Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 10:38:43 PM EDT
Was looking at the maxpedition Kodiak for a fast get out of dodge pack to go with my ammo/ weapons heavy duffle.1100 cubic inches and lots of space to oragnize things also lots of attcahment area on the outsied of the pack for mag pouches and radio. Any of of you guys use one let me know.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you might be better getting an actual back pack, maxpedition makes some good stuff..but I have my reservations on the single over the should bag for long hikes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with one of Maxpeditions backpacks with two shoulder straps.  I have a Malaga which is one of the smaller gearslingers and I wouldn't want to carry it for an extended period of time.  It rides very low on the back and doesn't sit comfortably on the shoulder.  I'm replacing mine with the new Typhoon backpack.  I do reccomend Maxpedition though, their products are built like a tank!  I just wish they were made in the U.S.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
You may want to go with a regular backpack thats large enough to carry some/all of your weapons and ammo. Its much easier to carry weight on your back than strapped over your shoulder in a duffle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree what others have said about the heavy load, that you should have two straps BUT the size of the Kodiak.....You can't carry that much so your load is not going to be that heavy. If you are talking water bottle, small survival kit, small first aid kit, 2 days of food, handgun, 2 or 3 mags, headlamp/flashlight, space blanket, 25ft of paracord, hat and gloves......Perfect bag for that. If you are looking to carry 12 AR mags, Body Armor, Set of boots, 2 gallons of water, 2 man tent, etc.....You have the wrong pack. The single strap design that the Kodiak is very comfortable at the 20lbs load. Hope this helps. And yes, I am a Maxpedition dealer so my thoughts are a bit biased here. If you are looking to carry a larger load may I suggest an Eberlestock Gunrunner , G2 or X3 Lodrag. I do offer AR15.com discounts.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#5]
One thing about Maxpedition is I believe they are real liberal with their CI numbers.  I have a Falcon II and I don't think it's actually the 1500 CI stated.  Maybe it's because of the shape and different pockets, but it just doesn't pack like others in the 1500 CI class.

Overall though, they have tough products and are built like the aforementioned tank.  But for what you might think you need, I would say get the next larger size in a regular pack and skip on the single sling type.  Depending on your weight, a single shoulder can get real sore after a while.  At least with the double pack, you will have the weight distributed over both shoulders.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
have to agree with everyone else.  go with a two strap pack.  have a sitka that i carry everyday.  modest weight...with a 1ltr bottle and my cpl, it tops 13 lbs.  now i walk alot for work and for fitness, and a two hour walk (think 6 to 8 miles over even terrain) with this thing on my shoulder has me in serious pain.  two straps are better than one for anything you plan to carry for more than a modest amount of time.  

its a great "grab and toss on the passenger seat" bag, or a modest day pack if you are bumming around a large city and riding a bus or something and can take it off regularly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I also have the Sitka. I love it as an urban day bag. I'll even use it mountain biking sometimes and small day hikes. Any more than 10 to 15 pounds in it though and it's not comfortable after about 20 minutes.
My Maxpedition Vulture II is my bob. I wish they made something bigger though because even that has filled up faster than I thought it would.
For what it's worth though I love both bags.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I also have the Sitka. I love it as an urban day bag. I'll even use it mountain biking sometimes and small day hikes. Any more than 10 to 15 pounds in it though and it's not comfortable after about 20 minutes.

My Maxpedition Vulture II is my bob. I wish they made something bigger though because even that has filled up faster than I thought it would.

For what it's worth though I love both bags.

I feel the same way with my vulture II. I ended up adding a couple molle bags, etc. to increase volume. Unfortunately, it might look a little too tacticool for my tastes. I've come to the conclusion that if shtf, that I don't want a military esque looking pack for a bob.

edit: My limit for a bob minus ammo/firearm is 35 pounds, 8 pounds allotted for food.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top