Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 6:39:09 PM EDT
I've long been a fan of AG Russell and have always looked to his catalog as a guideline of what is and what is not a good knife.  Imagine my surprise to see this in his weekly email...
United Cutlery M48 kommando kukhri machete

I've never heard good things about United Cutlery, except for purchase as play-pretties and show off things.  Now my favorite and most respected seller starts carrying their product?!  Does this mean that I can trust United Cutlery for something other than a wall hanger?!  But then for $20, I might just have to bring one to the upcoming get-together and chop some stuff up to see how it compares...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Your interest in kukris is well placed.  However, I'd avoid United Cutlery products unless you're not that concerned about quality.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've long been a fan of AG Russell and have always looked to his catalog as a guideline of what is and what is not a good knife.  Imagine my surprise to see this in his weekly email...
United Cutlery M48 kommando kukhri machete

I've never heard good things about United Cutlery, except for purchase as play-pretties and show off things.  Now my favorite and most respected seller starts carrying their product?!  Does this mean that I can trust United Cutlery for something other than a wall hanger?!  But then for $20, I might just have to bring one to the upcoming get-together and chop some stuff up to see how it compares...

It's only $23. Go ahead, let us know!
My take: it's 440 stainless, a tab soft for chopping which is what a kukhri is for, so it won't hold an edge too long.. Nepali kukhris are carbon steel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
For the same money why not just get a contract kukri and call it good?  By the Sword sells the originals for a pretty good price  The scabbards are shit, but what else is new?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep meaning to order from http://www.khukuriblades.com/, but I'm waiting until I can decide on which 2 or 3 I want since shipping for one blade is nearly doubles the price.

I think I'm gonna order one of the UC's from AG, provided they get more in stock soon.  I've had nothing but good dealings with them in the past and they always stand behind the products they sell.  There's a Arfcom SF to-do here in Texas next month, so it'll be a good chance to get some varied opinions about it's viability and durability.  I've also got a couple of Cold Steel hawks on the way that I'm looking forward to seeing just how useful they can be.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#5]
However, if you want the uber kukri, then check-out the Cold Steel Gurka Kukri and I don't mean their machete model!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top