Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 10:00:21 AM EDT
I was heading to walmart to build up the lacking BOB, and I saw this setup online, is it any good, reviews say knife is sturdy, but lightweight, I am a knife noob, is this a bad purchase?

Link
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
guess you missed "Not Sold in Stores". you can order it online and have it delivered to your local store though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Eh, the SOG jungle bowie is alright...

I have a whole drawer full of knives I've used on long back packing excursions... sometimes I never bring a pack... and that means I am really depending on my knife to make do for alot (shelter, tools, Fire production, make snares and all kinds of stuff a knife comes in handy for)...

In my opinon... after all of the knives I've owned.

The best knife I own is a Gerber LMF II Infantry knife. It is down right RUGGED. I've beaten the shit out of that thing and it never stops... It has impressed me.

Bare minimum in a knife, good bang for your buck.... Buy a Ka-Bar.

The Gerber LMF has a few ups on the Ka-Bar, but bang for your buck You really can't be the tried and true Ka-Bar...

Ontario makes some really nice survival knives. I own a few of those that I still take out every one in a while. I've just been stuck on the gerber since i bought it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was heading to walmart to build up the lacking BOB, and I saw this setup online, is it any good, reviews say knife is sturdy, but lightweight, I am a knife noob, is this a bad purchase?

Link

I never understood the attraction to either a tomahawk or a sawback on a knife.

As I understand it the primary purpose of a sawback was on pilots' survival knives to help them saw their way out of an aluminum skinned aircraft if that became necessary. Does not seem like I am real likely to need that feature.

I have seen them refered to as root saws too, but I have no intention of sawing any roots with a knife either.

SOG makes pretty good stuff, so I am not suggesting it is poor quality or anything. Just that I would not be carrying either item in a BOB, or probably anywhere else because I think for the weight and money I could get something I would find more useful.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless I miss my guess that Jungle Primitive is 420 stainless.. Which is garbage unless it is Buck's 420HC. 420 would be OK for a tomahawk, but a carbon steel would serve you much better.

That hawk is fine for fighting, shitty for chopping. The hawk is too light, the bevel too thick and the edge too short. You will be pulling your hair out in no time when you go to chop something bigger than an inch or two in diameter. Something with a longer beard, heavier head and thinner edge is the ticket.

That JP knife looks all kind of useless. The partial serrations are worthless and take up the most used portion of the blade- near the hilt where you get the most leverage. The sawback isnt good for much if you are carrying a hawk. It's also too big if you are going to have something else to chop with. A smaller, light profiled fixed blade that will actally slice worth a shit is a hundred times more useful. I would suggest this combo

Cold Steel Rifleman's hawk. It has a good weight to it, fairly thin profile and twice the cutting edge of the SOG. Also made out of 1055 carbon steel which is much tougher and holds an edge longer. the hammer poll comes in handy I have one and it is my go to camping chopper- Can be found on Ebay for $30 shipped. Rub the handle with boiled linseed oil, mabye thin the edge out a little and you are in business.

A Mora, from Mora of Sweden. Medium to smallish fixed blade with excellent quality steel (your choice of stainless or carbon) and a Scandinavian grind which makes it easy to sharpen and cut like the dickens. Available for $10-15 or so online with many different handles and blade styles, all are good.

With that combo you can do just about anything.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top