Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 3:26:14 PM EDT
I have been looking for some good socks for hiking/working that are a reasonably priced. This is whatI found, the REI merino wool light hiker II. Does anybody have any experience with these socks, or have any other options that I can look into? Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience with those, but they are well regarded.

I'd recommend Wigwam Cool-lite. I'll get at least 1k miles on a pair, but usually more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have two pairs of the REI socks.  I perfer Darn tough socks.  The weave is much better.  The Darn Tough socks are expensive but they are almost all I wear now, hot weather or cold weather.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
REI is running a sale on Smartwools. 25% off. I picked up 6 more pairs of PhD socks. These things are nice. Seriously wear wool socks everyday. Cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
wear them every day
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty good for the price. I've hiked a shit load in mine and never rubbed through. Good socks make a huge difference though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I may just have to give them a try. I'll at least buy one pair and try them out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
<shameless plug>

check out covert threads brand rock infiltrators. i wear them every day at work and love them. my second choice would be thorlos light hikers

</shameless plug>
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I like these. I wore them in Afghanistan and they were warm and held up well. I found them on sierratradingpost.com for about $4 a pair.

http://www.wigwam.com/Products/Merino-Rugged-Hiker_ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=771d74de-fa96-dd11-9fb3-001d091bb843
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]
They're great OP. I wear them everyday at work. They hold up well too.

For your daily shoes, check out wrightsock double layer wools. Super light weight, wick like crazy, don't get stinky.
http://www.rei.com/product/788284/wrightsock-double-layer-running-ii-lo-socks
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Wool socks are about the only thing I wear anymore.  In my experience...

Best: Smart Wool
Best for the money: REI, Light Hikers take up most of my sock drawer.
Worst: Wigwam, they wear out in a fraction of the time that Smart Wool or REI socks do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Worst: Wigwam, they wear out in a fraction of the time that Smart Wool or REI socks do.

this
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought about a 100 pairs of these from REI outlet.
2plus years ago they were listed as Seconds but you can't tell.

I like the low quarter and expedition weight calf length.

I wear smart wool year round, just adjust the weight to outside temps.

Buy them on sale...like now...I just bought 5 pair of expedition weight khakis.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had the exact opposite experience with Wigwam. I found they outlasted Smartwool by a large number of miles. This was across the board with many hikers I've met. I'd say on average for big brand wool socks was around 500 miles before replacing was needed.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out Sam's Club 'Omni-Wool' socks. They come in 3 pair for $17.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I wear REI's Merino wool hiker socks daily, & have for years.  They're an excellent value, especially if you can catch them on sale.
I've worn SmartWool & ThorLo a lot, too.  REI Merino are the best value in a wool sock I've found.  SmartWool has solid black, which I
use for dress socks, & ThorLo is the best synthetic sock I've used.  I still have some of all 3, but mostly the REI.

David
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, I have two pairs of the REI socks.  I perfer Darn tough socks.  The weave is much better.  The Darn Tough socks are expensive but they are almost all I wear now, hot weather or cold weather.

+1 for Darn Tough!!!

I was issued 4 pairs on my last deployment, and went and bought two more pairs...they are all that I wear with my harness boots on the bike!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless something has recently changed, that's exactly the opposite of my experience.  Their Ultimax Cool Lite Hikers have been my go-to sock for years.

ETA:  I'm a 500-1000-mile/year runner, and mine have help up to some serious mileage... much better than the Thorlos I used to buy.

I bought a dozen or so pairs of Wigwam socks in 2010.  A third of them didn't make it to 2011.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top