Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2011 12:57:50 PM EDT
Is it a good idea to add a universal fuel filter to a gasoline generator such as this?  

There is no filter on the engine currently, just some fine-mesh screen on the fuel tank filler.  

It's one more part to maintain and keep on hand, but on the other hand, replacing a clogged fuel filter is generally faster and easier than removing and cleaning a carburetor.

Overkill?  This is for a generator that probably won't see much use.  In the past 5-6 years, I can only recall maybe 2 or 3 times where I would have liked to have a generator.  The generator is new, five hours on it.

ETA:  Where my easy button?  That was easy!  Stopped by Carquest and they had a little universal filter like the one linked to above.  Made in Israel - don't see that very often.  I wasn't sure what size clamp I needed, so I bought a small multipack.  

Anyway, there's maybe 9" of fuel line between the carburetor and petcock on my generator.  I simply cut it in half, slipped some spring clamps onto each end, pushed the filter in being sure to look at the arrow on the filter for flow direction, moved the clamps back into place, turned the fuel on, and I was in business.  Five minute job.  If it causes problems, I can always replace the line.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
sure can't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
My 12+ year old generator has a fuel filter on it similar to the one you show.  I have to change it every so often as it does catch particulate on occasion.  You never know if the tanker just stirred up the in ground tanks before you pulled up for a fill up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
No negative, so I would add one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't impeded on fuel flow and redundancy is always a good thing in my eyes so I'll +1.

Also, see what you can do about finding a fuel shut-off with an extra port. The extra port and a length of fuel hose comes in real handy when you want to drain the tank. You could always just disconnect the fuel line at the filter to drain the tank, but more times than not you'll have to jerry rig a funnel to reach the gas container and still wind up spilling some gas.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Most auto parts stores carry larger versions of the same item. Back in the day, they used to be quite common on "imported" vehicles with 4- and 6-cylinder engines.

Larger is better, because it doesn't clog as easily.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
sure can't hurt.

+1  I would. ETA: Another link/source.  A great place to do business with.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it a good idea to add a universal fuel filter to a gasoline generator such as this?  

There is no filter on the engine currently, just some fine-mesh screen on the fuel tank filler.  

It's one more part to maintain and keep on hand, but on the other hand, replacing a clogged fuel filter is generally faster and easier than removing and cleaning a carburetor.

Overkill?  This is for a generator that probably won't see much use.  In the past 5-6 years, I can only recall maybe 2 or 3 times where I would have liked to have a generator.  The generator is new, five hours on it.

I don't think it's a good idea.

I think it's a necessity.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
while your at it install one of those plastic gas line valves from autozone.  It makes it easy to pull the carb, drain the tank, winterize.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
while your at it install one of those plastic gas line valves from autozone.  It makes it easy to pull the carb, drain the tank, winterize.

???
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#10]
An in-line filter is a good idea, but not one with a paper element.

I have replaced so many of the filters pictured in the OP's link recently, I have lost track. Kohler and others make a filter that is identical, but uses a nylon element. The holes in the element are large enough to let gasoline pass, but not water.

I seek to think ethanol is responsible for attracting water because it is hygroscopic. The fuel will sit in the tank during periods of no use, and moisture/water will collect in the bottom of the tank. It will flow from the lines into a filter with a paper element, and stay there - no gasoline will pass through a paper element saturated with enough water.

This applies to everything, I had a 2000 model Gold Wing last month with the same problem, paper element as OEM part. Full tank of fuel, but none getting past the filter. I installed a new filter with a nylon element, drained the tank and installed fresh fuel, worked fine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link to Kohler filter?

FWIW, I can still get ethanol-free gas and that's all I run.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Last year I installed a small filter similar to the OP's and IIRC it had a plastic screen kind of element.

Installed it into a Honday 2000 inverter genny and it was a tight fit. That's the genny I was always having to pull the carb and clean so I'm wondering if this filter helped. Haven't had the need to run the genny much this year due to adding a couple more solar panles but I think I'll run it later today and see if there's an issue.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump for update.  Thanks all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top