Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2015 10:24:24 PM EDT
Looking for the cheapest 18650 LED light I can find.  We are standardizing on them for our heavy use lights here....   Why do I want cheap?  OK you busted me.  The real reason is that my 3 year old daughter has recently become obsessed with flashlights and has blasted through a small mountain of AAs in our cheapo LED lights. She's getting upgraded to rechargeable and all my rechargeable flashlights use 18650s.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v4-xml2-t6-18650-flashlight-p-308.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Amazon has a bunch under $10, but battery and charger are extra.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:20:21 AM EDT
[#3]
AA Eneloops

18650 are too dangerous for kids. Especially in a high power light. Eneloops won't explode when discharged too fast.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What do you call high power?   Can anyone expand on this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AA Eneloops

18650 are too dangerous for kids. Especially in a high power light. Eneloops won't explode when discharged too fast.

this x1000

I don't see many 18650 lights that put out less than 500 lumens on the top end. Lots of them are close to 1000. At that level the light puts out a huge amount of heat. Enough to burn someone. Unprotected cells would be extremely bad for a kid. You would ruin them as soon as they were over discharged the first time, if it didn't burn.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't see many 18650 lights that put out less than 500 lumens on the top end. Lots of them are close to 1000. At that level the light puts out a huge amount of heat. Enough to burn someone. Unprotected cells would be extremely bad for a kid. You would ruin them as soon as they were over discharged the first time, if it didn't burn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AA Eneloops

this x1000

So use protected cells.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So use protected cells.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AA Eneloops

this x1000

So use protected cells.

Repeatedly draining a lithium ion battery all the way down until the protection kicks in will kill the battery in short order.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Repeatedly draining a lithium ion battery all the way down until the protection kicks in will kill the battery in short order.
View Quote

unless you are buying really, really, and did i mention really cheap ass Chinese lights all are going to have low voltage shutoff built into the driver circuit. the shutoff can be anywhere from 3.2-2.8v so the cell remains safe.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

this x1000
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AA Eneloops

this x1000

I don't have any eneloops although I've heard you guys talking about them.

Can you charge them and leave them charged for long periods (6mo-year)?
Can they be substituted for any device that would normally hold the particular size?
Are they damaged by leaving them discharged for a prolonged period?
Any catches other than cost?

Also I appreciate the replies. I honestly had not thought about the safety aspects of using the lithium. She likes to turn the light on and then forget about it until it dies which I could see being a fire hazard if she dropped it into her toy box or something and it overheated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can they be substituted for any device that would normally hold the particular size?

Also I appreciate the replies. I honestly had not thought about the safety aspects of using the lithium. She likes to turn the light on and then forget about it until it dies which I could see being a fire hazard if she dropped it into her toy box or something and it overheated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AA Eneloops

this x1000

I don't know about leaving them discharged but they are famous for holding a charge over years.  They have very low self discharge rates. Use them in place of any AA battery.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
for her just getting the cheapest nicad rechargeables you can find might be best. they are not that expensive compared to alkalines and if you get 20 charges out of them before she kills them you come out ahead.

would also be a good time to teach her about responsibility such as turning thigs off properly and taking care of it.
View Quote

I think this is the most prudent.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
for her just getting the cheapest nicad rechargeables you can find might be best. they are not that expensive compared to alkalines and if you get 20 charges out of them before she kills them you come out ahead.

would also be a good time to teach her about responsibility such as turning thigs off properly and taking care of it
View Quote

Oh yes...  We are on that part hard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cause 3: Over-discharged.
Applications without over-discharge preventing device can cause
batteries to over-discharge. For example, use low current draw LED light
until battery runs out, it cause over-discharge and later cannot charge
the battery correctly. Recharging battery 2-3 times solves this problem
but if the problem still persists, It is considered battery’ s life span has
ended and please stop using. Continuous over-discharging causes
damage to the batteries. We recommend to recharge the battery, once
luminous energy become low or battery energy become low during
using LED light

View Quote

I have been designing and manufacturing Ni-MH & Ni-Cd chemistry battery chargers for 25 yrs.
The following are generalized comments. Cells from different manufactures will have different parameters.
This is not really true for a single cell but it is true for multiple cells in series. With multiple cells and discharging to zero volts, one of the cells with go to zero first and other(s) will reverse charge that cell as the load current runs thru it. This will damage the zero volt cell.

There is no reason to discharge a Ni cell much below 1.0v. At this point something like 95% of stored energy has been used. Anything further is waste of time and risks damaging the cell if used in a series application.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have been designing and manufacturing Ni-MH & Ni-Cd chemistry battery chargers for 25 yrs.
The following are generalized comments. Cells from different manufactures will have different parameters.
This is not really true for a single cell but it is true for multiple cells in series. With multiple cells and discharging to zero volts, one of the cells with go to zero first and other(s) will reverse charge that cell as the load current runs thru it. This will damage the zero volt cell.

There is no reason to discharge a Ni cell much below 1.0v. At this point something like 95% of stored energy has been used. Anything further is waste of time and risks damaging the cell if used in a series application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
using LED light

OK so other than remove the battery and check it with a volt meter after each use how do you propose a person uses  rechargeable battery that won't damage it?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

OK so other than remove the battery and check it with a volt meter after each use how do you propose a person uses  rechargeable battery that won't damage it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
using LED light

Steal her light from her every few days and charge it up! LOL!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 4 of these 18650 lights. $7.99 a piece, bright as hell, 5 mode, if I lose one meh.
https://www.dealmetic.com/product.asp?ID=FL05518

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
this x1000
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AA Eneloops

this x1000

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of my cheap 18650 lights get pretty hot.  

I usually give my kids some AA or AAA lights that they can play with.  

Go to lowes and buy a mega pack of their off brand AA or AAA batteries.   Those last a LONG time.   Plus, I find my rechargable batteries to be too expensive for the kids, as they have a tendency to lose the lights.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#25]
$20 well spent; very bright, with battery and charger; 1200 lumens
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I946KU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-XP-E2-Pocket-Light-Keychain/dp/B00I8D4AMA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427523779&sr=8-7&keywords=fenix+e12

eta:
http://www.midwestblade.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=140&virtuemart_category_id=154  
Got a email this morning:
30% off ALL Fenix Flashlights.  Use Coupon Code: 30offFenix
Includes all Fenix Flashlights, Batteries, and Chargers!
Offers good while supplies last.
Offers expires at 11:59pm (CDT) Friday, April 3, 2015.

I think this is a good deal (above).
I have several, the latest a PD35 at 960 lumens; a little larger than I care to carry in a pocket, but it does fit.
I also bought a NiteCore I4 charger that charges a large range of battery types including AA & 18650, CR123A, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
$20 well spent; very bright, with battery and charger; 1200 lumens
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I946KU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-XP-E2-Pocket-Light-Keychain/dp/B00I8D4AMA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427523779&sr=8-7&keywords=fenix+e12

eta:
http://www.midwestblade.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=140&virtuemart_category_id=154  
Got a email this morning:
30% off ALL Fenix Flashlights.  Use Coupon Code: 30offFenix
Includes all Fenix Flashlights, Batteries, and Chargers!
Offers good while supplies last.
Offers expires at 11:59pm (CDT) Friday, April 3, 2015.

I think this is a good deal (above).
I have several, the latest a PD35 at 960 lumens; a little larger than I care to carry in a pocket, but it does fit.
I also bought a NiteCore I4 charger that charges a large range of battery types including AA & 18650, CR123A, etc.
View Quote

I almost bought the PD40 off midwestblade but they don't sell the battery.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Batman
try http://www.orbtronic.com/26650-batteries-chargers-li-ion-IMR-LiFePO4  or Amazon.com
I ordered some 18650s from Amazon and they came from Orbtronic.com
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I like these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIYKHVO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work great and if I destroy or lose one its not a big deal at that price..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top