Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2011 9:02:03 AM EDT
I am getting ready to rehab one, or maybe two good but inexpensive ten speeds that have gone to seed.  Knowing that tires and tubes are a weak point for bikes that set around idle, and that thorns, etc. are a problem in my area, I've been reading a little about the solid tires.

Any experience? I know that some complain of a hard ride, but havent heard anything about how long they last. Also, do you find these in your area or will they have to be ordered from B F Egypt?
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I used these on motor vehicles inside of a large industrial plant  that was littered with sharp objects. Clearly they work, but the ride is very harsh and the effort to move the vehicle was much greater. I would think that the pedal resistance for a bicycle would be very tiring. There are already bicycle tubes with "Slime " in them that might be a more practical solution.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The place I have done the most reading on tubeless tires is at timebomb2k.com, if that is not the site a search without the .com should get it.

A member over there had several threads on them a few years back and now and then he updates on them.

He is a fairly large fella so he actually ordered his tires so that they had double the "psi" rating and the tires would not squirm as much.

I put psi in quotes because a tubeless tire has no air in but the hardness of the rubber is what would be adjusted I guess.  I think normally they come with 60psi ratings and his were 100 or 120.  It has been a while since I read the thread.

And this is on a mountain bike.  I considered getting them for my mountain bike but I don't ride it nearly as much as I should so I have some spare tubes and patches for my bike and call that good enough for now.

If your 10 speed is a road bike with the tiny tires that road bikes use I would do some reading on bike forums and see what you come up with.

When messing with something as big as a mountain bike tire I don't think it is that big of an issue.  I generally cruise around on the bike at low speeds so yeah the tires would be a lot heavier but with a mountain bike I do not consider it much of an issue.

My mountain bike also has a front suspension so even if the tire were very hard it would not be as much of an issue since the front has a shock/spring or whatever up front.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]
slime is your friend
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Just carry a saddlebag or bento box with extra tubes, tire spoons, and a pump. You're supposed to look out for obstacles and if you do get a flat you can change a tube in less than two minutes if you practice. The extra weight of solid tires will SUCK on climbs. Your bike is likely 30lbs already and if you throw on a small backpack along with solid tires you will surely be walking your bike up those hills.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Like many facets of life.  You don't see gator grip sockets in the tool box of a professional mechanic...You don't see tier one operators without good glass on their rifles...You don't see successful bike riders with solid tires.

Bad equipment makes life harder.

If you are gonna use a bike, then you need to do it.  Get the right equipment so that you can be comfortable.  Get the bike fitted so that you can be comfortable.  I use our bikes as a second car.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/648200_hippie_BOV_practice.html

To reduce flats:

Do not buy the Slime brand tubes...They are the most likely to fail tube I have used.

Get the super duty thick tubes if you want

If you have a mountain bike, then install tubeless tires.  

Get some mountain bike tires withe a bit of knobby tread.

Now here is the secret...use tubes in tubeless tires.  Tubeless mountain bike tires are thicker.  Adding a tube to the thick tire really does make a reliable combo.  The knobby tread gives the tire a bit of a way to roll over stuff that would just stab into a flat street-treaded tire.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all. I'm looking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have worked at 5 bike shops in 21 years. The only shop that would install them was the first shop I worked at back in 1986 or so. There is a reason shops will not install them. It is very difficult to get them on the rim without doing damage to either the tire or the wheel.

Second thing to think about. Rotational weight is a KILLER. Kinda like the old saying that a pound on you feet is like 10 on your back. I recomend tires like the specialized armadillo.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=57662

Couple this with a Mr tuffy liner and a thorn resistant tube and you will be almost as flat proof. With alot less weight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a liner and thorn resistant tubes with slime inside. Most people say its overkill but i have yet to have a flat and i ride in the Arizona desert.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Solid tires can destroy the 'true' of a rim on bumpy surfaces, but on concrete and smooth roads should be ok.
Tire liners are good in the desert.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
There's a reason bicycles didn't catch on in a big way until pneumatic tires were invented. You can Google the physics of it, but basically all the air in a tire will absorb a bump, as opposed to just the inch of a solid tire that hits it.

A fellow on another survival forum who proselytizes the concept with almost religious zeal talked me into trying a pair a few years ago. Big mistake. Ended up throwing them away. Not only do they give you a harsh, sluggish ride, but they're very tough on good quality, lightweight rims.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
There used to be kevlar inserts for bike tires, and you can invest in the lined (not sure with what) tubes.

Also consider paying greater attention to where you ride, your focal point should be on the road, not on the birdies and flowers around you.

Get a good pump, spare tube, patch kit, levers, and know how to use them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Get puncture resistant tires. Schwalbe Marathon is THE tire IMO. I've been on a few tours with mine and they were excellent on all aspects. Grip, noise, punctures etc. Get the kind with the kevlar puncture resistant material. These tires can be found in a huge variety of rim sizes.

Always have a pump, patch kit, plastic levers and spare tubes with you. Know how to use them inside and out. In my best days I could mend a flat, inflate the tire and be on my way in under 5 minutes, it's not rocket science.

If you can't reliably fix flats and change tires, don't venture far from your house, eventually you'll have to walk back. I'm speaking from experience.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
As said else-ware here already use tire liners (Mr tuffy or slime) very practical and not too much of a difference.(in feel and not too heavy) that will in itself eliminate most if not all flats

I have been mountain biking since 1988 damn near all of my flats were pinch flats prior to switching to tubeless and running Stan's sealant. Now I have perhaps one to two flats per year.

Lots of the pinch flats, I have had have been off road and I do end up riding quite a bit of pavement/gravel to connect the trails around where I live. "Urban Assult can be hell on tires and result in lots of pinch flats but you can eleminate most of those with thicker tubes or go tubeless and run Stans.

I run Tire liners in my Single speed MTB. and those are great and even work with thorns found in the desert environments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top