Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 10:08:12 AM EDT
I haven't found an answer through the couple threads I've found on Big Buddy Heaters.

Does a propane heater really need a fuel filter? Isn't propane clean?

Any help would be helpful.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
No, it doesn't need a filter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if connected by hose to a 20 lb or larger tank.  (per buddy heater company).  
Apparently the length of hose connected to the buddy heater allows for some type of contaminant buildup (from tank and hose) that will eventually cause the buddy htr to malfunction.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
3 season with hose on 20lb tank no filter, no problems.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
3 season with hose on 20lb tank no filter, no problems.

That's about how long mine lasted without a filter.  

Twenty lb tanks are filthy inside. Buy the filter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a lot of misinformation concerning this heater, even on this board.  There are 2 different hoses available (and maybe different lengths), 1 with a regulator and 1 without.  If you are using high pressure (no regulator) then you need the filter to keep the propane from dissolving contaminates in the hose.  If you use a low pressure setup, forget the filter.  If you plan on running from a 20# or larger tank, it makes sense to buy the more expensive hose with built in regulator so no filter will ever be needed, Big Buddy Heater #F271803 $48.18 from Amazon.  If you are going to have electric available, I'd suggest you get the 6V power adapter to run the fan; makes a hugh difference.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a lot of misinformation concerning this heater, even on this board.  There are 2 different hoses available (and maybe different lengths), 1 with a regulator and 1 without.  If you are using high pressure (no regulator) then you need the filter to keep the propane from dissolving contaminates in the hose.  If you use a low pressure setup, forget the filter.  If you plan on running from a 20# or larger tank, it makes sense to buy the more expensive hose with built in regulator so no filter will ever be needed, Big Buddy Heater #F271803 $48.18 from Amazon.  If you are going to have electric available, I'd suggest you get the 6V power adapter to run the fan; makes a hugh difference.

Sorry, guys should have been better on the info. Computers been driving me nuts today,

I'll be using the 20lb tank and I did order that hose w/regulator.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]
i don't know anything about the hose, but i was told at my local airgas outlet that some places put a powder into the larger propane tanks as a desicant, and at times the desicant will get into the gas outlet and clog.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a buddy for hunting, and a big buddy for backup to my champion 3500 generator and 50 1lb propane tanks for reserve with 10 20lb tanks for backup.  I have the filter but have it's still new in the box and I've never tried it out.  Probably ought to at least hook it up before the lights go out and I have no back up for my backup.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
The filter is so cheap, why not just use it.  If it will extend the life of the heater, it's worth the investment in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Believe it's the green hose that does not need the filter.  If you are running it with the black hose (most common) you need the filter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top