Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 8:29:22 AM EDT
I had to run with gas mask on (Finnish surplus).  After 300 yards, I couldn't run anymore.  It wasn't giving me enough oxygen.

Is this abnormal?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It's definitely going to hinder your breathing, no matter the make/model.  I find the M50 mask to breathe easier than any other I've ever used.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had to run with gas mask on (Finnish surplus).  After 300 yards, I couldn't run anymore.  It wasn't giving me enough oxygen.

Is this abnormal?

No. Keep training with it and it will get easier.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Running? Try an "O" course

As mentioned it's a function of training and conditioning though your air exchange is clearly reduced. Add full kit and some life threatening stress for the full experience.  

I had a battery powered protective mask blower at work that helped during certain missions though I rarely carried it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
We used to do jumping jacks in the dayroom until the room fogged up in bootcamp...you will build up to it. Try shuffle. Would prob go M-40.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
No problems with the M50 other than I hate wearing gas masks in general.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Start with no filter, it still restricts your breathing and will help you get used to it.  With the filter it's a little more restrictive and is a good way to train prior to cardio events or high elevation trips.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, typical first time experience.  Think that was hard. Put it on right now. In 8 hours, take it off.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Also you should check your ability for good sight alightment with a rifle. Ones we use at work you need to indent the mask a bit to obtain a good sight alignment with dept rifle. Also try that after running a few hundred yards in said mask. Many of us will fight through chemical agent (OC / CN) exposure than deal with a mask.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Think that's hard should try smoking in one............
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a lot more work than people realize to pull the air in through the filter. your lungs are not used to that extra work.

It is one of the reasons that masks and rescue breathing aids have fallen out of favor as general safety gear in industrial settings.

If you do not train with them on a regular basis you just will not be able to use them effectively if the need comes up.

Most of the time unless you are a soldier your best bet is to get the heck away from whatever you would need a mask to protect yourself from and you need to be able to move to do that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I do crossfit with my MSA and do shooting drills with my M40

it is a lot harder to breathe, but your body will account for it overtime....learn how to control your breathing and don't freak out
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do crossfit with my MSA and do shooting drills with my M40

it is a lot harder to breathe, but your body will account for it overtime....learn how to control your breathing and don't freak out

this. if you can, try to breathe through your nose for as long as possible when you have it on. for me it seems like as soon as i try to breathe through my mouth (take a huge breath) thats when the suckage begins. i can roll a 30-45 minute metcon as long as i keep breathing through my nose. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Ask these guys:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top