Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 5:52:24 PM EDT
Are these Chinese made junk or are they dependable machines? (If they are Chinese and well-made, then I'm ok with that...)

My Dad is interested in purchasing one and needs some advice.

THANKS!

http://easterntools.com/product_generator_tg5750.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd stick to a name brand genny before sinking a bunch of money into an import model.  At a minimum, you want to make sure that you can get parts for it or know that it has a reputation for running reliably.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If they are Chinese and well-made, then I'm ok with that..

They're Chinese-made, but don't enjoy a particularly good reputation for quality or customer service.

If you're going to go Chinese, consider one made by Champion Power Equipment. They're American-owned, operate their own factory in China, and have their parts and customer support divisions out in California - The techs speak English as a first language.

Over on RV.net, there's a 930 page discussion thread on them - with mostly good-to-excellent reviews.

Lowe's carries one or two of their smaller models, as does Tractor Supply. There are also several high-volume sellers on ebay that have good prices and service.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they are Chinese and well-made, then I'm ok with that..

They're Chinese-made, but don't enjoy a particularly good reputation for quality or customer service.

If you're going to go Chinese, consider one made by Champion Power Equipment. They're American-owned, operate their own factory in China, and have their parts and customer support divisions out in California - The techs speak English as a first language.

Over on RV.net, there's a 930 page discussion thread on them - with mostly good-to-excellent reviews.

Lowe's carries one or two of their smaller models, as does Tractor Supply. There are also several high-volume sellers on ebay that have good prices and service.

I own a 3500 watt Champion. Got it at TSC. Runs great.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
They have it rated on Amazon as 4 out of 5 (10 reviews), so it doesn't seem too bad. Might want to search the net for more.  

I have the TG8250 (ETQ8250). I got it about 18 months ago and haven't had any problem.  I start it up and let it run for 10-15 minutes every few weeks. I've only had to use it once, for about 90 minutes. It has always started in a couple of pulls. The 8250 also has battery start (battery not included), but I always start it manually, then start it again with the battery. I suspect that for heavy use, it might not be up to the task, but I'm just basing that on the fact that it is chinese made, rather than any empirical data.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top