Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 1:14:40 PM EDT
What type of emergency light sources that do not require fuel do you all use?  I have been looking at picking up some of the glow in the dark light sticks.  I figure that they would be good for light that doen't put off fuel but also a way to entertain the kids in a storm power outage.  One problem I have is I don't know of anywhere to get the light sticks in quantity for a good price.  Can anyone recommend somewhere to get them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Solar lights... the decorative kind you line your sidewalk with. Not the greatest or brightest but no fuel required and would work in a pinch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/5

Get one (or a few) of these.  They last 10+ hours of usable light on a single AA battery, provides just the right amount of light for most tasks, and are very durable.  Store them without the batteries in them.  They won't go bad or break and get goo all over.

REVIEW

$11.51
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What type of emergency light sources that do not require fuel do you all use?

LED flashlights. The better models have several brightness settings - Typically, the dimmest setting will produce light for hundreds of hours on a single set of batteries. At the highest setting, they can make midnight look like noon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Search my name for my thread on the Coleman high tech mini lantern. I can't remember the name right now so consider this a tag until I can find it tomorrow for you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You should try one of these: Coleman 3AA High Tech LED Mini Lantern

I think this light was discussed here on SF last fall. I got one from them last fall, and have since bought a couple more as gifts. VERY pleased. Will burn for up to a few days on one set of batteries when at the lowest light intensity setting. Makes a great little emergency light for home, and I look forward to trying it out camping. Shipping from this place was very reasonable.

ETA: batman beat me to it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Guys, what part of NO FUEL did you not understand? I'm only guessing here that that means batteries too.
To the OP cyalume lightsticks are great. Just do a google search.

HTR.

Under that definition of fuel, light sticks would be excluded as well.

Batteries tend to store longer than the light sticks.  We do have light sticks in the kids BOBs, but, while the kids find them entertaining, I tie them to the kids so I can know where they are in the dark.  We try to rotate them whenever we camp, and we always have at least one that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:11:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Guys, what part of NO FUEL did you not understand? I'm only guessing here that that means batteries too.
To the OP cyalume lightsticks are great. Just do a google search.

HTR.

You are right about what my intentions were.  However, I have seen some very good suggestions listed and appreciate all of them!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:32:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#12]
If you really want something that doesn't take batteries and will last a long time, you are looking for tritium vials.  Not very bright, but no "fuel" and lasts a long time.  Search ebay for "tritium".

Tritium vials on ebay

Tritium at Deal Extreme
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top