Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2010 4:18:09 PM EDT
I asked this also in my HTF . Who here knows about truck caps ? I'm looking for the best . A.R.E. ? LEER ? I want it for a F150 short box and I want one to fit flush with the roof .
TIA, Nick
PS: This is for my BOV so SF related .
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Leer Cap, and while I like it, the side windows started leaking when the canopy was 2 years old.  I have the model with side windows where the rear quarter section opens out.  The rain gutters are behind the windows, and I think ice has built up during the winter and damaged the weatherstrips.  I plan to re-seal the windows this summer.  Other than that, the fit, finish, and quality are great.
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in south Florida so ice won't be a problem .
Link Posted: 5/22/2010 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had 3 A.R.E. Tonneau's.  they have all been awesome.  Bone dry and structurally sound.

I had a good friend buy a leer Tonneau and it leaked.  and leaked.  and they replaced it and the replacement leaks.  and it was more expensive than my ARE.

I know Tonneaus and caps are different, but ARE is good quality.  Leer, well, not so much.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Whoops, read that wrong.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
ARE's quality far surpasses Leer.  I've had both, started out with Leer on my 1994 Toyota pickup.  It was an okay cap but started getting some spiderweb cracks in the gel coat around the door opening and windows.  When I went to the F350 in 1999 I got the ARE cap and had no issues with it whatsoever.  I've had another ARE cap and fiberglass bed cover since then and never had a problem with any of ARE's products.  I am told that Jericho is a pretty good cap maker as well but have no direct experience with them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I had an ARE on my 2001 (bought in 2000) Ford Supercrew.  It was great––sold the truck in 2005 and I had no issues with the cap at all...
Link Posted: 5/23/2010 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Leer caps suck and they do not stand behind them!
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just about everyone I know that has a cap has had some kind of issue with it, regardless of brand.

From what I can see, the dealer is at least as important as the manufacturer.

I had one for ten years and the only issue with it was I had to replace the air shocks, and for some reason the lock on the back failed on me. Real wierd. I just stopped locking it, and did not worry about it.

I never had any trouble with mine leaking, but guys I knew that had the same brand had leaks.

A lot of the troubles seem to be around the side windows where leaks seemed to just spring up.

I think your best bet is to talk to people in your area about who the best dealer is and go visit him. I am not saying he is the only person you should consider buying from, but you should at least give him a look-see.

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Leer caps suck and they do not stand behind them!

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 4:10:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Funny, I was just thinking about taking my hard toneau cover off, and running a tool box with an open bed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#11]
A.R.E. is the best out there.  Lifetime warranty, bone dry.  Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Dad loves his ARE. My LEER had cracks in the gel coat & it leaked around the windows. I gave that LEER hell during hunting season, so some of that could be my fault.

Accountant
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#13]
In July 2009 I bought an A.R.E Z-Series truck cap for my 2001 Tacoma and haven't had any problems with it.  I paid a bit more to have the electric lock installed on it, when I lock or unlock my Tacoma the topper locks and unlocks.  The A.R.E. dealer wrote down my paint code info and ordered it, it matches my Tacoma paint exactly.  Obviously there will be some things that you can't carry with the truck cap and you'll have to be very careful as you don't want a shifting load breaking a window.

Here's a cell phone pic of my 2001 Tacoma with the A.R.E. Z-Series top.

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a commercial Leer. Would not do it again ever. Get something else. You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Another vote for A.R.E.  Color match was spot-on.  They are a bit pricey.

+1 on securing your loads to keep from shifting and breaking a window.

The 5 years I had mine the only problem I had was the third brake light died and had to be replaced.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Went with a Jason. Was nice for moving our stuff to the ranch (bol).
But now I find myself really needing a trailer.  
Will try to find one next vacation or have the wife get one.
Finding a cap kills the usefulness of a pickup. Can't put those extra large items back there now.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I chose ARE. 3 years and no problems.
The aluminum side doors allow easy access to items farther up in the bed. The Yakima roof rack can carry up to 200 pounds.

This is my first and last cap. I have had Pace Edwards bed locker covers and they work great.
Locks, keeps stuff dry, and retracts to allow you to carry larger items. The only negative is it takes up about a foot of bed space.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Snugtop.....period.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Had a cap for years on my S10, dont remember the brand but it was a flush fit fiberglass with matched paint.  I was always impressed with the quality and the ability to keep a ton of stuff out of the weather.  Hell sometimes I slept in the back on an air mat camping and at other events.

I did find myself taking it on and off for hauling larger items which I did more than I would have though.  Other than I loved it, but having said that I didnt get one for my new truck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was shopping for a cap, one of the salesmen recommended going with a framed in back flip up glass window like what CPD has on his Ford. Said the all glass windows were really expensive to replace.

The framed in replacement windows were supposedly 1/2 the price of the all glass one.
I went that route with mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top