Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 3:28:27 PM EDT
I have a couple of pairs of ACU pants (large/regular) that I need knee pad inserts for.  I tried 5.11 pads but they are just a tad short and it was noticeable during a recent carbine class on gravel.

Are these Tru-Spec ones good?

https://www.rangerjoes.com/Knee-Pad-Inserts-for-ACU-Pants-P2720.aspx

Any and all advice on the topic is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Knee pads inserts are annoying. In the very rare occasion I wear knee pads, the arcteryx pucks are second to none
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Knee pads inserts are annoying. In the very rare occasion I wear knee pads, the arcteryx pucks are second to none
View Quote

@moximouse

Like these?

https://www.uspatriottactical.com/arcteryx-combat-knee-cap/419384.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw_jV8NGR7gIVCTKGCh3P9wVKEAQYASABEgLHLfD_BwE
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
We used to just wrap cardboard in duct tape.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We used to just wrap cardboard in duct tape.
View Quote

Haha, if it works, why not!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Any decent GI knee pads will do for short-duration range use, but also consider elbow pads for same situation.

Long-term usage is best addressed with arc'teryx knee pads.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any decent GI knee pads will do for short-duration range use, but also consider elbow pads for same situation.

Long-term usage is best addressed with arc'teryx knee pads.
View Quote

Thank you for the input, @raf.  I’ll shop around for best pricing on the arc’teryx.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If you really want inserts get a foam sleeping pad or yoga mat and cut them to fit. If I remember correctly the inserts were of similar material.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
If you really want inserts get a foam sleeping pad or yoga mat and cut them to fit. If I remember correctly the inserts were of similar material.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
GI foam sleeping pads have a million uses when cut up for projects.  Save some $ and buy ones that are slightly damaged.  Buy more than you think you'll need; You'll find uses for 'em.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I use this style knee pads, I tried just about every other style before.

There are also ones made for volleyball that are a little thicker padding. Great for working in the yard when worn over pants though, they baseball style works under pants better though

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bcg-adults-basketball-knee-pads#repChildCatid=1543753
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought the foam inserts worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I recalled your question when I ran across my bin of knee and elbow pads recently.

Info from packaging to support online search, looks like some available on ebay.  Pretty sure these were the pad inserts for the original ACU:

NSN 8415-01-502-0520
Part #: MAFC04298

"1 Package of 4: Elbow and Knee Pads
One Size Fits All"

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I recalled your question when I ran across my bin of knee and elbow pads recently.

Info from packaging to support online search, looks like some available on ebay.  Pretty sure these were the pad inserts for the original ACU:

NSN 8415-01-502-0520
Part #: MAFC04298

"1 Package of 4: Elbow and Knee Pads
One Size Fits All"

View Quote

I’m still reading all the replies.  Thank you for all of the suggestions/advice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I got both internal pads and ordered the Arcteryx ones, though the latter are still back-ordered in green color so I ordered the black ones from Arms Unlimited yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the Tru-Spec ones you have linked.  They fit well in the pocket insert they were designed to go in.  For me, they sit right below the kneecap when standing, completely missing it.  When I take a knee, they barely catch the pad.  I'm a short guy so it may be a different experience with larger sizes.  As others have said, they are annoying but I'll keep them in there to act as shin guards as well.   I prefer not to use actual kneepads, but I know the inserts don't offer the same level of protection.  I wouldn't recommend them even though I use them.  They feel weird until you get used to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top