Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2010 4:56:51 PM EDT
Any input on the Kelly Kettle, Thermette, or other similar volcano type water pots ?  Me and brother in law both work in outdoors (Colorado high country) and thought one of these would make good gift for Christmas.  Been wanting one for a while but not sure which is better.  Would buy kit with cooker adapter etc...

I keep pushing preparedness gifts at people and they keep taking them,  why stop now?

Thanks,
Shane
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
No personal experience with either, but...

The fixed handle on the Thermette appears to be a safer design for pouring boiling water. The hinged bucket-style handle on the Kelly Kettles looks like it could could be difficult to control while pouring, possibly causing spills. OTOH, some of the photos of the Thermette show it without any heat insulator on the handle - which could also result in burns.

The largest Thermette holds a pint more than the largest Kelly Kettle, and includes a cooking ring at no extra charge. The largest Kelly Kettle is made of stainless steel, which seems like it would hold up better than copper. OTOH, copper is easier to repair in the field - it can be soldered, while SS usually requires welding with a shielding gas.

In the photos, the Kelly Kettles have a more finished appearance. They're also cheaper (although shipping from Ireland might offset the lower cost).

ETA: Looks like Kelly Kettle only charges $6.95 to ship an entire kit to the U.S. - That's a hell of a deal!
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Will post Kelly Kettle review in near future.  Ordered 2 of the SS large kits, one for me and one for brother in law.  Looking forward to trying, I've wanted one of these for at least 2 years.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
For the same price though, you could go to REI or Sports Chalet or Sportsman's Warehouse and get a Jetboil Flash.

I know it's not what you asked, but it's an option to consider.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any input on the Kelly Kettle, Thermette, or other similar volcano type water pots ?  Me and brother in law both work in outdoors (Colorado high country) and thought one of these would make good gift for Christmas.  Been wanting one for a while but not sure which is better.  Would buy kit with cooker adapter etc...

I keep pushing preparedness gifts at people and they keep taking them,  why stop now?

Thanks,
Shane

after considering both i went with the bushbuddy and a ti pot.  much more practical.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
after considering both i went with the bushbuddy and a ti pot.  much more practical.

Just looked at the bushbuddy.  That is a neat set up.  For the money are they worth it (well built, etc.)?

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just looked at the bushbuddy.  That is a neat set up.  For the money are they worth it (well built, etc.)?

i think so. it is so much smaller than the other choices, it fits inside most pots. i can select the pot i need based on my mission. in other words, am i cooking for 1, 2, 3 or 4?  the number dictates the size pot i bring.  the guy's work exemplary.  it is made of stainless and is only 6 oz's.  whats not to like?
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone in my family owns a Thermette.  We all like them.  It does not take very much fuel to boil the water.  I have not used mine in a few years now, I'll have to get it out again.  I have not used Kelly Kettle but I have no complaints with the thermette.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I own one of the SS Kelly Kettles and I love it.  Super easy to boil water.  

Yes, it is a tad heavy and takes up a bit of room.   But you can also use it to cook with while you are boiling your water.

Your pot/skillet fit inside the base which can be inverted and fits up into the bottom of the kettle.

I think it is easier to pour without burning your hands when compared to the Thermette.

If weight is important to you then you need to go small and go aluminum.  I was wanting something that I could brew
up 4-5 cups at a time.  But even if you go with something small it doesnt take long to get another kettle boiling!

I wish I had one in Titanium...

LB
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think the bushbuddy is an interesting alternative, but only if you practice with it, and only in those areas that have fuel available, and are not wet for a great deal of the time.  Such a device is useless above the snow-line, in the desert, or in climates like the almost always wet PacNW.  Dunno if it's worth much on the prairies, either.  Point is, before you buy, see if there is sufficient fuel in your AO to make buying this thing worthwhile, and stash enough to get you through a rain-spell.

One thing should not be overlooked.  If you are more or less constantly searching for fuel supplies, your attention will be focussed on such.  It might be that your attention should go elsewhere, perhaps to navigation, perhaps to situational awareness.

It's a neat item for some folks, but it has its' own requirements which might be contra-indicated, depending on your individual situation.

not only does the bush buddy burns the same fuel as the thermette or kelly kettle, but it also burns alcohol, and esbit tabs.  a handful of twigs will boil a liter of water.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
not only does the bush buddy burns the same fuel as the thermette or kelly kettle, but it also burns alcohol, and esbit tabs.

Is there any reason why you couldn't put an alcohol burner (i.e., Trangia, penny beer can, etc.) or Esbit tabs under the Thermette or Kelly Kettle?
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
not only does the bush buddy burns the same fuel as the thermette or kelly kettle, but it also burns alcohol, and esbit tabs.

Is there any reason why you couldn't put an alcohol burner (i.e., Trangia, penny beer can, etc.) or Esbit tabs under the Thermette or Kelly Kettle?

there is no need to carry the alcohol burner with the bushbuddy.  i don't know enough about the thermette or kelly to compare with esbit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Recieved the two Kelly Kettle's I'd today.  These are the stainless units with the cooking kits.   The one I opened seems well made without going overboard on the weight,  one concern is handles and chain for cork are riveted onto outer skin.  This didn't leak but was expecting tig welds or something besided rivets.

After making some kindling out of old lumber and breaking up some twigs I fired up full pot of water.  Took about ten minutes to get to boil as I couldn't get twigs to burn well due to still being a little green.  If just using dry kindling the kettle just about roars with a good draft.

Only knock I have in handling is its easy to hold pots bail handle right over top of flue when setting on pan full of buring kindling, this gets way hot quick, I reckon I'll learn not to do that too many more times.

Not sure if other flame source would work as good,  kindling and twigs look like they will fill the flue with a jet of flame from the good draft provided, alcohol burner may not do this as well.  Will test if I get the time.

For my use I think it will be a good addition.  I'm not going for light backpack gear and consider this a piece of truck gear for me and a family size way to get hot water if the need arises.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Only knock I have in handling is its easy to hold pots bail handle right over top of flue when setting on pan full of buring kindling, this gets way hot quick, I reckon I'll learn not to do that too many more times.

Could you use a pair of large stainless steel hose clamps to attach another handle to the side? Seems like the ideal handle arrangement would be like it is on a percolator - easy to pour without getting burned.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here's a thread started by a guy who wanted to make his own kettle.

It's relevence here is a discussion of what sort of auxiliary stove/flame would be useable.  Apparently he found that these devices, while being simple-looking are a bit more complex than first seems: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=7456.

Also, google the following for other alternatives to the kettles, and pure brush/twig burning stoves:  Eydon Kettle, Kelly Kettle, Volcano Kettle, Thermette, Ghillie Kettle, Four Dog, Bush Cooker, Bush Buddy, ZZ Zip Stove, Volcano Stove.

Some of the above look very attractive. I would say that the size chosen should be only large enough to prepare the meal/boiled water for one meal, for one person.  Granted there are space/weight savings for using a larger unit for a number of people as opposed to using individual units, but I think this is outweighed by individual units not committing all persons to a single eating time/place, as well as the benefits of having a number of units should one be damaged or lost.  YMMV.

perhaps each individual should have their own stove.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top