Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2010 5:25:34 AM EDT
A local guy has a set of Kraftstoff 5 L fuel cans for sale along with the cleaning kit. They are only 5L so only about 2.5 gals total but it looks to be a cool set and they would look cool on my ATV instead of the red plastic ones.  Ashing $20 probably could talk him down a few bucks.

Edited to add: After doing some research, this is apparently a '70 s era German kit for painting camo on vehicles. The cans are for paint and the "cleaning kit" in the middle is for cleaning vehicle surfaces and then painting them.  The cans and kit do detach.

What say the hive?

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#1]
YOU HAVENT BOUGHT THEM YET?!?!?!

Id pay the 20bux and be happy doing it, especially if there is no rust inside.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I say "go" for 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#3]
5l is only 1.3 gallons unless you are referring to the total of both cans. If they are in good shape rust wise I'd buy them.

Gloat Alert: I found a NOS blitz can on the curb on trash day. It has a slight amount of rust on the outside and needs a new gasket.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
5l is only 1.3 gallons unless you are referring to the total of both cans. If they are in good shape rust wise I'd buy them.

Gloat Alert: I found a NOS blitz can on the curb on trash day. It has a slight amount of rust on the outside and needs a new gasket.

They are 5L each so total is a little over 2.5 gals.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Send me his phone number and see how long he has them and I will cover shipping too.

You have not studdied fuel cans young grasshopper!
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#6]
OK,  I went and bought them for $15. He said he picked them up at a garage sale over the weekend, didn't know what they were.

From what I've been able to discern, this is probably a parts washer kit. Each of the cans has a colored dot on them near the spout (one black, one subdued mustard) probably to hold gas and/or kerosene The metal two piece clam shell type kit in the middle comes apart and holds rags, metal scraper, a couple different sized brushes and a couple cleaning brushes. All three hook together and lock into a metal pan.  I looked it over pretty good and other than some scratches/surface rust this kit has never been used. The cans have never had anything in them.

Besides the word Kraftstoff 5 Liter on the can, there is a round symbol (see photo) with the letters TGL  and numbers 4368 under it. On the side near the bottom is the word  Feuergefahrlich.  Kraftstoff means fuel.  Feuergefahrlich means,  flame risk or flame danger or something like that.

BTW, each can is 12" high x 9" wide x 4" thick. The cleaning kit thingy is 3" thick but the same other dimensions.

Anybody know anything more about these things?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Coleman's Surplus used to sell those, IRC, and perhaps CTD.  Haven't seen them in while though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
. The cans have never had anything in them.

This alone would make them worth the 20bux he was asking .good for you to get em for 15bux. Sounds like you got a really cool find.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I have mounted them on my ATV. Now I have a mini off road vehicle with mini jerry cans on them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Pics, or send them to me!!!!!!

I'll sure mount them and POST PICS, as mandated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Here are some pics of the cans strapped to the bed of my Polaris X2. The X2 is a two up machine with a fold up seat. The rear bed has a tailgate that opens and the whole thing tilts back like a dump truck. It is a pretty handy machine for carrying people and/or stuff.

As you can see, the cans are strapped to the side walls. They can also be strapped to the tailgate behind the seat as well as seen in the last pic.  This adds about 2.5 gallons or about 40 miles to my range.  I've carried plastic cans in the past and have looked at the expensive Rotopax and Kolpin gas packs as well.  These should be fine under most circumstances. I've had them filled and upside down for a day and a half and they haven't leaked.

Note that you can see the tie down loops (called footman's loops) on the tailgate. The cans fit between those loops.

And with the seat up.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the US Army Version for cleaning the mud off my truck when i go out and play. M13 decon apparatus like this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top