Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2013 6:31:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Why buy that stuff when you can just make your own Vasoline and cottenball firestarters? You can literally make hundreds from a jar.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Small bottle of plain purell.
View Quote

+1
I was taught that a good tool does more than one thing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
PJ cotton balls work well but if you want something that'll burn longer and is about the same size, use Esbit tablets. They are made from hexamine. (The US military replaced hexamine tabs with trioxane because hexamine gives off formaldahyde when burning. Not that trioxane fumes are safe to breathe.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think .mil has switched to an alcohol gel.  So, you might as well save yourself some $$ and just carry Purell instead of trying to buy the .mil gelled stuff on the market. It's pretty spendy.

Coghlans still sells hex.  As a side note, it's useful for treating urinary tract infections.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7028634
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

PJ cotton balls work well but if you want something that'll burn longer and is about the same size, use Esbit tablets. They are made from hexamine. (The US military replaced hexamine tabs with trioxane because hexamine gives off formaldahyde when burning. Not that trioxane fumes are safe to breathe.)

I think .mil has switched to an alcohol gel.  So, you might as well save yourself some $$ and just carry Purell instead of trying to buy the .mil gelled stuff on the market. It's pretty spendy.

Coghlans still sells hex.  As a side note, it's useful for treating urinary tract infections.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7028634

Yup, the trioxane bars are now obsolete. One thing I never liked about the trioxane bars is that if the packaging got even a pinprick, they'd go bad. That's not a problem with hexamine tabs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top