Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2014 9:31:55 PM EDT

My 10 year old Amanda and I went to Target this morning and came
home with a couple Stanley nesting cook sets. They are a 24 oz. stainless steel
billy pot with two plastic cups that nest inside.

The diameter at the top is about 3.75" and it's about 6" tall.

Each
set was $14.95 + tax. They are well made, except for the way the handle
is attached to the lid. If you leave it alone it's ok but if you
replace the plastic tab with a stainless steel split ring you run the
risk of breaking the tiny spot welds that hold it in place. (Yes, I
popped one of the welds.) The plastic lid handle will work ok if you
just use it on a stove but if you want to stick it right in your
campfire, the plastic will melt in short order. I might replace the lid
handle with a wooden knob held on with a stainless screw, or make an
aluminum knob on my lathe.

We tested one on my kitchen
stove to make hot chocolate and as long as the pot handle was kept away
from the flames it stayed cool. The cups stay cool when filled with hot
liquid.

The Stanley cookset will nest inside a GSI Space Saver Cup that
fits on the bottom of a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle. From reading on Bushcraft
USA, if you take out one of the cups you can store a folding canister stove and a
small size butane canister inside the pot.

This is a
pretty nice piece of gear for $15. IMO it would make a good cookset to keep in a BOB. Mine will come along on day hikes for
boiling water for tea and hot chocolate. The graduations stamped on the
side will come in handy if I decide to bring along any dehydrated
meals.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Walmart sells these too. I've picked up a couple. Nice economical cook set.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Will they hold a quart of water or more ?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get the lids separate directly from stanley and they fit GSI mugs or the ozark trail walmart knockoff.  I nest a 1L nalgene bottle in a GSI mug and couldn't find a good lid till I was able to source one of these.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can get the lids separate directly from stanley and they fit GSI mugs or the ozark trail walmart knockoff.  I nest a 1L nalgene bottle in a GSI mug and couldn't find a good lid till I was able to source one of these.
View Quote

That's good info.  Can you share a link?  I'm not having any luck on the website.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a post we done on this a while back. I have yet to use mine.Link
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
they have a larger set aswell, i have been ususing it for cooking at home for the past few months and its holding up pretty well. it comes with two large bowls with lids and a breakdown spatula and ladle
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Filled to the lip it holds 24 oz., so .75 quart.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been looking at these for a while. Might have to bite.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

looking for something that holds a quart or close to.
I'm going to try and find them in my local stores when the ice melts.

Thanks for posting OP

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a couple.  Really neat little kits/ pots.  I don't find myself using it much though because for me it seems to fall right in-between that not really necessary size when you already carry a Nalgene w/ nesting cup, and a larger pot or kettle for cooking a meal in.  Most of the time I use a Snow Peak Kettle No 1 which is 30 oz along with an OLICamp Nalgene nesting cup.

During an extended hunting trip in the Rockies I also found I really like a cheap 99c pie pan.  Great for eating in, frying in, holding stuff, use my Leatherman as a handle etc.  If it gets smashed or broken its less then 1$.

If your looking for solid robust long lasting cooking gear for camping, hunting, bushcraft or preparedness you can't go wrong with any of what's pictured above.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:19:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a couple.  Really neat little kits/ pots.  I don't find myself using it much though because for me it seems to fall right in-between that not really necessary size when you already carry a Nalgene w/ nesting cup, and a larger pot or kettle for cooking a meal in.  Most of the time I use a Snow Peak Kettle No 1 which is 30 oz along with an OLICamp Nalgene nesting cup.

During an extended hunting trip in the Rockies I also found I really like a cheap 99c pie pan.  Great for eating in, frying in, holding stuff, use my Leatherman as a handle etc.  If it gets smashed or broken its less then 1$.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/co2014/WP_20141023_017_zpsee378484.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/P1010036_zpsf02f5b62.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/PICT0334_zps84b2cd59.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/Gear/PICT0322_zps682a2c86.jpg

If your looking for solid robust long lasting cooking gear for camping, hunting, bushcraft or preparedness you can't go wrong with any of what's pictured above.
View Quote

Thanks for the pics that helps.
I been intending on getting a grease pot after seeing the pics I think the
grease pot may work better for me.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up one of the stanley sets a couple weeks back.  I havent had the chance to use it, but its nice to know its getting some good marks here.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the cups (GSI, IIRC) most often seen alongside these things at Walmart  are of too wide internal diameter, and will rattle unless precautions are taken.  IIRC, the Olilight cups are of the correct (non-rattle) diameter.  A rivet or two on the Olilight dark-anodized cups I bought were tilted a bit, so I had to slip the cup over a wide diameter pipe and rap the outside of the rivet to make the inside head flush, thus allowing it to slip over bottles, etc., without problems.

The Stanley lids don't fit the Olilight cups, though, just a tinch too big.  Some folks use the Stanley can to carry a couple of fuel canisters.  If so, consider adding a well-fitting disc of GI sleeping mat foam to kill the rattle.  Makes a nice cozy if you need to set your hoe cup down in the snow or ice.
View Quote

OLICamp cups fit best IMO.  Thats all I currently have as far as SS nesting cups go, other then the old tried and true milsup canteen+cup.  The OLICamp cups can be had on Amazon pretty cheap and they all have the measure marks formed into the steel.

I tried the other kinds and like raf says they are all to loose.

ETA/  This archived thread might be of interest to any one reading this current thread...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/670851_Water_bottles_and_containers__what_s_good_for_EDC_and_Outdoor_activities_.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OLICamp cups fit best IMO.  Thats all I currently have as far as SS nesting cups go, other then the old tried and true milsup canteen+cup.  The OLICamp cups can be had on Amazon pretty cheap and they all have the measure marks formed into the steel.

ETA/  This archived thread might be of interest to any one reading this current thread...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/670851_Water_bottles_and_containers__what_s_good_for_EDC_and_Outdoor_activities_.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the cups (GSI, IIRC) most often seen alongside these things at Walmart  are of too wide internal diameter, and will rattle unless precautions are taken.  IIRC, the Olilight cups are of the correct (non-rattle) diameter.  A rivet or two on the Olilight dark-anodized cups I bought were tilted a bit, so I had to slip the cup over a wide diameter pipe and rap the outside of the rivet to make the inside head flush, thus allowing it to slip over bottles, etc., without problems.

The Stanley lids don't fit the Olilight cups, though, just a tinch too big.  Some folks use the Stanley can to carry a couple of fuel canisters.  If so, consider adding a well-fitting disc of GI sleeping mat foam to kill the rattle.  Makes a nice cozy if you need to set your hoe cup down in the snow or ice.

So when you all made your lids for your cups, what did you do to the edge to...dull them/roll them over?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So when you all made your lids for your cups, what did you do to the edge to...dull them/roll them over?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used one of those side can openers...  Not sure if they have a specal name but they cut the side of the can leaving almost no sharp edges.  I actually didn't even have one of my own, but there is one in the kitchen where I work so I just used a large can of chicken for a couple lunches!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank both you and ROCK6 for posting here.  Both of you actually use your gear in the field, and both of you have a breadth of experience, borne of trying out lots of stuff, that is impressive.

No doubt there are lots of posters here that have done similar, and for omitting them, I apologize.

EVERY contributor here is valued, and you all know who you are; no need for me to say so.
View Quote

Thank you!  Same goes for you raf!  I enjoy reading the SF forums as much as I do posting.  I have been addicted to SF ever since I happened upon it back in '07...
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank both you and ROCK6 for posting here.  Both of you actually use your gear in the field, and both of you have a breadth of experience, borne of trying out lots of stuff, that is impressive.

No doubt there are lots of posters here that have done similar, and for omitting them, I apologize.

EVERY contributor here is valued, and you all know who you are; no need for me to say so.
View Quote

This is a good community and I've pulled valuable info, reviews and lessons learned from several as well.  It's always a good reminder, thanks Raf.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thank you!  Same goes for you raf!  I enjoy reading the SF forums as much as I do posting.  I have been addicted to SF ever since I happened upon it back in '07...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i only came here to poke fun at rock6 and his love for the rhino

i hate reviews of clean gear.....

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That's good info.  Can you share a link?  I'm not having any luck on the website.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.shopstanley-pmi.com/product/adventure-camp-lid-ss-replacement

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the tip.  Just picked one up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hahaha I'm trying to show you that gear can be cleaned up after using it

Oh, and don't hate the Rhino!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.shopstanley-pmi.com/product/adventure-camp-lid-ss-replacement

Thanks for the link. Set myself up for notification of stock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#26]
One of these, with the nesting cup, and an esbit  stove with fuel tabs fit nicely into a 5.11 bottle carrier.
According to my daughter who was 6 at the time also makes the worlds best " campfire soup" when in the woods with dad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROCK6

This calls for spaghetti O's and meatballs over a fire...

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#28]
The Stanley Adventure Prep + Cook Set holds 1.5L = 1.58 quarts and the Stanley Adventure 2 Pot Prep + Cook Set comes with 2 nesting pots, one is 1.5L and the olther is 2.3L. However, they are both more money than the Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set.
Prep + Cook
2 Pot Prep + Cook

Quoted:

Thanks,

Thanks for posting OP

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Thanks for posting OP

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like a slightly different (new?) version is out.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00MCEVJOI/uncrate-20
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#30]
i have the prep and cook and to test it ive been cooking on just that, so far i like it but now i want that mountain one...
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One of these, with the nesting cup, and an esbit  stove with fuel tabs fit nicely into a 5.11 bottle carrier.
According to my daughter who was 6 at the time also makes the worlds best " campfire soup" when in the woods with dad.
View Quote

That's similar to my ghb setup, except I use a home-made stove (made from a 12oz coffee can) and a glacier cup nested around a nalgene bottle. The bottle is filled with trioxane & esbit tabs, and the whole nested setup rides in a maxpedition 'large' or maybe 'jumbo' bottle carrier. The stove can use prepared fuels as well as twigs & such, and can be fed while it's burning. I carry both trioxane and esbit both, as trioxane lights easier but esbit burns longer.

Nalgene bottle, glacier cup, and home-made stove, nested:

Cup, and the stove tipped up to show the vent/airflow holes:

How the cup sits on the stove during use. Stove can burn esbit, trioxane, pieces from fire-log starters, or even just twigs. Basically, anything combustible you want to stick in there:

Wish I could claim it as my idea, but it's one I picked up from another forum a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice job, quake.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's similar to my ghb setup, except I use a home-made stove (made from a 12oz coffee can) and a glacier cup nested around a nalgene bottle. The bottle is filled with trioxane & esbit tabs, and the whole nested setup rides in a maxpedition 'large' or maybe 'jumbo' bottle carrier. The stove can use prepared fuels as well as twigs & such, and can be fed while it's burning. I carry both trioxane and esbit both, as trioxane lights easier but esbit burns longer.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/made%20items/IMG204_zps4c0e8543.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove7.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove3.jpg

How the cup sits on the stove during use. Stove can burn esbit, trioxane, pieces from fire-log starters, or even just twigs. Basically, anything combustible you want to stick in there:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove2.jpg

Wish I could claim it as my idea, but it's one I picked up from another forum a long time ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/made%20items/IMG204_zps4c0e8543.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove7.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove3.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Rostov_stove2.jpg

615 posts in 13 years! Dude, feel  free to post more often. Good post.
<----------off to find a 12oz coffee can

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
. From reading on Bushcraft USA, if you take out one of the cups you can store a folding canister stove and a small size butane canister inside the pot.

View Quote

My MSR SuperFly does not fit inside, about .25" too wide. I'm out of small canisters to try.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Got my "out of stock-forever" Stanley lid for my GSR cup. Shipping killed me. In retrospect I should have bought the whole Stanley set at Target!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Here is what has become my go to setup. Simple, durable, cheap. The only complaint I have is the plastic tab on the Stanley pot lid. I'm going to make a tab out of wire for it soon as I don't think this one will last another outing.

Everything nested together. The scrub pad half is great to have for cleanup and also prevents the two cups from rattling.

Contents unpacked. The gas cylinder fits perfectly in the bottom of the cookpot, stove sits on top of that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Stanley lids are back in stock, again. Link
They also work with GSI Glacier cups.

I bought 4 lids and a mug on sale to justify the shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top