Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/31/2012 5:15:20 AM EDT

As we all know, nothing is better at educating than real-world scenarios.  I know Sandy is far from being "over" for alot of people, but i've seen alot of our members from the NE "checking in".

All of us are trying to better prepare ourselves, our families and our property for these types of scenarios.  

What has Sandy taught you?  What worked and what didn't?  What would you do different?  What were your strengths/weaknesses?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#1]
My new (to me) house has water leaks.

Storing the generator and propane heater securely in the detached garage was a good idea until I discovered I didn't have a key to open it. Garage door openers don't work without power (thats what I usually use).

My lock picking skills have real world applications
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
It taught me that people are crazy and will wipe out the entire camping and flashlight sections in walmart in a day because apparently they don't have those things already.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:20:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't realize D batteries were such a hot commodity until this. I haven't bought any in ages. Walmart had all the AA and AAA batteries you wanted but the Ds were wiped out in short order.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I realized everyone on my street has a generator.

I realized its fun to wait for the power to go out so then you can watch a movie.

I realized driving around with a chainsaw can make you both new friends and enemies.

I realized boggle and hot rum ciders don't go together.

I realized I need more rum before TETOWAKI
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I realized that I need to find the money to get the hollow maple tree beside my house removed.  I was ready to have it come down - tarps, chainsaw ready - but it wasn't until I got ready to go to bed that I realized that if the tree came down it would land right in my bedroom. (I just moved in, so cut me a break.)

I also learned that, in the rain and the wind and with the outside lights on, there's a bush outside my window that looks EXACTLY like some guy in a hoodie crouching low.  That bush has a date with my tow chain this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I need to stock more gasoline for the genny.  I had two days worth, but I didn't account on all of the gas stations being down and out for so long.  I did eventually get more, but I'm going to invest in two more 5 gallon cans as soon as they're back in stock
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#7]
What do people even do with D batteries?  Everything I have is AA or 123A.

Quoted:

I didn't realize D batteries were such a hot commodity until this. I haven't bought any in ages. Walmart had all the AA and AAA batteries you wanted but the Ds were wiped out in short order.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do people even do with D batteries?  Everything I have is AA or 123A.

Quoted:

Plenty of old school flashlights buried in "junk drawers", the camping stuff in the basement that hasn't been used in 20 years, etc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What do people even do with D batteries?

long lonely nights with the power off, I can only write the appropriate response in GD
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad I have C cell flashlights.

Should have told my dad NOT to run the genny for 12 straight hours.

I was NOT an idiot for filling every gas can I owned and getting electric cords ready.

Head lamps are the BOMB!!!

Smart Wool and Fleece are my new best friends.

Owning a chainsaw is money in the bank.

You will need a good stout knife at some point...and scissors.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do people even do with D batteries?

long lonely nights with the power off, I can only write the appropriate response in GD

I almost went there, but decided the better of it.  However, since you've popped that cherry...

I was at lunch with a female friend yesterday and was talking about preps - her wife's sister (yes, you read that right) called up begging my friend to take her to get bottled water.  The day OF the storm.  We were commiserating about willfully helpless people, and talked about our own preps.  I mentioned a thread about battery standardization, and she smiled and said "Oh absolutely - I learned that long ago.  Everything in my house runs on AA batteries. And I mean EVERYTHING." (Should I tell her about Eneloops?)

So men, when choosing which batteries to store, just make sure you account for *all* the vital battery powered devices.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I found out that my bathtub must have a bad drain plug seal because I came back a few hours later to find that one of my biggest water sources was no longer... I ended up having enough water from cases of stored bottled water but that is something I need to work on. Overall I rate myself a B-. I really had no other problems.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I have not started working on non potable water in the basement of our new home for washing and flushing toilets. I remembered to fill 3 - 5 gallon jugs with water before the storm. We have plenty of drinking water.

I will have this remedied this weekend.

I filled up a few gas cans the day before that should have been full all along.

Other than that we were in really good shape.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#14]
The power is still out for me, but everything has been going smoothly. Power, heat, water, no problem.

My neighbors however, they had their generator stolen on Monday while the storm was on but before the power went out. It wasn't locked down.

I have a motion alert alarm that runs off a wall wart. I quickly made up a battery pack for it (I don't run the genny all the time) and it's been working well. Nothing but a couple of false alarms so far, but if anything that's been good practice for our response. The first time was a little hectic, the second was calm and smooth. I do need a battery-run flood light though.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
1. bottle is gone days before a storm hits

2. cant buy water or supplies  from a store with no power

3. people are crazy and most would not survive in a serious emergency

4. gas WILL run out and you cant store enough

5. winter time emergencys would be far worse

6. mother nature is a cruel bitch and will *uck you up within hrs

7. I have to have a better means of storing extra water(we had the threat of the water being shut down) 4 cases at all times is not enough

8. need to store more gas all times  (if this was a sudden emergency with no time to stock up i would of been screwed)

9. thank god I 've gotten into the prepper mode(with out taking to the "doomsday crazy stage") and was prepared

10 also really need to have BOBs ready to go at a moments notice (friends live in NY had to leave in middle of night, whole family goes to hotel only to come back to a burned down neighbor hood. they lost EVERYTHING)
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Even in Ohio my WalMart had a run on Ds and Flashlites.
That surprise me. Weather was not great but nothing like the east coast got.

PITA45
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#17]
MJR73...what works for me...a 33 gal plastic trash can in the shower for bathing and flushing water storage ... if you are not familiar with pouring directly into the bowl... try it empty first, and pour slowly...the trash can is more easily filled if you have a hand shower wand...rather than filling the bath tub, it still gives you access to shower drain...a plastic drop cloth or shower curtain makes a pretty good liner if you have multiple tubs and wish to fill one... a section of garden hose will access water in your hot water heater...a pump up garden sprayer limits water for a shower source...$500 in $20s for cash only sales... .1micron Sawyer filter with 5gal adapter...5 or 7 day coolers really work if you limit access ...4, 1gal frozen jugs of water and 12gal in blue Aquatainers...solar charger and 12v battery tap for spare auto battery for Sanyo Eneloop AAs and as much converted to AAs as possible...kero lanterns and LED lanterns...3, 20# propane bulk cylinders, 1# tank adapter, and bulk hose connectors for cooking and heat...solar options for heating shower water...land line non powered phone...good clothing and foot wear

good luck, and stay safe
57 years on Fla Gulf coast....
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Good read guys.....Hope all of yous get back to your norm soon!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even in Ohio my WalMart had a run on Ds and Flashlites.

That surprise me. Weather was not great but nothing like the east coast got.

PITA45
Yup, I found this too.

We had strong wind Monday night in Cleveland 60+ mph gusts which knocked out power for about 24hrs.  We got nothing compared to those further east...

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I need to stock more gasoline for the genny.  I had two days worth, but I didn't account on all of the gas stations being down and out for so long.  I did eventually get more, but I'm going to invest in two more 5 gallon cans as soon as they're back in stock

Questions for tonight's homework assignment:

1. Do you own a vehicle?
2. If so, how big is its gas tank?
3. Can you use a siphon hose on it to transfer fuel to your generator?
4. If you adopted the habit of always fueling up your vehicle before the tank was half-empty, what is the minimum amount of fresh gas you would always have on hand?
5. How many days would your generator run on that amount of gas?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I lost power at 8:19pm Monday. Didn't get back on the grid until 12:47pm Wednesday.

1. Kerosene space heater I bought two years ago made it nice and 64F in my house while It was in the 30's and 40's outside.  I was snug as a bug. Extra sleeping bags and wool blankets would have made things livable if i did not have a heater.
2. Flashlights/LED lamps in every room backed up with an ample supply of candles (and batteries stockpiled just for this scenario) made navigating around the house in the evening much easier.
3. Knowing I had my Harbor Freight generator ready to go just in case reduced my stress level
4. Having a gas stove meant I was still able to cook food. Next door neighbors with 5 kids had an electric stove. No cooked food for them.
5. Two large bags of ice kept my small deep freeze below freezing the entire time. Since it was below 45F outside the entire time, I transferred all of my perishables outside and didn't loose any food.
6. Prior coordination with most of my neighbors/exchanging cell phone numbers and checking in on each other made things go a little easier and reduced some duplication of effort (calling in downed lines, trees, and inop power).

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Wind Blows and Water is Wet!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Fill ALL your jerry cans :-/

ETA Oh, and Verizon seems to have the best cellular voice and internet service around.  Friends with Sprint, AT&T, T Mobile, etc. have had shitty connections.

If you are using cellular phones as a primary communication means, look into who has the best service in your AO.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:55:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not buying into that. You siphon all your car gas. Now your Trapped in your home with a running genny.
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Do you own a vehicle?
4. If you adopted the habit of always fueling up your vehicle before the tank was half-empty, what is the minimum amount of fresh gas you would always have on hand?

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#25]
i didn't lose power but i did realize i would have trouble flushing the toilette.  We have septic and well water so that isn't an issue.  the problem is the toilette is one of the powerflush models with the tank in the tank.  It uses pressure from the incoming water to flush.  So i can't just simply pour water in the top of the tank.  

Also I took my generator to Home Depot to get fixed under warranty.  I will NEVER do that again.

Also i want to convert the generator to propane so i can store gas easier/longer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i didn't lose power but i did realize i would have trouble flushing the toilette.  We have septic and well water so that isn't an issue.  the problem is the toilette is one of the powerflush models with the tank in the tank.  It uses pressure from the incoming water to flush.  So i can't just simply pour water in the top of the tank.  

Also I took my generator to Home Depot to get fixed under warranty.  I will NEVER do that again.

Also i want to convert the generator to propane so i can store gas easier/longer.

Dump it in the bowl, not the tank.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.  now i feel stupid.  I didn't think of that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.  now i feel stupid.  I didn't think of that.

no worries!
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But do it fast, not slow.  The newer LC toilets work on velocity, not volume like the old ones did.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not buying into that. You siphon all your car gas. Now your Trapped in your home with a running genny.
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Do you own a vehicle?

No, you siphon gas for the genny as you need it. No one said anything about emptying the vehicle's fuel tank.

Any gas you don't use in the genny can be siphoned back into the vehicle tank, if needed.

Having 10-20 gallons of fresh gas sitting in an unused vehicle - with no provisions for using it in anything other than that vehicle - is foolish.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Do you own a vehicle?

Dont most cars have a block to prevent siphoning?
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My 2007 Toyota doesn't.  Someone keeps siphoning gas out of it.z

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Do you own a vehicle?

Urban myth. Even most 2012 models lack an "anti-siphon" or "rollover" valve.

On some vehicles, the filler hose takes a pretty convoluted path between the filler neck and the gas tank - but most are still siphonable with the right hose and some patience.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I need a lot more money to pay for survivor type stuff! Learn to live with out a gas powered generator maybe!

Build a hamster wheel that a wife can run in to get electric, that way I knock two birds with one stone, I get electric and e wife stays in shape :)
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I learned that leftover Spam can be used to make pretty good ham salad sandwiches.
I also learned that my coworkers think I'm weird for how much I love Spam.
I learned that as soon as their power goes out, EVERYONE wants to announce it to the world on Facebook.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Walmart sells out of cheap flashlights and 80% of their batteries pretty quick... A couple of gas stations ran out of gas... Though it was a non event (for me and my AO) it was a little bit of a realization...  Also every one went for canned foods.... No one touched rice/ beans/ ramin etc.  Also no one took the large cases of water or bigger gallon+ jugs.  While I don't really need to panic buy any of what I listed it is still good to know.  While every one was buying cases of water, canned goods, an flash lights I was buying a few cans of brake clean, spray lubricant, and carburetor cleaner!  (because I was running low and needed it any ways.
I will also tell you if it is a really bit large emergency/ major SHTF I won't be stopping at any large stores.  Gas station and local hardware store would serve me fine for some last minute grabs... And maybe the beer/ liqueur store
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#37]
(1) quite a few eople were at a Rochester, NY Home Depot from Jersey to buy overpriced generators on saturday

(2) glad that all I had to do was fill up the family vehicles with gas

(3) my coleman powermate started and ran like a champ when I tested it

(4) wanted to get an additional gas can but I absolutely hate the new ones so I will buy a siphon instead...
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Back when we had the big blow in July that put us without power the one thing I noticed (and several of us commented on in a previous thread) was that D size batteries was the first to go. We use them in the Maglites I carry in the car and truck. Our radio uses them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#39]
1.  I was reminded that far too many people have ZERO electrical skills/knowledge.  
2.  Having a skillset is just as important as material items in time of need.  
3.  You can never prepare too much or know enough.
4.  Even tho I didn't need to use it, I'm not happy with a gasoline only powered generator.  Gonna get a tri-fuel conversion.
5.  People think preppers are obssessed.  Until they are jealous.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#40]
My father has been wanting to buy a Generator for a while, now my mother is convinced and was helping shop for one online last time I talked to her.

Me and my one roommate were kind of disappointed in the small rainstorm we got. We kind of wanted the power to go out! We got bored and started filling all large containers we had with water because we were not sure if the house we are renting is on city water or not.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#41]
AMEN!
Quoted:
1.  I was reminded that far too many people have ZERO electrical skills/knowledge.  
2.  Having a skillset is just as important as material items in time of need.  
3.  You can never prepare too much or know enough.
4.  Even tho I didn't need to use it, I'm not happy with a gasoline only powered generator.  Gonna get a tri-fuel conversion.
5.  People think preppers are obssessed.  Until they are jealous.

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Im still suffering for not having the right gas cans.  Were now in a gas ration state. And I use my truck to make a living. Just ordered 2 jerry cans from sportsman guide. STILL LEARNING
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My father has been wanting to buy a Generator for a while, now my mother is convinced and was helping shop for one online last time I talked to her.

You might ask her to hold off for a while.

After power is restored to most areas, there is going to be a glut of NIB and slightly-used generators on the market.

On Craigs List and ebay, there will be bargains-o-plenty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might ask her to hold off for a while.

After power is restored to most areas, there is going to be a glut of NIB and slightly-used generators on the market.

On Craigs List and ebay, there will be bargains-o-plenty.

My father was looking into buying a decent/good one through his company. Something tells me most of the ones  that people went out and bought were cheap ones.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My father was looking into buying a decent/good one through his company. Something tells me most of the ones  that people went out and bought were cheap ones.

In many cases, people went out and bought whatever was still on the shelves. Some of that was quality stuff.

Furthermore, there isn't a lot of junk out there in the generator world nowadays. Even most of the cheap Chinese stuff will still give you decent service.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I need a lot more money to pay for survivor type stuff! Learn to live with out a gas powered generator maybe!

Build a hamster wheel that a wife can run in to get electric, that way I knock two birds with one stone, I get electric and e wife stays in shape :)

Post of the year!
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Live in a rural area outside of Gettysburg.

We were prepared as we usually are with enough food and water to last indefinetely. We dont have a generator, so a day before the storm, we stocked up on ice for the food. All battery operated items were charged fully before the storm hit, including any electronics for our kids that they typically play with.

Biggest problem we had was the extreme wind pushing water in every window and door on the windward side of the house. Spent the entire time running back and forth with towels soaking up the mess and catching drips during the worst of the storm. We were sort of ready for that as we had an abundance of towels ready to go and drip pans/containers just in case, but we live in an extreme high wind area to begin with, so I am kind of used to that. Any items that could have been blown around in 70 +/- mph winds I had already moved. Although I was surprised to find several tires I had laying flat on the ground in front of my detached garage got picked up and tossed against the house.

Power went out for about 3-4 hours. With no generator, we stayed out of the fridge but had it well packed with ice. Also had a cooler prepped with ice ahead of time with some common food items at the ready. My wife is big on stocking up on candles and probably had about 20-30 lit when power was out for light. Could have used our propane grill when was the wind died down for warm food. We keep extra propane tanks for the grill ready, so we could cook dinner on that for months.

We had extra water in the tub stocked just in case power went out and killed the well pump for use with the toilets, but the septic alarm went off before the power got killed as our septic was flooded with more water than the pump could handle. I didnt think of the septic tanks and field being totally flooded and unable to take anything else. Long term, it really isnt a problem being in a rural area with several acres as we can always go outside.

Overall, the wind was the major problem for us causing the most damage to the house and trees. Not a whole lot you can do about that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Overall, the wind was the major problem for us causing the most damage to the house and trees. Not a whole lot you can do about that.

It sounds like you may live in an old farm house.  Does it still have hardware for storm shutters next to the windows?  That was the whole point of having them.

For that matter a few pre-cut sheets of plywood, prepped and ready to mount, would help greatly with the water infiltration issues.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#49]
good cordless drill and TorX fasteners really helps installing pre cut plywood, especially if you have to handle it alone.. if you have time, paint the plywood and number it so you can reuse in the same position next time ... the PlyLox spring clips work pretty well if you have masonry inset windows

http://www.plylox.com/
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I got power back friday night.   Only 4 nights without power.  

Winterize your generator properly after using it, or the carb will gum up from ethanol in the gas.  

Wire the house for a generator and an interlock kit.  This way you can select any circuit in the house that you want to power at a specific time.  Transfer switches are more expensive and only have set # of circuits.

Minimize fuel usage with the generator.  I emptied my fridge of perishables and moved everything to my dump freezer.  Then I only ran the generator for 1 hour a night to keep the dump freezer at temp.  This freezer was very efficient and did not need much.  TV and lights are convenient, but not worth running the generator for 24 hrs like the neighbors.  Long term goal, ability to live without electricity comfortably.  

Replace the old toilets with low flush. Mine ate my bath tub worth of water quickly.  

I need to install my wood stove to heat the house.  I have a large supply of wood now for several years.  Currently running with electric heat.  

Communication was down completely in my area.  I have no radio and no near term plans for one, but long term some CB or HAM could be valuable.  

I want to find a method of manually pumping my well water in to pressurize my pressure tank.  My genny could not power my pump and I was relying on my cans of water.  

I had no hot water... I dont have any practical ideas for this one yet.  

Chain saws are my favorite garage toys.  Keep an extra chain so you can keep moving when the blades go dull.  

Children on Halloween dressed as Zombies during a mass power outage scare the crap out of me.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top