Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 3:52:52 PM EDT
Was at the local army/navy store today looking to pick up a MSS. They happened to have one tucked away in the shelf so i pulled it out to check what was in it. I pulled out a black sleeping bag, a grayish/green sleeping bag, and a woodland camo bivy sack. I ended up buying the system for $200.

Got home and laid the whole set-up out to see about putting it together. Upon reading the bottom of each bag(which i should have done at the store) i noticed that both the sleeping bags are labeled "Modular Sleeping Bag Intermediate Cold" The black bag seems to be slightly heavier than the grayish/green bag. Neither bag has a Patrol Bag marking on it.

I was wondering 2 things. 1) Is this the proper set-up for this system? If so which bag goes inside the other? 2) If it isn't, will it work just as well or better than intended seeing as though it has two of the intermediate bags? Or will it not work and i should head back to the store tomorrow?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Im pretty sure ur good to go. The army was still issuing the woodland sleep system up to a few years ago. The green bag should be the lightest and go inside the black, which goes inside the bivy
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like the gear I have issued to me now!

The black bag is good but bulky. I personally like using the green and the bivy together with a poncho liner in between the two. Its much smaller to pack just that and its almost as warm as the black.

You should be good to go man
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome. It all came in the stuff sack. Went to four local army/navy stores and this is the only one i could find. Glad to hear its all there. Thanks for the quick replies.

ETA: So went to put grey bag in black bag and noticed something with the snaps. Both bags have 6 "male" snaps on either side of the zipper on the outside. Each bag only has "female" snaps on the inside right side (right as if you were inside the bag looking at the zipper). Shouldn't the black bag have "female" snaps on each side of the zipper to attach to?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The black bag (intermediate cold) goes inside the green bag (patrol) when they're used together, so the black bag will have male snaps only. The green bag has female snaps on the inside, and male on the outside for attaching the bivy cover. The difference between the two in weight and loft is instantly apparent, plus the black bag has a draft collar while the green one doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Both bags have the same snap setup, with only one set of female snaps on one side of the zipper on the inside. And both bags have a hood with drawstring closure, neither have a collar to them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The lighter outer bag should say Patrol.  It sounds like you got 2 intermediates.  I think the new intermediates are gray.  The store you bought it from should be will to swap since the intermediates sell for more than the patrol bags.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Reading tag on black bag it says to place black bag inside green bag. On the grayish/green bag it says to place urban gray bag inside foliage green.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 6 of them. Based on the pics you have the whole, real US mil set up and it will work well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
After looking at the bags they are both the same. I am assuming i have 2 intermediate bags from 2 different systems. My question now becomes will this work better than an intermediate and a patrol bag?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After looking at the bags they are both the same. I am assuming i have 2 intermediate bags from 2 different systems. My question now becomes will this work better than an intermediate and a patrol bag?

Put them together and they will probably keep you warmer than the patrol bag/intermediate bag combo.  But you won't have the option of using the light weight patrol bag for mild weather.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like someone mixed in an army IMSS intermediate bag instead of the green patrol MSS bag.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
If you really want the patrol bag, Armygear.net has them. I haven't ordered from them before, but heard some folks say good things about them on Arfcom.

Link
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I'll be going on an overnight camp to a local mountain this weekend and i'll see what happens with two intermediate bags. Wondering weight difference between patrol bag and intermediate. non-noticeable?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, I'll be going on an overnight camp to a local mountain this weekend and i'll see what happens with two intermediate bags. Wondering weight difference between patrol bag and intermediate. non-noticeable?

Not a big weight difference but the intermediate(when rolled up) is larger than the patrol bag, bivy, and poncho liner all rolled together. Huge bulk difference.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Used for 200 I would try and return it.  I got the whole system on ebay for 100 bucks shipped.  Not trying to be rude at all but there are better deals out there.

Link 105.00 Shipped

This guy has more than ten in very good condition for 105.00 Shipped.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Used for 200 I would try and return it.  I got the whole system on ebay for 100 bucks shipped.  Not trying to be rude at all but there are better deals out there.

Link 105.00 Shipped

This guy has more than ten in very good condition for 105.00 Shipped.

That would be my suggestion as well. My experience is that there are virtually no deals in surplus stores.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:37:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I do agree that you do not find deals in surplus stores. But, i will be needing this bag this coming weekend so i will keep it and take it as a lesson learned. Another question/concern i was thinking of however. Sleeping mat suggested?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Hell Tscrib101 has them for sale in the EE for $99.00 shipped.
I bought two
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:02:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I do agree that you do not find deals in surplus stores. But, i will be needing this bag this coming weekend so i will keep it and take it as a lesson learned. Another question/concern i was thinking of however. Sleeping mat suggested?

I have a Therm-a-Rest Trail Pro that I'd carry if it weighed 3 times as much. It's a little too wide to fit under the sleeping bag in my bivy sack, but using it underneath I don't find the bivy sliding off during the night. Amazon has them, I'm sure Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops do, and if you have a Dick's or REI store nearby they'll have them too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#27]
So the outer bivy cover looks to be 76" which would fit up to a 6'3" person... so are there any solutions for tall dudes?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So the outer bivy cover looks to be 76" which would fit up to a 6'3" person... so are there any solutions for tall dudes?

The regular bivy has a length of 80 inches if I recall correctly, and I think that's based off of a conservative measurement from something like the foot box seam. I'm taller than that 6'3'', and I can fit into it without too much cursing.

The regular bivy is:
Bivy Cover, Woodland Camo
NSN 8465-01-416-8517

Tennier Industries makes the X-long bags and bivies at my last check, and their bivy is 94 inches long if I recall.
Their X-long bivy is:
NSN # 8465-01-452-1695

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top