Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 10:51:36 AM EDT
In the last 8 days, I've gone to the work truck FAK twice, other than minor cuts.

I'm a remodeling contractor...so my opportunity for injury average is pretty high.

Both times, steri-strips and the ability to thoroughly clean the cuts kept me out of the ER.

I've now added a 12" x 12" towel in a ziplock bag to all 3 of our vehicles so I have a clean work surface that I can discard when finished.

Refilled used items today and checked the FAKS in our other vehicles that I do not regularly drive.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife works as a nursing assistant at a local hospital.

They have these disposable kits for patients rooms with scissors and other items.

She said they toss these items when the patient discharges.

I now have a pair of these in my FAK in the car.  Amazing what gets tossed at hospitals.

If you know any nurses at hospitals, they can probably get you a pair too that would otherwise be tossed in the trash.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They have these disposable kits for patients rooms with scissors and other items.

I now have a pair of these in my FAK in the car.  Amazing what gets tossed at hospitals.

If you know any nurses at hospitals, they can probably get you a pair too that would otherwise be tossed in the trash.

My Father In-law expired in the hospital in Dec. after 3 separate stays in ICU.

Those scissors and the suture scissor / tweezer sets were everywhere, I asked the nurse where they go and was told "the sharps bin" most of the time. He told me to take whatever was open, then he started bringing part rolls of assorted width tape and leaving them on the shelf.  We gave him a Victorinox AAA LED during one of dad's stays.

During his illness he spent alot of time visiting the wound care center, the nurses there were always sending us home with extra poly-mem silver, specialized dressings, 2x2s and 4x4s.

He had good insurance so the visiting nurses were never afraid to order whatever was needed.
I have a large Rubber Maid tub filled to the top with stuff that built up over the course of his illness.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

[div]I now have a pair of these in my FAK in the car.  

can you take another pic with something next to it so we can see the size?  I have a really small pair of scissors that looks like this, but think of them as fingernail/sewing scissors.

Hospital stays are a great way to "expand your collection".  I've had good luck with it too, even if we haven't had good luck at the hospital.  :(
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Work FAK can be the worst for non-rotation/ replacement  of contents, because no one gives them a second thought til they are needed. Unless someone is assigned to inspect them and restock them, it often doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
can you take another pic with something next to it so we can see the size?  I have a really small pair of scissors that looks like this, but think of them as fingernail/sewing scissors.

Hospital stays are a great way to "expand your collection".  I've had good luck with it too, even if we haven't had good luck at the hospital.  :(
Sure.

They are not that big, they fit perfectly in the small kit I keep in the car.  I think they are stainless steel too.

[div]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Work FAK can be the worst for non-rotation/ replacement  of contents, because no one gives them a second thought til they are needed. Unless someone is assigned to inspect them and restock them, it often doesn't happen.

Our recreation center has 2 wall mounted FAK cabinets.
Without fail the ice paks and 4x4s are gone.
I try to tell people that 4x4s are NOT to be used instead of going to the bathroom for paper towels...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top