Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2012 9:22:00 AM EDT
Does anybody own one? I'm looking at getting one and I was
wondering what y'alls experience with it was. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont know about their generators , but their riding mowers are a piece of shit !
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Their generators are made by Briggs & Stratton, who bought the Portable Power Products division of Generac several years ago.

B&S probably sells an essentially identical model under their own brand, so repair and maintenance parts should be available from any B&S dealer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Dont know about their generators , but their riding mowers are a piece of shit !

As are their walk behind mowers. Pure crap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Loud. Very loud.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't want to feed a conventional generator that size unless  had no other choice.

That thing probably burns 30+ gallons a day  
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an 8000 watt and it doesnt burn that much gas.

be sensible, you have more options with a larger generator. I laugh at people with 2000 watt and smaller ones.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

be sensible, you have more options with a larger generator. I laugh at people with 2000 watt and smaller ones.

At full load how much fuel does your 8KW generator use?  
(careful: This question is a trap   )
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LoL ––> that's what i do right now looking at folks waiting 2-4 hours in line to buy the maximum 10 gallons of gas.  

how do you like your big gas sucking generator now?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
be sensible, you have more options with a larger generator.
I laugh at people with 2000 watt and smaller ones.

LoL ––> that's what i do right now looking at folks waiting 2-4 hours in line to buy the maximum 10 gallons of gas.  

how do you like your big gas sucking generator now?

ar-jedi

Yeah, he now has the option to run out of fuel.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking to buy this generator as well.  Everything I've read gives the generator a thumbs up.  Consumer reviews and opinons on Lowe's website have been very positive.  I live in Morris County, NJ and we just got power back after 14 days w/o utility power.  We have a 9 year old Generac Wheelhouse 5500 continuous 8500 surge gnerator with a 10 horse power Briggs and Stratton engine. The transfer switch was put in day 5 w/o power.  This 5500 ran our oil boiler, well pump, fridge, Large screen tv and usually 3 lights at a time. You could hear the engine labor when the well or boiler kicked on. When they kicked at the same time the lights dimmed for two seconds then back to normal. This gennie ran 24/7 sans 50 hour oil changes.  We got about 11 hours per 5 gallons of fuel. I want Higher continuous watts so the motor is not operating at peak at all times.  I want the higher surge watts so that we are not hitting max load to eliminate the lights dimming.  I can't say enough about this generator and its reliability.  Whose heart is the B & S OHV motor. Ergo the Troy Bilt with the B & S OHV motor should be a keeper as well.

As a side note we are 25 miles from the PA boarder. I would get up at 4 in the morning drive to PA. No lines, fill the truck and 30 gallons of fuel. Adapt, improvise and over come. It was expensive to live off the gennie. About 35 dollars a day. Which is cheaper than a hotel room. Whatever it takes to keep the family warm.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a troy with the b&s motor after out power went out this summer. Ironically it hasn't gone out since but I use it to run my brass tumbler. I just use it to run it occasionally to make sure it keeps its legs stretched every once in awhile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top