Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 4:19:26 PM EDT
Could you recommend a BP cuff and stethoscope?  It will be carried in my 24 hour pack for sar usage.  Intermittent usage.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheap in house brand from Galls
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a Lumiscope.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
All mine are Litman scopes, you can actually get a decent inexpensive Sphygmomanometer ant Wal Mart of all places.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Should I purchase separately, IE just get any cuff but be more selective on the scope?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Not if youre just doing BP's.  Millions of ambulances get by with a $20 Sprague.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, just BP.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Sprague stethoscopes suck, go with single tube.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

They suck but they get the job done.  Single lumen work too, but my point is he can get by with a $40-50 expenditure for his use.  I mean, yeah he can buy a Littman Master Cardiology and a one hand ADC cuff, but why?

http://m.galls.com/economy-bp-stethoscope-kit
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They suck but they get the job done.  Single lumen work too, but my point is he can get by with a $40-50 expenditure for his use.  I mean, yeah he can buy a Littman Master Cardiology and a one hand ADC cuff, but why?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A cheap ADC scope will get the job done and you do not get the artifact of two tubes hitting each other.

$7.49
$21.15

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:46:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Why?

How will you treat what you find?

BP is low?

So?

BP is high?

So?

Knowing the BP is 80/40 doesnt do a bit of good if you can't fluid resuscitate.

Nor does knowing it is 200/120 if you don't carry antihypertensives.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why?

BP is low?
So?

BP is high?
So?

View Quote

Well that one's actually pretty easy to treat; just drain a bit out.    Yes, I've actually seen it done several times in other countries but no, you shouldn't do that.  

Personally I use Littman's as I can actually hear with them (particularly in noisier environments) but I also have an ADC in a drawer.  It worked OK until the ring that holds the diaphragm on get stretched over time; you need to add a touch of RVT or silicon to the ear pieces then reinstall them so they don't fall off either (they may have fixed that issue since I bought mine).  I can't hear worth a damn with the cheap ones and especially the dual tubes with the hard ear tips.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why?

BP is low?
So? To reassess and insure TQ/clot didn't come loose and bleed restarted and was overlooked.
BP is high?
So?

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

BP is low?

So? To reassess and insure TQ/clot didn't come loose and bleed restarted and was overlooked.

BP is high?

So?

In an austere environment, you are way behind if your first clue of uncontrolled peripheral bleeding is a dropping BP

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why?

BP is low?
So?

BP is high?
So?

View Quote

What about non-urban care as a monitoring tool? If you know BP is dropping you know you need to make evac plans rather than waiting for help to arrive.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In an austere environment, you are way behind if your first clue of uncontrolled peripheral bleeding is a dropping BP  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

BP is low?
BP is high?
So?

Edit: OP stated it was for SAR, I do believe that SAR monitors vitals. Maybe not though
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#16]
In the post first world medical care arena, B/P is almost useless. A check of pulse location and strength tells you about everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#17]
The cheaper the better. No need to buy something expensive for something that you may use with limited utility.

Generally, if you have to ask what kind of scope and BP cuff you most likely do not have the other tools available to you to make it worth the while to carry one in the first place. Better to save the room and weight for something more needed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#18]

I kind of think that it's another tool to help you do an assessment on a SAR mission for living subjects.  Until recently, I never had used a manual cuff and steth to measure BP - only electronic automatic.  I hadn't realized how easy the manual tools were to use.  Most of our subjects are found hypothermic, OK, or dead - rarely any trauma.  My pack is already 30-40 pounds so another pound is nothing.

Quoted:

Edit: OP stated it was for SAR, I do believe that SAR monitors vitals. Maybe not though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

BP is low?
BP is high?
So?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]
The $21.00 one posted above should work just fine for you OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top