Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2014 8:01:15 PM EDT
I'm starting a new job and I need composite toe boots/shoes. This got me thinking what does the hive recommend for their "Go-To" boot or ideal footwear? Currently I'm in between Doc Marten Industrials and the $39 Bates USMC boots from LA Police gear which have been amazing. What do ya'll recommend or use and why?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm starting a new job and I need composite toe boots/shoes. This got me thinking what does the hive recommend for their "Go-To" boot or ideal footwear? Currently I'm in between Doc Marten Industrials and the $39 Bates USMC boots from LA Police gear which have been amazing. What do ya'll recommend or use and why?
View Quote

White's boots. Smokejumpers. Buy once, cry once. Rebuildable and IMHO the best boot available.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I like these, they're cheap, and decently comfy once broken in. Brazos jungle boots, from Academy....

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:15:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I wear Dr Martens industrial everyday. I love them. I have been wearing them for the last 10 years at least. Not the same pair but I usually get 2 years out of them. Have to replace the insole after a year though. I use the wonder balm to keep them supple and looking new.  Just make sure you get the one piece sole and not the two piece. The two piece falls apart.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Merrell
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a high arch and wide foot.  Keen boots fit me great.  They have a work boot line that has steel and composite toes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm partial to Danner; the uninsulated Rainforests particularly.  They're awesome woods boots but you might want to check out their Quarry or one of the other industrial models if you're looking for jobsite footwear.

Buy once (well, once every 1.5 years), cry once.  Rebuildable.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm partial to Danner; the uninsulated Rainforests particularly.  They're awesome woods boots but you might want to check out their Quarry or one of the other industrial models if you're looking for jobsite footwear.

View Quote

Also a Danner fan...  But I have had good luck with the following.
I listed them in order starting with my most favorite:

1. Danner
2. Rocky
3. Bates
4. New Balance/ OTB
5. Converse
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got these Keen Flint Mid's for work and they're so far very good.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Keen Targhee II, a hiking boot.  I love em
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I wear Danner RATs to work everyday. Compared to anything Bates, it's like walking on clouds.

I also like Lowa's too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm wearing the Keen Detroit Mid right now. Absolutely love them. I have tried the Converse and I destroyed them in about 8 months. The sides did not hold up to abrasion from concrete work. Once they started to go the rest of the boot came apart. The Keen's have had no break in at all. I've hiked about 15 miles in them a week after I got them with no issues. So far I love them. Have about two months on the ground. Time will tell if they'll hold up but they are very well constructed and reinforced at most of my high wear points.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Merrell Moab
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
No disrespect intended but I have to mention to OP I think he should bypass the Merrell recommendations.  I have a pair of the Gore Tex Moabs.  They are a very comfortable shoe and I really do love hiking in them.  But they have roughly 30 miles on them and are not holding up for a durability perspective.  Apparently they sold the company in the last couple of years and the quality has been off big time since.  I'm sure a lot of the guys here have older pairs that have lasted a while (older better Merrell QC) which is the reason for their recommendations.  But lots of the current reviews found on the web are complaining about the durability.  The glued toe on both of mine is coming undone already (found others complaining about this also).  Considering OP mentioned he needs them for work, I would think taking a beating would be a high priority, thus Merrels should not be on the radar.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 to the Danners and Quarry specifically.  Great boots.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Whites have gone downhill. Nicks makes a way better boot if that's the type your after.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#18]
It really depends what your new job is.  I can't think of a blanket recommendation that would work for all jobs. Are you going to be standing all day working at a Bridgeport? Or driving forklifts around a warehouse? Or snowshoeing or hiking for miles cruising lumber?  All take very different boots.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Dinner Ftx are like sex for your feet!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Current Merrells have QC issues read newer reviews for more info. I like my Keen Gypsums wear them all the time bt they are best for wide feet waterproof comfy.and  durable.:;
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
If you like merrell's and have the money and time you should check out the guy that started that company.  He can make you a custom made pair of boots for you.
http://www.merrellfootlab.com

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Rapid-Response-RB-RB8894/dp/B00BFA9280/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_sw_5
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#23]
SWAT Classic 9

Under $100, 4.6 rating on amazon, tan (black, green, brown also available), side zip, composite toe, ultralite, semi-soft aggressive outsole (good for dirt & concrete). NO BOOT BREAK-IN REQUIRED (seriously, the first boot I've never had to break in).

I get a $150 boot allowance through work and from our wholesale provider they sell them for $85 shipped... I got two this year and intend to get two every year going forward.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can't go wrong with the Bates USMC boots... I have 2 pair
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for everyones suggestions. I looked at a lot of the recommended boots. I should have been a little more descriptive in my OP but my thought process was if you had to get up in the middle of the night and haul @$$ what would be your boot/shoe of choice. I ended up going with an Ariat boot with their ATS sole and a composite toe. They are really comfortable and easy to get on and off. I love my Bates or the Danner USMC boots but they just take too long to get on and I'll still use/wear them but they may not be my boot at the end of the bed.

With that said I am a bit of a shoe/boot whore so I'll check out some of the other suggested as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Belleville.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top