Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 10:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#1]

Originally Posted By ilbob:

Originally Posted By hp223:

What I am most concerned about is changing frequency.

According to my Kill- A- Watt the frequency varies from 61-72 changing every second or so.

It does it on 2 Kill-A-Watt meters and both show rock steady when connected to house current.

Will this much change in frequency damage electrical devices plugged into the generator?

Its doubtful that the inertia in the engine would actually allow the frequency to change that much. You would hear that in the pitch of the engine. The frequency is directly related to engine RPM.
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:

I'm not an electrical engineer, but in my opinion the small fluctuations will not hurt your average everyday devices. I would only be concerned if you are running sensitive electronics, or life dependent devices such as a cpap machine or something of that nature, that you can't afford to have fail. Moreover, other than pure-sine inverter based generators, you will be hard pressed to find a generator that provides power comparable to the grid electric in your home.

I am, and in general I concur (but I am not an expert in small generators). Most things don't really care about small frequency fluctuations. It might be that the waveform is not a perfect sine wave and the meter is not doing a good job of sampling a non-sinusoidal wave form properly so you are getting some goofy readings.  

As you are an electrical engineer, would my plan to buy a UPC power supply to smooth out the current for using with computers and other sensitive electronics be a good idea? Would this generator kill my direct TV receiver or a DVD player without it?

I love that we can post here and find out just how far we can push a piece of equipment like this. What its limitations and uses really are. What a great resource Arfcom has been!

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
I bought a couple extra plugs today. My autoparts guy cross referenced the plug and it was supposed to be a N12YC. He gave me Autolite 65 plugs for replacement. I am guessing the hotter heat range will result in the plug staying cleaner in the two stroke.

According to internet scuttlebutt, using TC-W3 two-stroke oil is another trick for keeping the plug cleaner. Supposedly, it burns more completely than "ordinary" 2-stroke oil, leaving less residue behind.
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Skibane:

I bought a couple extra plugs today. My autoparts guy cross referenced the plug and it was supposed to be a N12YC. He gave me Autolite 65 plugs for replacement. I am guessing the hotter heat range will result in the plug staying cleaner in the two stroke.

According to internet scuttlebutt, using TC-W3 two-stroke oil is another trick for keeping the plug cleaner. Supposedly, it burns more completely than "ordinary" 2-stroke oil, leaving less residue behind.

Very interesting that you mentioned that. I bought Pennzoil TC-W3 rated oil for my saw years ago and was planning on using it with my generator. I just figured that it said it exceeded the requirements of the manufacturers and my parts guy said it was good stuff that I might as well give it a try.

Thank God they are both 50:1 ratio.

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
As you are an electrical engineer, would my plan to buy a UPC power supply to smooth out the current for using with computers and other sensitive electronics be a good idea? Would this generator kill my direct TV receiver or a DVD player without it?

I love that we can post here and find out just how far we can push a piece of equipment like this. What its limitations and uses really are. What a great resource Arfcom has been!

I'm not an "expert" on any of those things either, and I don't know much about them. In general though, these devices actually run off DC internally. They either have a wall wart or an internal DC power supply, or some combination, to get the DC needed internally. Most times the DC power supplies don't really care much what the incoming waveform looks like, as long as it is not way off. Defining "way off" is a tough thing. Mere frequency variations are usually not an issue. Even changes in voltage usually are not an issue, as they are often designed to accept power from a wide range of power sources. Its not unusual for the power supply to be rated as 47-63 Hz, and 90-250VAC , or something along those lines for wall warts.

I don't know how "sensitive" your stuff is, but often the sensitivity to power line fluctuations of this kind of stuff is over played to sell expensive power conditioning gear that often serves no real purpose.

Usually, cheap UPS's are of the standby variety. You are actually using line power most of the time and it switches to making power off the batteries only if the incoming line power is interrupted. Many, but not all, standby UPS's incorporate some level of surge suppression and filtering on the line power so there is some protection against transients. Generally if the incoming voltage is too high or too low, the UPS also switches the output to internally generated power. I think some may also switch if the frequency is a problem. Point being that unless the thing switches to internal power, a standby system won't do much to protect something that really is sensitive to power fluctuations (other than some minimal filtering and surge suppression).

More expensive UPS's are of the on-line type. The line power is brought into the battery charger section which continuously charges the batteries and the DC is made into AC from the batteries all the time. There is pretty good isolation from the line on these things, so there is good protection from transients and other power line disturbances.

There are variations on these as well.

If you think you need to protect your electronics from the output of your generator, an on-line type UPS is a better choice. They cost more, but these days its not that big a deal.

I would point out that if the waveform is jacked up enough from the generator that some UPS's will not take the incoming power even to charge the battery.

I would also point out that it is not unusual for batteries in UPS's to need regular replacement. We had one customer that had several hundred small, cheap UPS's in their plant. Virtually all of them failed within a few years due to battery issues. Small UPS's are one of the more common points of failures in computer systems. It's usually not a big deal because the small cheap ones are normally not installed on anything really important. If the average desk top PC shuts down due to UPS failure, its not usually a big deal, as you can just plug the thing into the line until the UPS is replaced.

My suggestion would be to call the tech support line at the the UPS manufacturer you are thinking of using and ask them about your application. They are usually quite helpful. Personally, I do mostly industrial systems and I have mostly gotten away from using UPS's at all as they just create a common point of failure that I don't want to add to my system. For my kind of stuff if the power goes out they can't run anyway, so it really makes little difference.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 10:20:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#5]

snip

Thank you for your response! I had no idea that some of them did not run through the battery continuously.

What about line conditioners? They are actually cheaper and are supposed to step the voltage up or down to give smooth power. They may be a joke for regular line power, but would they have a real point for this situation?
I will definitely wait to get my generator warmed up before running anything so it smooths out.

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]

snip
Thank you for your response! I had no idea that some of them did not run through the battery continuously.

What about line conditioners? They are actually cheaper and are supposed to step the voltage up or down to give smooth power. They may be a joke for regular line power, but would they have a real point for this situation?

I will definitely wait to get my generator warmed up before running anything so it smooths out.

Depends on just what you mean by line conditioner. It's a term that is used to describe a wide variety of equipment.

I used to be a big fan of ferro-resonant transformers. Over time though, I realized that virtually everything actually runs off of DC and the DC power supplies produce very solid power so they seemed kind of redundant. They also generate a fair amount of heat and I have to get rid of that heat somehow. As the panels shrunk on the stuff I designed, I had to make a lot of design choices, and ferro-resonant transformers no longer seemed like a good general purpose choice. Basically all they can do is reduce voltage variations anyway, and most DC power supplies really don't care much about minor line voltage blips.

I used to use a lot of RFI filters as well, thinking I was doing some good. One time a vendor brought in a scope and a transient generator and let me play around with it for a couple days. The ferro-resonant transformer did not do a very good job of dealing with the transients. It was able to reduce them, but did not get rid of them. The RFI filter actually started ringing when I applied the transient generator.

You have to remember that today's electronic equipment is much more solidly designed than in the past. It may not seem like it, but modern electronics are pretty robust. A lot of it has to do with how much heat they generate. Electronics of all types are affected by heat. The hotter it is, the less life you see from the device. So just by reducing the heat, or by more effectively getting rid of the heat that is generated, you can dramatically affect the lifespan of typical electronic equipment.

One problem with DVD players, TVs, and stereos is that people put them inside cabinets where they don't cool very well. I am kind of amazed that more people don't put a cooling fan on the back of their entertainment centers to draw out the heat. I would not be surprised one bit to find that a $5 fan would save more electronic equipment than any UPS or other power conditioning equipment.

One thing I do suggest is a whole house surge suppressor at your service panel. Transients coming into your home (such as can be generated by lightning or grid switching) can do a number on your stuff. Most stuff is pretty resilient, but every time it takes a hit it gets a little damage and over time it adds up.

I wish there were definitive answers to your questions. I don't think there are. Power conditioning equipment of whatever type, including UPS's, are unlikely to harm the equipment they power and may provide some level of additional protection, so you might want to get something, if only to make yourself feel better about it.

The thing with power problems is that it's very difficult (really close to impossible) to tell whether they caused equipment to fail or whether the failure was just a "normal" failure or some kind of defect.

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#7]
I am not terribly concerned about running a lap top on my genny. I can always just charge the battery with it off and then fire it up later.
I think later I will just take a chance and try running my direct TV off it and see if anything explodes. Its a $50 chance.
My computers are rated for incoming voltage from 100-240v. I just did not know how fluctuations would affect things. I figure if I am worried, not running the processor on the genny would avoid issues.
Thanks for the responses. Its been very helpful. There is risk in everything. Its great to have some education on those risks before taking them.
ETA: I am running a small tube type tv and my direct TV receiver on it right now. It was a little weird getting started but now its running great! The receiver didn't want to fire up with the remote. Hitting the button worked and now it turns on and off just fine.
The genny is not as smooth as it was with the 500 watt work light. I figure its the volume changes and brightness changes in the tv. Still cool as hell for $79!
ETA:I decided to leave it running to break in some more. I can hear it running smooth as silk with the work light. I wonder how many watts the tv and receiver were? I doubt they were very much.

ETA: It has been running for 4 hours so far. I had it running for a couple hours last night. I figure I will run the whole 2 gallons of gas for my break in. Not only for break in, but also to use up the gas.

Link Posted: 6/13/2010 1:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ilbob] [#8]
The genny is not as smooth as it was with the 500 watt work light. I figure its the volume changes and brightness changes in the tv. Still cool as hell for $79!

DC power supplies sometimes end up with rather odd looking incoming current waveforms. It might be that the generator finds them moderately offensive.

The light is a pure resistive load and is the nicest kind of load you can have.
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Harbor Freight had 20% coupons in my Sunday paper. I plan on getting one or two of these.

Does anyone know if we can hook these together like the Hondas can do?
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By coljp:

Harbor Freight had 20% coupons in my Sunday paper. I plan on getting one or two of these.

These generators have one single 110v plug. No provisions unless you are an electrical engineer.

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Skibane:

Using a top-quality extension cord (12 or 10 gauge wire) - in the shortest length that will reach - can help a lot in starting and running heavy loads like refrigerators. Most folks like to buy the cheapest 100 foot 18 gauge cord they can find, and then can't figure out why the voltage is so low at the far end of it...

We'll see if this worked better....

Link Posted: 6/14/2010 11:14:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ilbob] [#12]

Originally Posted By coljp:

These generators have one single 110v plug. No provisions unless you are an electrical engineer.

Not even if you are. The Honda units have an inverter section as its output, and they can be easily synced together electronically.

The only way to sync the HF units would be to get them running at the same exact speed and at the same phase angle before tying them together.

However, it should be possible to rectify the output of two (or more) generators and tie them together as the DC input of an inverter and let the inverter supply the AC. Might be an interesting project. Not real practical, but maybe fun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 8:24:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoer] [#13]
Well I was thinking about running out and picking one of these up yesterday, got on the HF website, and the dang thing was listed on their main website on sale for $129 now.

I checked a flyer that runs May 28-June 24 on their website and it is listed at $109, but it seems to be off the $99 sale.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Canoer:

Well I was thinking about running out and picking one of these up yesterday, got on the HF website, and the dang thing was listed on their main website on sale for $129 now.

I checked a flyer that runs May 28-June 24 on their website and it is listed at $109, but it seems to be off the $99 sale.

I am sorry I left my copy of the online price at the harbor freight store. I would have happily scanned a copy and sent it to you.

I wonder if anyone else has a screen shot of that add they can send you?

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Did you call the store to find out what the current price is? that's your best bet.

The last few times I have been in harbor freight the generator has listed for $109, so you will be better off using the 20% off coupon and getting it for $87 than the $89 coupon.

If money wasn't so tight, I would buy an extra one as a spare, or to sell at a 100% markup after a storm.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 6:06:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hawk1] [#16]

Print this coupn and take it down to store. You must act fast as this one expires on 6/16/10

Price is $89.99 with this coupon!
I may have to go get another...

www.harborfreightusa.com/html/MagazineLanders/5-outdoor/images/15.jpg
Link Posted: 6/16/2010 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks to everyone for the heads up on this generator and everyones review. I just ordered one online for the $89. I would have to drive a hour away to pick it up so I just had it shipped for $11. Ill put my review on here after I recieve it but looks like it will be 1-2 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Hello all,

I recieved my Generator on 6-19-10...yesterday! I was expecting it to take atleast one week to show up since I assumed it was a "heavy item." Must say please with the quick shipping. I just broke it out today and fired it up. I ran it for about an hour with only a small fan and a 100w light plugged in. I was suprised by how quiet this ran. For a cheapo i thought it would be pretty loud but wasnt too bad. Of course I dont have a honda or anything to compare. This will fit my needs just right. I plan on using it for when I go camping and when the power goes out. I have a bigger generator but it also uses a shit ton of gas. with this little one I dont think I will be using the big one much at all when the power goes out, unless I just want to show off
For the money I would buy again in a heart beat!
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I just ran my generator for another 3 hrs on my way to finishing off my second tank of gas. This thing runs like a top! Its quiet enough that I left it running for an extra hour because I forgot it was running. The air conditioner covered the noise easily.

5 tanks of gas to break it in is a heck of a lot of run time. My next 3 tanks of gas will be premium on recommendations of some good folks here. I will try out some of the Echo synthetic blend and see how it runs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone have a Harbor Freight coupon link that's current?  I got a flier that shows them for $99, but if I can save more, I will.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By VikingPanels:

Anyone have a Harbor Freight coupon link that's current? I got a flier that shows them for $99, but if I can save more, I will.

Thanks

Print this and take it with you!
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Used mine for a total of about 5-6 hours. Took it camping with me on July 4th weekend. Worked out great. Nice to have fresh brewed coffee when ur tent camping... Probable pushed it harder than I should have before it is broke in... My coffee pot is 800 watt. Oh well it worked just fine and I was a happy camper. I have no complaints so far and doubt that I will, seems to be a great little unit for the price!
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone have a established runtime/max output for a tank of gas? I'm curious about the total kwh potential per gallon for one of these generators.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 10:26:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blacksuit] [#25]
Fyi, I was just cruising Harobr Frieght website and these generators are back at $99. Plus you can use the 20% coupon...
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I just ran my generator for another 3 hrs on my way to finishing off my second tank of gas. This thing runs like a top! Its quiet enough that I left it running for an extra hour because I forgot it was running. The air conditioner covered the noise easily.

5 tanks of gas to break it in is a heck of a lot of run time. My next 3 tanks of gas will be premium on recommendations of some good folks here. I will try out some of the Echo synthetic blend and see how it runs.

Hi B-man,

I didn't know if you knew it or not but O&P Oil and Gas in Andover and up on 84 at Rt 11 have 100% non-ethanol gas.  That is all I run in my two stroke stuff since I had problems in a chain saw attributed to the ethanol.

Thought I would mention it.

S-1

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Shockergd:
Does anyone have a established runtime/max output for a tank of gas? I'm curious about the total kwh potential per gallon for one of these generators.

The owner's manual claims 5 hours of run-time at half power (400 watts) from the 1.1 gallon fuel tank. That's 0.55 gallons per KWH.

By comparison, most small generators with modern 4-stroke OHV gasoline engines will consume around 0.2 gallons per KWH.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmmm...
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#29]
saw a coupon in this months issue of Gun World magazine for $89 for this gen set........
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By blacksuit:
Fyi, I was just cruising Harobr Frieght website and these generators are back at $99. Plus you can use the 20% coupon...

So, you can use the $99.99 coupon plus the 20% off coupon together?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:17:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#31]
Originally Posted By ccherry:
Originally Posted By blacksuit:

So, you can use the $99.99 coupon plus the 20% off coupon together?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

No, they internet price is apparently down to $99 again. The stores will honor that price if you print out the internet add, and put the 20% coupon on top of it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 10:00:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: timkel] [#32]
Are they easy to start in cold weather? When I read 2 cycle, I think chainsaw, weed wacker, ect. When its pitch dark I want easy starting. But $80 is a bargain and reviews above are generally good.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: secamp32] [#33]
After reading all the good reviews of his generator, I ordered one yesterday.  Since there is no Harbor freight store near me I called and asked if they would give me the 20% off over the phone which they did.  So it was $99 -20%+$11 shipping.  I sprang for the 2 year warranty for $20 since i figured I probably won't use it for 2 years and then it will die.  
Now all I have to do is figure out what to tell the wife.  I've been banned from buying any more preps...
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 12:46:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By timkel:
Are they easy to start in cold weather?

Keep a can or two of this around, and you'll have no worries...

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 8:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: capnrob97] [#35]
I just picked one up today.

Started right up, runs great so far.

ETA: Here it is charging some golf cart batteries.  I usually use an 80 watt solar panel, but haven't set it up at the new house yet.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Mine was delivered on Saturday.  I mixed up some 50:1 today and it fired up on the 2nd pull.  Well on the second pull after I remembered to turn the fuel shutoff valve to the on position
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Sooo has anyone had any problems with theirs yet?  

I finally broke down and bought one today for $79.99, but didn't opt for the 2 year warranty.  Yes I am cheap.

Hoping they are simple enough that not much can go wrong with them...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#38]
So the best price on this generator now is $129 - 20%, right?  That puts it at just over $100 w/o tax or shipping.

ETA:

Originally
Posted By Canoer:

I finally
broke down and bought one today for $79.99, but didn't opt for the 2
year warranty.  Yes I am cheap.

Hoping they are simple enough
that not much can go wrong with them...

How'd you get it for $79.99?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
So the best price on this generator now is $129 - 20%, right?  That puts it at just over $100 w/o tax or shipping.

ETA:

I finally broke down and bought one today for $79.99, but didn't opt for the 2 year warranty.  Yes I am cheap.

Hoping they are simple enough that not much can go wrong with them...

How'd you get it for $79.99?

I printed out the screenshot from last week when it was on sale for $99.99 again.  That, and a 20% off coupon.  Carried both in my truck until I was on that side of town where the HF store was.  I didn't realize they had gone off of the $99 sale price today, but I carried the printouts in there and asked the cashier if they'd honor the online price, and she said yes, then I asked if I could use the 20% off coupon on top of that.  She said yes again.  

On another note, I found this: generator at Sportsmans Guide It has two 120v plug outlets and a 12v outlet, although I'm sure it's the same engine, made in the same factory as the Harbor Freight one, and just branded differently.  It's interesting, but not for that much of a price gap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoer] [#41]
I opened the box on mine today, and filled it up with some gas/oil mix from last year's weedeater can.  I was a little concerned at first, both because of the age of the mix, and the fact that my weedeater is 40:1 instead of 50:1.  Oh well, doesn't matter.  The wife and kids are gone somewhere for dinner, so that little blue booger is happily chugging away on my back patio, getting started on it's break-in period.  

It's much quieter than I expected; way quieter than my 2-cycle weedeater.  I'd say it's about as loud as my 5.5hp Honda 4-cycle lawnmower, if that.  Really neat little toy/tool.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I WANT one, but I can't think of anything I would use it for.

We have ng genset backup on the house, and 5500 4 stroke genset for portability.  I don't have a camper, no golfcart or boat, and tailgate about once every 5 years.

But I WANT one.  I just need something I could use it for...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By nturavrgcop:

We have ng genset backup on the house, and 5500 4 stroke genset for portability.  I don't have a camper, no golfcart or boat, and tailgate about once every 5 years.

"Crew-served" is a more apt description of a 5.5KW generator than "portable"...

I think you need a TRULY portable generator - something that's cheap enough to loan out to your mother-in-law, and light enough that she can carry it home by herself!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I like mine so much I am going to get another one.

This time one with a 12V DC out as well. O'reilly Autoparts has them here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#45]

On another note, I found this: generator at Sportsmans Guide It has two 120v plug outlets and a 12v outlet, although I'm sure it's the same engine, made in the same factory as the Harbor Freight one, and just branded differently.  It's interesting, but not for that much of a price gap.

I might get one of these instead since the extra AC outlet & the 12VDC outlet makes it more versatile for not much extra $.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:

It's a good tailgating generator - would run a TV and a satellite receiver.

That's a pretty good price for a generator of any size.  Almost makes it disposable, though I'm sure shipping ain't cheap.

I have one, that's what I use it for.  I run a TV and a fan.  Lasts longer than the car.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By nturavrgcop:

Not that you need more help to justify buying one, but here goes!  

How often do you need to run a 5500 watt generator when your power goes out? Usually not out for a long time. You can leave the Fridge and freezer shut to keep them cold for a day or two. It sure sucks a lot of gas running small appliances and a TV.

The NG generator will only run as long as it has NG pumped to it.

I am planning on buying a 2000 watt yamaha to handle the fridge and freezer, alternating between them for a few hours apiece. The smaller HF will get used for charging batteries and running small appliances.

I do have a 5000 watt genny to use for running the well pump, but that is all its good for to me since its way more than I need to extended power outtages since it would eat up my gas supply in days rather than months. It would get fired up for an hour or two every few days.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#48]
only cost me 11 bucks to have mine shipped...not bad and it shipped fast!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Talyn:

I might get one of these instead since the extra AC outlet & the 12VDC outlet makes it more versatile for not much extra $.

The extra AC outlet wasn't really a concern for me.  I figure what I'll do (with either of my generators) is keep the genny outside on the patio or farther, run a 25' extension cord into the house, and terminate in a power strip.  So one outlet or two on the generator itself doesn't really matter to me.  

The 12VDC outlet would be kind of nice, but I'm not sure how much loss I'll have from my 120VAC to 12VDC  battery charger.  

On ANOTHER side note, these little things are popping up everywhere.  Yesterday at a local pawn shop, I saw a John Deere branded one that was very similar to the Mossy Oak generator.  It had 2 120V plugs, a DC plug, and a voltmeter.  But the pawn shop was asking $169.99 for them.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Here is the one from O'Reilly Auto Parts charging a deep cycle with it's 12 VDC out.

I don't know why it is 40:1 fuel mix, and the one from HF is 50:1?

Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top