Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2017 4:43:01 PM EDT
I wanted a pair, but I wasn't quite ready when I actually found a pair in my size, 13 wide, and waterproof, so I scooped them up.

They are comfortable, I wore them to church the other day with jeans. They just seem hot, from the waterproof liner perhaps?

But what bothers me is how the shoe laces attached. Those little nylon "web" straps. There's a set of speed hooks on top, but no actual eyelet below it. So if you don't use the hooks, the laces pull directly on the little straps. Do these really hold up? Or do I really need to lace them to the top?

Foreign made, now I'm wondering if these are really any better than the new balance they are replacing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine! I bought a set of the mid gore-tex at the start of summer. They get hard use with a combination of daily wear, work (outdoors) and hiking. They have taken everything I've thrown at them. No issue with water leaks and incredible grip scaling hillsides. I've had no issues with the lace loops. I loosely tie them w/o hooks for around the house so I can slip them on and off then shank them up tight w/ hooks when hiking or other strenuous activity.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine but yeah, I've had one of the loops wear through (one closest to the toe of all places) and a second was on it's way out (about where my ankle was).  The boots were in pretty rough shape by that point so I tossed 'em.  Currently I've got a pair of the Gore-Tex mids that I rarely wear and some non Gore-Tex lows that I sometimes wear hiking.  I wear Tevas or Chacos hiking more often than boots or approach shoes anymore.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the original Moabs that I purchased in 2012 that are still going good. Beginning to look at replacements. If the 2s are just as good I'd consider getting them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#4]
On my 5th pair. Prolly be my last.
These are the water proof lows.
The are hot vs standard Moab vents.
They are also starting to separate when your foot bends 
First one I've had do that.

Attachment Attached File

I'm happier with my keen targhee miss. Second pair has changed some things..they seem stiffer than my first pair. But are not broke in as well yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Hiked 100s of miles in each pair I've owned, 3 total and never had an issue with lacing webs. Soles wear faster than I would like though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm on my 2nd pair. 1st pair the sole separated within a month, so I took them back for a new set.

This pair I've worn out the tread. I just ordered another set. Hope they don't fall apart.

I like the Mid, non goretex.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine. My first pair Ive had for a few years have done many hikes but now they just work with me in the yard. My second pair I bought are my non work shoes and they are already a couple years old and still like new. I will say the actual goretex ones I bought are better than the cheaper non goretex ones.

I will be buying them again. No reason to ever switch
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I seen sportsman guide had tactical Moab vents online...for you tier 1 hiker types out there 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170810_111400-276524.JPG

I'm happier with my keen targhee miss. Second pair has changed some things..they seem stiffer than my first pair. But are not broke in as well yet.
View Quote
Just threw mine out for the same reason.
I have the replacement in the truck and I wear the lows now.
The lined ones are hot even in late fall...those will never wear out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20170810_111400-276524.JPG

I've wore out my first targhee mids pretty good. Uppers are going strong. Soles, not so much. I use them doing yard work. 
But itvtook 3 years and daily wear to do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had mine since 2015 love them used them in North Dakota Winters and now on hikes in Southwest Texas!

They for a time 2015-2016 where my everyday boot walking  several miles each day for my job like 10+ miles in an 8 hour day.

They are warm in the Texas desert with them being waterproof that is there only problem I have seen other then my first pair when I laced them up one of the loops popped but I was able to get a new pair.

I'm looking at buying the Merrell Moab Ventilator as I do love my Moab.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I had mine for 2.5 years, until the waterproofing failed entirely.
It was a great boot, very comfortable, and felt like a running shoe.
But after 2.5 years, I began to notice my feet getting wet during rainy days or walking through puddles.
The final straw was when my socks were wet just from walking through cut grass where it had rained the day before. Thanks to REI for their great return policy, I replaced them with Vasque.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Just picked up a pair of my own, I'm considering wearing them everyday (outside work, of course, as steel toes are required) and doing a write up on how they work out for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a pair of Keen's, honestly can't remember the model, I keep in my work truck as part of my GHB.  I've had several other pairs of Keen's over the years and I have only one point to make.

Some are US made and are far superior to those made off shore.  Check where they are made before you buy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#16]
mall walk shoes
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I've worn Merrell MOABs for over 15 years and have probably a half dozen pair around the house in various stages of wear. Typically purchase the waterproof version lows, but have owned the Ventilator lows as well. Not a big fan of the mid-height "boot" due to the extra bulk around my ankle. Plus I don't really need the extra support. The first pair I had were my favorite as the front toe kick went over the top of of the shoe sorta like the Keens do, they also used actual Gore-Tex fabric for waterproofing. Merrell ditched this design and went with the current look with their own proprietary waterproof material - although now the MOAB 2 comes in a Gore-Tex version which I'll probably go with on my next pair (YOU CANNOT BEAT WL GORE FOR WATERPROOFING). That's my only design "gripe"- the toe box design. To me the original was more durable during hard use. Especially when I used them during SAR operations in North GA and East TN (Note: that is a lifetime ago as my body cannot take the abuse anymore).

I use the WP lows in the "espresso" brown color currently and have used them primarily for work, however have recently had to ditch the "civilian" version for the newer "work/safety toe" since I'm required to wear safety toe shoes now. Still evaluating the "work" version and will continue to use the MOAB 2 for everyday use for hiking, fishing, camping, etc.

Breakage wise....the only things that have occurred is upper eyelet rip on one pair - which REI swapped out at no charge. Soles do wear quick especially for me due to being on concrete and around oil/auto fluids, dirt, etc. (I work for a major metal recycler in the SE).

Overall though...you cannot go wrong with the MOABs. I hope whatever issue Merrell is having with V2 is fixed. I would hate to have to switch to another brand.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 2:59:11 AM EDT
[#18]
No.

Merrills are comfortable and have almost no break in, but are pretty much disposable footwear. They're great...just to have to understand what they are.

Civilian brands I have owned ranked by durability/longevity:

Merrill, Keen, Salomon, Danner, Garmont, Lowa, Asolo

Danners might have been a one off...crater rims fell apart pretty quick. Good luck killing Lowa or Asolo. The soles will wear through before the uppers fall apart unless you live full time in talcum-like silica dust. There's a reason they cost what they do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
My Merrells have been the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, with the first dating back to circa 2000. I have two sets of Moab 2s in current use and an older Moab (circa 2011?) that are on backup reserve in the GHB.

One of my Moab 2s is waterproof. The waterproofing works, but the shoe is a bit tighter and warmer than the one that's not waterproof, presumably because of whatever liner they use.

The older pair of  Moabs came with elastic "slip-on" laces, which I loved -- they're still in great shape. The newer ones didn't come with those, but I replaced the original laces with a set of elastic laces I found on Amazon. No problems with any of the laces, straps, soles or anything else. Great shoes!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had 2 pairs I bought 6 or 7 years ago. The second pair will need to be replaced maybe next summer. I wear them whenever I am not in work shoes and they have been hiking in Colorado 3 times, Nevada, Florida, Appalachians for big trips. They are the best and most durable shoe in my opinion. I wear 13's and my foot is wide. They never even needed broken in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top