Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2012 5:07:54 AM EDT
Looking for input on a weapon light.  I would prefer something that isn't ridiculously expensive.
Something for a carbine/shotgun.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a big fan of the Streamlight TLR-1.  If you have a picatinny section you can clamp it to that.  It also clamps on to most rails on pistols.   I screwed a short section of picatinny to the fore end to my shotgun to mount one.   I used an adapter similar to this to mount on a carbine.  I like where this places the light and it removes the need for a railed forend.  I like this combination with an MOE handguard.  It is fairly inexpensive, and comfortable to use.

There is a combo TLR-1/ Bayonet adapter here but it is from Botach, so buy at your own risk.  THe combo with the single rail is what I would get.  It looks like they have free shipping right now.  You won't find a better deal on that light combined with a bayonet adapter anywhere else, but I would call and make sure it is in stock if you are going to order it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend who has had one of these for a couple years and it has been very durable. Primary Arms Weapon Light
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I second the TLR-1. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. I believe i own 4 or 5 of them on pistols and shotguns. Its very bright and i dig the metal contruction.

I also own 2 Surefire scout lights which are over 3 times the price of a TLR-1 and honestly for the average joe you wont see a difference.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have and like the Fenix TK11.  Lower level of light (but still bright) for close range and a quick twist of the bezel and you have a very bright light.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Newbie here, I'm in the same boat. Just built a Stag and put an optic on it, now I need a light.  I know you don't wanna skimp when it comes to something that you might stake your life on but I don't wanna spend hundreds of dollars.

ETA: Guess I shouda check the Primary Arms link before I posted, Primary is the company I went with for the optic.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Inforce WML. I bought one and really like it. 3 modes, High ~125 lumens, Low ~30 lumens, Strobe (which can be disabled). 1 button, built it mount, no tool install. Runs on 1 CR123 battery.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I second the TLR-1. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. I believe i own 4 or 5 of them on pistols and shotguns. Its very bright and i dig the metal contruction.

Same here. I've got 5 of 'em on everything from CZ-75's to ARs. They are VERY well-made for the money.

My only complaint is that the teeter-totter switch tends to turn itself on when the gun is in a soft case. Rounding off the switch's sharp edges with a Dremel Tool solves that issue.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the Streamlight TLR series of lights. I have two TLR1-s and a TLR3, and have been pleased with them.  In fact, I'm selling my Surefire 951 and 962 lights so I can buy a TLR2 for my other AR. Their small size, nice beams, and reasonable price tag make them a solid solution.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I stand by my TLR-1. I've put over 300+ rounds with it on my M&P 9mm and have yet to have a problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
TLR again. It gets the job done in most cases, on the most weapons, and for most budgets. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the TLR-2 really a good option for a carbine? How far does the beam throw? I do like the the laser is already in the same package.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Long guns have G2 LED's and tritium sights.  Pistols have TLR-1's (shorter runtime, I believe) and tritium sights.

Old rifle setup, switched it out because the runtime was under an hour:

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
TLR-1s, etc. are great solutions for pistols.  I've had the back plate of a TLR-1 break off while mounted on a carbine.  The trigger guard on a pistol helps protect the back plate when mounted on a pistol.  When on a rifle, it tends to be more exposed. I'd avoid using a TLR-1 on a rifle.

On rifles, I use:
-Surefire G2 LED
-Surefire M961 ($100-$150 + 200 lumen $20 LED drop in bulb)

You can find great deals on E-Bay or in the EE.

Crappy cell pic of one of my AK's lights

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks all
I think the Streamlight TLR-1 looks about right for me.  
So, one more question

Has anyone used a standard light mount on a shotgun?  I am talking about the kind that just clamps over the shell tube/barrel and has a round compression clamp for a light?  
I have a pretty decent small tac light that would be perfect for my shotgun, but I am wary of some of the light mounts I have seen.  Some of them just don't look like they would have enough tension to hold the light in place.  

Any suggestions?  

BTW thanks again for all the help.  It seems kind of ironic that I am asking these questions in the SF rather than one of the main forums.... but you all have always been more helpful...
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#15]
A ridiculously simple and cheap solution for a carbine is the Elzetta mount.

I use mine with a surefire G2. One bonus, it has a quick release to remove the flashlight if I want it.
I also like the fact that I do not have to have a button mounted on my rifle.

They also make a shotgun mount.

They are also a site supporter (check the industry forum).

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks all
I think the Streamlight TLR-1 looks about right for me.  
So, one more question

Has anyone used a standard light mount on a shotgun?  I am talking about the kind that just clamps over the shell tube/barrel and has a round compression clamp for a light?  
I have a pretty decent small tac light that would be perfect for my shotgun, but I am wary of some of the light mounts I have seen.  Some of them just don't look like they would have enough tension to hold the light in place.  

Any suggestions?  

BTW thanks again for all the help.  It seems kind of ironic that I am asking these questions in the SF rather than one of the main forums.... but you all have always been more helpful...

I used a Surefire flashlight in a Vltor Scout mount on my 12ga with no problems at all. I put some red locktite on it and it never budged after 2 years of use.

The Vltor mount is not a 1 piece clamp/mount so you'll need a clamp on the shotgun. I used a Nordic barrel clamp which comes with a small rail.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got my Klarus XT11 and holy crap nugget is this thing amazing. It is bright as eff and throws a decent beam too. I really like having the ability to activate the strobe with one click. It is an amazing light and I would recommend it to anyone. Can't wait to get it mounted to my predatAR.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#18]
All my weapons that have lights have Streamlight TLR-1's. Mainly because they are reasonably priced and durable. I also use EOTech's XPS sights on my AR's and they use the same battery. Battery commonality is a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#19]

How do you have the light mounted to the AK47
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I bolted a short rail section to the handguard, then attached a Leupold QRW 1" ring to the light.

If you look carefully, you'll notice that I screwed up drilling the holes for the rail section, so the light points down just a tiny bit.  I don't usually mess up like that, but it's close enough that I haven't bothered fixing it or swapping the handguard.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Would there be any reason to not get the TLR-1S instead of the TLR-1 when I can get it for the same price? I am getting it for a G-19. I wasn't really interested in the strobe feature but they are essentially the same price. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would there be any reason to not get the TLR-1S instead of the TLR-1 when I can get it for the same price? I am getting it for a G-19. I wasn't really interested in the strobe feature but they are essentially the same price. Thanks.

Having been on the receiving end of a TRL1S, during a weekend of force on force training...there's a reason I own serveral of them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Urban Viking,

I have an extra M951....

PM inbound!

Link Posted: 2/19/2012 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#24]
TNVC has a wicked little mod that converts an M951 into a 600 Lumen freaking torch from hell!

It is on my must buy list for this next OT check!
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#25]
It's hard to beat the TRL-1 for a handgun.

I run Surefire G2's and GL2's on my long guns.

BT
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I am thinking about getting the Klarus XT11 for my AR.

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

you wont be disappointed. I am loving mine! Can't wait to get out in the field for some hog hunting!
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We only have a few left in stock (9 as of right now), but more coming early next week that should keep us in stock longer than we have been for the last few shipments.  We have more of the filters coming as well.

How good are the rechargeable batteries for these? Do they last very long and are the worth the money?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Take a look at the SureFire M951. It is a big light but cheap, bright and is built like a tank. I bought mine for $119. Besides the M951 I also would say a TLR-1. I have ran them for the past two years on rifles and pistols and they are great lights.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How good are the rechargeable batteries for these? Do they last very long and are the worth the money?

If you plan on using the light on a regular basis, I can't recommend 18650s enough.  Use it through 4-5 cycles and you have already paid for the battery when compared to even the crappiest, cheapest CR123s.  Most of the lithium ion batteries we stock are rated for around 500 charges, will give you better battery life than CR123s, and can run several light models at a higher sustained output, assuming you are using the better 18650s.  The best ones we stock at the moment are the Eagletac 3100 mAh 18650s, which are using Panasonic Japanese cells and are awesome.  We are out of stock on them at the moment, but have more coming in next week.

What if I don't use it very often? Are they still worth it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for all the info guys! I ordered a Streamlight TLR-1S for my G19 and a Klarus XT11 for my AR or just to carry on me. Heck I may have to get another one!  Kudos goes out to Going Gear for great service! I ordered my Klarus late Wednesday night and I got it today before lunch using the free shipping option! I will definitely be sending some more business their way. I couldn't wait until tonight so I have been down in the basement with the lights off "playing" with my new XT11!   LOL  So far I am impressed!
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#35]
When will y'all have the X300 in stock????
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I have the Surefire M951 on my rifle. I just carry extra batteries. Great light, just wish for longer life
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#37]
i run g2 led's on my long guns in scout mounts at 10'o clock as well as daily on my duty belt.  no complaints.  stay away from the streamlight polytac led.  decent light for bag or belt carry, but the clicky endcap isn't suited for weapon lights. plus i managed to crush the body sufficently with one of my mounts that the batteries no longer made a connection with the terminals (and i wasn't reefing it down)  tightened it down enough for it to not move and it didn't work...
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having been on the receiving end of a TRL1S, during a weekend of force on force training...there's a reason I own serveral of them.

Having been on the giving end of that same course I have even more! During this course I was just running the TLR-1S on my M&P. After this course I am now running it on all my ARs also.

All jokes aside a high lumens output light is a good thing to have adding a strobe to it adds on a whole new level of frustration on the persone receiving the light!

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Try Olight for a hard working and reasonably priced tactical light.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a TLR-1 on my handgun and a Surefire G2 LED in a Viking Tactics mount on my AR. Both were under $100 (the Surefire/VTAC mount combo considerably less).
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#43]
TLR-1S for handguns
Various surefires on long guns

Link Posted: 3/7/2012 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I have an Insight M3 (125 lum LED) on my M&P. For a handgun (which requires removing the light to change out batteries) I prefer the Insight light mounting system to that of the Streamlight TR's. For a rifle I prefer something with more output/throw. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I like the advantage of not having a weapon-mounted light on a sidearm, in order to flash at point A, while simultaneously taking a quick look in the dark room from point B.   I do have Meprolight tritium on my sidearms.  

Otherwise, I like Streamlight's integrated forend lights for a Benelli, but neither are cheap.

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#47]
My insight M6x has been okay, but just okay and it's expensive. If I could do it over I'd probly go with the surefire though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Surefire LED, nuf said.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#50]
What's "too expensive" varies for everybody but I would advice you don't shop on price alone. Obviously quality really matters too but so does weight, placement options, runtime, output, color rendition, etc.

I know a lot of people will recommend a Surefire G2\6P with their mount of choice and don't get me wrong, that's not a bad combo and I used it myself for a while but there are better options out there. The issues I had with the G2 was not only was the output and run time less then optimum IMO (w/ the stock lamp) but I also found it to be too big and bulky. That prompted me to take if off during practice and training and really, that's not a good idea.

IMO, the best deal going when you consider everything (quality, output, color, runtime, weight, size and price) is the Surefire\VTAC L4 with your mount of choice. The Mini-L4 is a good choice if you are looking for something even more compact and don't need as many lumens as the standard L4.

Some of the pistol light such as the X300 or TLR-1 are good options too depending on your shooting style and rifle setup, especially considering they come with built in mounts too. Depending on your setup they might be able to be mounted at the 12 o'clock position which is ideal. The potential problem with them is activation, depending on your setup and shooting style they may be very hard to activate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top