane-coated fabric, given time.  Your old ALICE pack is made of this type of fabric, and so are many new items.

An informative article, and highly suggested reading: https://www.slingfin.com/blogs/the-beta/fabric-coatings-101-pu-vs-pe-vs-silicone
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why do you specifically want a poncho liner?

A Snugpak Jungle Bag or Jungle Blanket is going to be warmer and more wind resistant. I have a half dozen poncho liners, and they're far from the worst option, but there are better.
View Quote

This^^^
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any surplus poncho made more than a few years ago, is quite likely--or will be likely-- suffering from the deterioration of the polyurethane water-proofing material.  This is an inevitable, time-related process.  Few realistic remedies.  Can be recognized by the PU stink given-off, no pun intended.

I no longer suggest USGI ponchos, not least due to their age.  At this point, all of them are likely to be at, or almost at, the decomposition/stink point.

BTW, this same decomposition/stink factor is an inherent characteristic of all Polyurethane-coated fabric, given time.  Your old ALICE pack is made of this type of fabric, and so are many new items.

An informative article, and highly suggested reading: https://www.slingfin.com/blogs/the-beta/fabric-coatings-101-pu-vs-pe-vs-silicone
View Quote

I see a fair number of NATO ponchos, including the "Angolan army" poncho.  They look pretty similar to the woodland camo, and I'd be curious if anyone has any real world experience with them.

As it is, I recently grabbed 2 ACU pattern ponchos (in like-new condition) and 4 ACU bivy liners (again, like-new/not issued).  I figure these will be a good start to my kids in the camping world.

Edit: ACU tarps, not ponchos.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Wilderness Innovation makes ponchos and liners (called the Osni Cloak) that fit together. They are extremely well made, to order, by Americans in Utah. The owner has quite a few videos on YouTube demonstrating his products in adverse conditions.

The Osni is much warmer than a USGI poncho liner, more on par with a HPG Mountain Serape. I have both.

The Helikon-Tex Swagman Roll is nicer than a USGI poncho liner in that it can be worn as a cloak, and has pockets. It has toggles on the corners so you can attach it to one of their or a USGI poncho and use it like a Ranger Roll. It's thinner than the Osni or MS, closer to a USGI poncho liner.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I see a fair number of NATO ponchos, including the "Angolan army" poncho.  They look pretty similar to the woodland camo, and I'd be curious if anyone has any real world experience with them.

As it is, I recently grabbed 2 ACU pattern ponchos (in like-new condition) and 4 ACU bivy liners (again, like-new/not issued).  I figure these will be a good start to my kids in the camping world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It >>should<< be possible to dye ACU ponchos to greener, or browner colors, but that will require a pretty big dyeing tub, and Lots of dye.  I have serious reservations about dyeing any item that includes a membrane, such as Gore-Tex, for fear of the dye particles clogging the very fine pores in the membrane, and so making it useless.  Not saying it can't be done, but doing so is unknown territory.  Not sure how such dyed material could be tested, outside of a lab, to see if membrane permeability was affected by dyeing. Most ponchos do not have such a membrane, and are not subject to this caution..
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#40]
So I meant to say I'd picked up tarps, not ponchos.

I don't plan on dyeing anything. They're 8 and 6, this isn't tactical by any means.  Hell, I want to find them!
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Small update.

Took the kids camping yesterday, coolest overnight temp was 67, a bit humid (for WI). Drove to a site, popped up the tent, very little actual "real" camping.

The BAF "poncho liner" mentioned above was the perfect bag. Slept in a t-shirt and shorts, no issues.  I'm still not convinced that it's the real deal, but as a piece of kit it held up and did it's job.  I brought a bivy bag just in case,  didn't need it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Army surplus if you have one close by.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm tempted to order the Group One Equipment (G1E) 8 oz. liner. I have tried contacting them to ask a question, but they don't respond neither do they have a phone number. I am a little bit leery about giving them my money if they don't have a reasonable means of contact.

In comparing warmth (or lack of it), how does their 8 oz. liner compare for warmth. Just trying to gain a minimal or even rough understanding of its' characteristics and packability.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Those are pretty nice, but the sleeves are short.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm tempted to order the Group One Equipment (G1E) 8 oz. liner. I have tried contacting them to ask a question, but they don't respond neither do they have a phone number. I am a little bit leery about giving them my money if they don't have a reasonable means of contact.

In comparing warmth (or lack of it), how does their 8 oz. liner compare for warmth. Just trying to gain a minimal or even rough understanding of its' characteristics and packability.
View Quote

I emailed them and it took about a month to respond. Gear seems OK, I didn't get a chance to use it this winter.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Old Grouch Surplus

The owner is a long time member here. If you don't see it on the website, email him. Great guy, very easy to deal with. I've bought a few thousand dollars worth of stuff from him over the years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top