Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2015 5:02:34 PM EDT
This first aid system was designed for storage in my truck and can be used for camping, ATVing, shooting events, and other out door functions. The system is almost complete, barring some minor tweeking here and there.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Info about the main pack (start @ 6:33)

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Epic set up, and I love the organization / tracking system.

What's your background & skill level? A lot of those items are above my skill.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks, my OCD is paying off

My background/skill level = Basic first aid training (Military) and first responder training (State of CA). Most of the items in the kit are associated with basic first aid. There are a couple of items, e.g., Tension Pneumothorax Decompression Needle, Pulse Oximeter, etc  I haven't trained with yet (will be taking some refresher/new training in next couple of months to make sure I know how to use the items). As for the suture kit, I'll be taking a class on suturing but its highly unlikely I'll ever need/use it. I have it in my kit because it came with the minor surgery case I purchased. I got the kit because of the Hemostats and to organize my medical instruments. Also, as part of my preps, I'm thinking of taking EMT classes, which should come in handy.

To be honest, I've learned so much putting this kit together. For example, prior to putting the kit together I had a basic understanding/training on the use of a Tourniquet however I didn't really know much about the SOFTT-W, SWAT-T, and CAT Tourniquets and how to use them. I do now (thanks Youtube). I highly recommend everyone put some kind of kit together just for the learning experience alone.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]

I need to step it up. I wouldn't know how to use a lot of that stuff though. Cool. Kind of inspirational actually.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My background/skill level = Basic first aid training (Military) and first responder training (State of CA). Most of the items in the kit are associated with basic first aid. There are a couple of items, e.g., Tension Pneumothorax Decompression Needle, Pulse Oximeter, etc  I haven't trained with yet (will be taking some refresher/new training in next couple of months to make sure I know how to use the items). As for the suture kit, I'll be taking a class on suturing but its highly unlikely I'll ever need/use it. I have it in my kit because it came with the minor surgery case I purchased. I got the kit because of the Hemostats and to organize my medical instruments. Also, as part of my preps, I'm thinking of taking EMT classes, which should come in handy.

To be honest, I've learned so much putting this kit together. For example, prior to putting the kit together I had a basic understanding/training on the use of a Tourniquet however I didn't really know much about the SOFTT-W, SWAT-T, and CAT Tourniquets and how to use them. I do now (thanks Youtube). I highly recommend everyone put some kind of kit together just for the learning experience alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I guess I should have said "a few of those items" - mostly the thoracic stuff and some of the medical gear.  Got my WFA cert this spring, and looking for a WFR class in the area this fall/winter if I can find one.  I'm building 3 basic kits (1 per car/GHB) and will then build a larger EMS style bag I'll take with me.  It would stay in the car/truck while hiking or should I ever need to walk home while the mini-kit will stay with me/on me at all times.

Your inventory sheets look laminated.  How do you update the expiration dates?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Okay, I guess I should have said "a few of those items" - mostly the thoracic stuff and some of the medical gear.  Got my WFA cert this spring, and looking for a WFR class in the area this fall/winter if I can find one.  I'm building 3 basic kits (1 per car/GHB) and will then build a larger EMS style bag I'll take with me.  It would stay in the car/truck while hiking or should I ever need to walk home while the mini-kit will stay with me/on me at all times.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, would like to see your kits when you finish them; always looking for new ideas.

As for the inventory, only the front page, which should never change, is laminated. The rest of the inventory is on paper, which is stapled together and tucked into a plastic pouch that's affixed to the back of the laminated front page (see pic below). I did this so I can easily update the list and someone can pull it out if need be. I attached the inventory to a lighted keychain so a person could easily look at the list at night. I got the red lighted keychain to help preserve night vision.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Sketti - I'm digging your rig here.  I don't have access to youtube but could you provide some details on the pack please?

Also, may I ask what the headset and watch would be used for in your setup?

Lastly - is that a seatbelt cutter on your pack?    

7R0N
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sketti - I'm digging your rig here.  I don't have access to youtube but could you provide some details on the pack please?

Also, may I ask what the headset and watch would be used for in your setup?

Lastly - is that a seatbelt cutter on your pack?    

7R0N
View Quote

The pack is the TACOPS® M9 Assault Medical Backpack. I like it because it's pretty thin and can fit easily under my truck seat. Unfortunately its pretty pricey but I believe you can find them on Ebay for a lot less.

The headset is used to free my hands to work on the injured while talking to the 911 operator, etc

The watch is used for checking blood pressure and noting time, e.g., when a tourniquet is placed, etc. I don't normally wear a watch so I needed one just in case.

Yes, I have the Leatherman Z Rex Tool attached to the side of the main pack and the Leatherman RAPTOR Emergency Medical Tool attached to the front of the pack (see below).

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Rog - appreciate the answers.  I just added a few things to my wish list.

Good job on your setup and smart idea on the headset, I never thought about that.    

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rog - appreciate the answers.  I just added a few things to my wish list.

Good job on your setup and smart idea on the headset, I never thought about that.    

View Quote

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing that gets used to the point of needing frequent resupply in my field first aid kit is MOLESKIN.  I may have missed it but I didn't see it on the list.  By far the most common injury in the field is foot blisters.  If you can find it get MoleFoam, it works better than Moleskin.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only thing that gets used to the point of needing frequent resupply in my field first aid kit is MOLESKIN.  I may have missed it but I didn't see it on the list.  By far the most common injury in the field is foot blisters.  If you can find it get MoleFoam, it works better than Moleskin.
View Quote

I have moleskin in my kit, its under the Burns and Blisters section. I'll check out the Molefoam though, always trying to make a better kit. Thanks!

Update: Ok ordered some for my kit, thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Top score on the inventory control sheets! Did you put those together in inDesign or Photoshop, or some other Adobe app?

This kit is so far over my paygrade, I am not qualified to touch half of it LOL. It looks well thought out and executed.

WSS
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Top score on the inventory control sheets! Did you put those together in inDesign or Photoshop, or some other Adobe app?

This kit is so far over my paygrade, I am not qualified to touch half of it LOL. It looks well thought out and executed.

WSS
View Quote

Thank you sir. The inventory is a 2003 Microsoft Word document.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, my level of OCD doesn't even come close to that. Nice setup! Will be subscribing to this thread and making some mods to the kit I keep in my truck.

Very nice job.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow, my level of OCD doesn't even come close to that. Nice setup! Will be subscribing to this thread and making some mods to the kit I keep in my truck.

Very nice job.
View Quote

LOL, I think I have super OCD! You should see all the packs/pouches/ etc I have that I didn't use to get this kit just the way I wanted it.

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#18]
awesome! love the inventory idea..  I use my kit so little, this would help a lot.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
awesome! love the inventory idea..  I use my kit so little, this would help a lot.  

View Quote

Thank you sir! The inventory is actually only a small part of something bigger I'm working on for myself and friends.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't see a headlamp in there, it would be nice to keep one with the kit.

I'd steer clear of red for medical purposes, consider a green lens if you need to preserve NV. Blood can't be seen with a red lens light.

Would you consider forwarding me the MS Excel template? I'd love to play with it and modify it for some of my own lists, I'm just terrible with making inventing forms on Excel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I didn't see a headlamp in there, it would be nice to keep one with the kit.

I'd steer clear of red for medical purposes, consider a green lens if you need to preserve NV. Blood can't be seen with a red lens light.

Would you consider forwarding me the MS Excel template? I'd love to play with it and modify it for some of my own lists, I'm just terrible with making inventing forms on Excel.
View Quote

I do have a headlamp, its listed in the Medical Instruments/ Tools section. I agree with you, a headlamp is a must to have in a med kit. The list light I mentioned is red and its only to read the kit list at night (if necessary) or to mark the location of the main pack; its not used for medical purposes. However, I do need to check my headlamp/flash light for a green filter, thanks for the heads up!

The inventory list is a 2003 MS Word doc, not Excel; sorry!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top