Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 27
Posted: 1/31/2010 5:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations]
Review of the $79 Harbor Freight Generator.

I used a 20% off coupon, when I  caught this unit on sale for $99 dollars. For the record, I bought it as a backup to my 5000watt Coleman 10hp generator.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66619

Here some pics.

Overall I give it 3 out of 5.

Using a Radio Shack sound meter I measured its noise at 72dB at 22ft (specs are 69 dB at 21ft) 3/4 Load. Quiet enough, at the end of a 50ft extension cord.

At idle, the generator sounds like it is missing, put a small load on it 100watt and it smoothes right out.

I would recommend this generator as a backup, or for poor man seeking a little bit of power. I found the unit will stall at about 1000 watts, and the volts spike rapidly at above 850 watts.

Run time is about what they say it will get, four hours at 400 watts (they list 5)

Sticker price is $150 plus tax, no way would I have paid that, but for $79 it’s a fair deal. It would be hard to build one for $79 unless you already had a engine and alternator.

I intend to run it a lot during its 90 day warranty, in order to test it before it’s to late.

For those of you that cannot find it on sale for 99$ and apply the 20% coupon.  Here is a coupon for $89.00 I doubt very heavily they would allow you to combine a 20% with it, if anyone trys and it works let me know

***EDIT**

After doing so browsing and photo comparison, I believe this unit is the same as the ETQ model at northentool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313480_200313480

160 reviews got it a 4 out of 5.

Although the watts rating on the ETQ is misleading, it will not run 1000watts of stable power.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: easy610] [#1]

Awaiting any additional insight....thanks for the post.

I'm a generator idiot.  What could you run with this, household items as example....?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By easy610:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/easy610/thisthread.jpg

I'm a generator idiot.  What could you run with this, household items as example....?

not much at the same time, however, a chest freezer/fridge (depending on size). Lights, TV computers, fans...the list goes on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]

It's a good tailgating generator - would run a TV and a satellite receiver.

That's a pretty good price for a generator of any size.  Almost makes it disposable, though I'm sure shipping ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
For $80 I would buy one of these for a battery charger for my eneloops and power tools. I am eventually going to buy a Yamaha 2800, but this would be okay to play around with for the price.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:

It's a good tailgating generator - would run a TV and a satellite receiver.

That's a pretty good price for a generator of any size.  Almost makes it disposable, though I'm sure shipping ain't cheap.

If you buy it online, you pay full price. In order to get sale price and use coupon you have to go to store.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:28:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: easy610] [#7]

disreg

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:

not much at the same time, however, a chest freezer/fridge (depending on size). Lights, TV computers, fans...the list goes on.

I wouldn't hook up a $700 computer to a $79 generator if i were you.

not if you want to keep your computers hard drive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Which Harbor Freight and how long are they on sell for?  Im in NW FL and hoping you got it in Tallahassee..  For 79.00 is there anything to compair it to?  Looks like it would be fine for a little camper.. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Wish they offered a DC-only version...

800 watts at 14.5 volts would be around 50 amps - perfect for quick-charging deep-cycle batteries...
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a similar generator.  They're great for the money I think.  The best part about these cheaper ones is that they don't just cut off at a certain wattage, instead the voltage starts to drop as you pull more current.  This makes it great for things that can stand a drop in voltage –– fans, lights, space heaters, etc.  If you pull to much they just slow down or dim.  I'd get a UPS in between if you want to run anything electronic.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 11:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave_A] [#12]

It's designed as a highly-portable construction generator, to run small power tools...

1000W/120V = 8.3 amp load.

It's also, IIRC, a 2-stroke.... Runs oilgas....

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By plcdwg101:

Which Harbor Freight and how long are they on sell for?  Im in NW FL and hoping you got it in Tallahassee..  For 79.00 is there anything to compair it to?  Looks like it would be fine for a little camper.. Thanks

The same little genset is also sold by most of the national-chain auto parts stores (Oreilleys, Autozone, etc) under different brands...

Price is usually $90-120 or so...

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I called my local store, and they have them in stock, and on sale.
I also printed off one of the 20% off coupons from the link you posted. (Thanks)

I've got a couple of heated water buckets (150w) for the horses, and this would be just the thing to keep in the barn when we lose power.
It's really a pain when their water keeps freezing up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By plcdwg101:

Central FL, I think the sale runs through Feb 10th.

Compare to these
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=two%20stroke%20generator&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you think it would run a small (5000 BTU) A/C? I need one for my weekend camper.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#17]
Originally Posted By steve_moore:
Do you think it would run a small (5000 BTU) A/C? I need one for my weekend camper.

I will give it a test once I get my hands on one, it would not start a 11,500 BTU a/c that is in my camper......however, that thing is 20 years old. I could however, run it on high fan

I guess it will all depend on the surge amps, most new 5,000 BTU a/c only run at about 400-600 watts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you think it would run a small (5000 BTU) A/C?

Very unlikely. A 5000 BTU A/C will draw over 500 watts while it's running - and probably closer to three times that amount while it's starting. Even if this generator is actually capable of supplying 900 watts for a brief instant, it's not enough.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I may have to get one of these for my remote campsite . Also could benefit for my elec chain saw . I have terrible luck w 2 cycle saws .

My bro had a nice small genny like this  but lied to me and sold it . Darn it . Nother story I guess .

Thanks for the heads up !!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ranman223:
Also could benefit for my elec chain saw.

Be sure to check your saw's nameplate first to see how much power or current it draws. Many electric chain saws draw more than 800 watts ( 6.6 amps) - a LOT more in some cases.

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, Blackops.
I picked mine up last night.  After I got it home and unpacked it, the first thing my wife said was "It's so cute!"
I did a little testing with it today.

Using a kill a watt meter, it maintained a voltage of 122-126.
Frequency held between 61.2 and 62.
This was done with a 250w load.

It started easily, usually with 3 pulls.
It's no honda of course, but it's not as loud as I thought it would be either.

I've got no delusions about the durability or longevity of this unit, but so far, I'm pretty impressed.

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rsqhobbs:
Hey, Blackops.
I picked mine up last night.  After I got it home and unpacked it, the first thing my wife said was "It's so cute!"
I did a little testing with it today.

Using a kill a watt meter, it maintained a voltage of 122-126.
Frequency held between 61.2 and 62.
This was done with a 250w load.

It started easily, usually with 3 pulls.
It's no honda of course, but it's not as loud as I thought it would be either.

I've got no delusions about the durability or longevity of this unit, but so far, I'm pretty impressed.

Thanks for the heads up!

No Problem,

I have found so many good deals in the Survival Forums as the result of post just like mine, so I am happy to contribute.

I finally got around to reading the majority of the manual and found that the MFG suggest a 25 hour break in period not to exceed 600 watts.

If anyone else buys these, post what you have started with it.

I was able to start the following (separately of course)
a Six amp Circular saw.
5 cubic foot chest freezer
17 cubic foot fridge.
two 500 watt lights
a 1000 watt heater
50amp battery charger
misc small electronics.

I could not start a 11,500 watt rooftop a/c.

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#23]
If I wanted to use it to spin my electric meter backwards by plugging it into a wall socket, would that work?  How much gasoline would you go through to break even on the price of the gen vs. $80 worth of electricity?

Assume I get gasoline for free.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LOW2000:
If I wanted to use it to spin my electric meter backwards by plugging it into a wall socket, would that work? How much gasoline would you go through to break even on the price of the gen vs. $80 worth of electricity?

WTF?
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#25]

If I wanted to use it to spin my electric meter backwards by plugging it into a wall socket, would that work? How much gasoline would you go through to break even on the price of the gen vs. $80 worth of electricity?

WTF?

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By MTpint:

WTF?

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq281/xboxproscar/2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

Just like if you were running a 600W solar array and had a grid intertie setup and it spun your meter backwards when you were using less power than that.

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol... alrighty then.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 3:11:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chvylvr350] [#28]
I picked up one, but it was only on sale for $109.99.  Used the 20% off and got it for $87.99 + tax ($95.48 total) and a free flashlight(which came with batteries).  I just went out and mixed some gas and ran it for a while to see what it souneded like.  I was pretty impressed at how it sounded for a cheap gennie, granted i havent heard a good one.  Plugged in a 500watt worklight to put a load on it. I would like to try a circular saw, but all i have is a 13watt one and don't want to even try that until its broke in a bit.

I noticed in the front of the manual it mentioned to use 89 octane but didnt see that anywhere else.  I ran it with 87 being thats all I got.  Are you running it with 89?

ETA:  I liked how on the maintainence schedule it says to change the fuel/oil mixture after 25 hrs, even though you would have done that at least 5 times in that period.

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#29]
Originally Posted By chvylvr350:
I picked up one, but it was only on sale for $109.99.  Used the 20% off and got it for $87.99 + tax ($95.48 total) and a free flashlight(which came with batteries).  I just went out and mixed some gas and ran it for a while to see what it souneded like.  I was pretty impressed at how it sounded for a cheap gennie, granted i havent heard a good one.  Plugged in a 500watt worklight to put a load on it. I would like to try a circular saw, but all i have is a 13watt one and don't want to even try that until its broke in a bit.

I noticed in the front of the manual it mentioned to use 89 octane but didnt see that anywhere else.  I ran it with 87 being thats all I got.  Are you running it with 89?

ETA:  I liked how on the maintainence schedule it says to change the fuel/oil mixture after 25 hrs, even though you would have done that at least 5 times in that period.

not only did I use 87 octane (10% ethanol), I used 24 month old gas with stabil. Ran just fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Hmmm
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By MTpint:

WTF?

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq281/xboxproscar/2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

Just like if you were running a 600W solar array and had a grid intertie setup and it spun your meter backwards when you were using less power than that.[div]
[div]http://www.seriouscat.com/serious_cat.jpg[

Good luck with that !  You'll make a fortune !  
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#33]
One thing I noticed is that the plastic cover around the outlet is not secured very well.  When I go to unplug things it needs to be held or I feel like its coming off.  I wish the fuel tank pickup were better.  I went to start it again, and I heard some/a little gas in it, but it wouldn't start or stay running.  I guess what little gas was in it didn't take much uneven ground to keep it away from the petcock.  Minor complaints I guess, put more gas in and it busted right off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Would this thing be ok to run a small space heater or a 22" -32" TV? I have a APC Power Filter my TV plugs into I'm sure If I plugged anything into this genny I'd use the APC to clean the power some
Sounds like this might would come in handy for a power outage to watch TV or to be able to use a space heater in the winter or fan in the summer...

Is there anyway to chain it down to to a pole or something.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Daps:
Would this thing be ok to run a small space heater or a 22" -32" TV? I have a APC Power Filter my TV plugs into I'm sure If I plugged anything into this genny I'd use the APC to clean the power some
Sounds like this might would come in handy for a power outage to watch TV or to be able to use a space heater in the winter or fan in the summer...

Is there anyway to chain it down to to a pole or something.

depending on the size of the heater, you may not be able to run both at the same time. YMMV.... The power filter would make a great addition, for extra insurance against voltage spikes, however this thing is pretty consistent with the voltage within normal operating watts.

You could put a cable through the handle, other than that not really any places to attach to....maybe weld a lock hasp to the legs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I just looked online and found out we have a harbor freight here. Going to see if the have one in stock and use that $89 coupon
I was thinking maybe one of those little small heaters you'd use in an office. Yeah I was thinking the filter would come in handy to clean the line. I need to look and see how many watts the heater is, guess I'll look at the tv and cable box too.

I don't have a genny,  plan on getting a bigger one later but this would probably fit the bill to either run a lamp,heat,fan or tv for a little while and sure would beat using my power inverter and gas in my truck

Link Posted: 2/18/2010 4:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#38]
3 week update.

I have been running the generator five hours every weekend, for three weeks now...including the initial run time of about eight hours, I have accumulated approximately 23 hours of total run time.

A couple notes:

This generator does not like starting in cold weather, after sitting for five days with gas in it. Took about 7-10 pulls to start it on a 28f degree morning (it is stored in a outdoor shed). This may be attributed to the 2 year old gas I have been using to run it, Im not sure. But after the 7-10 pulls, it fires right up and chugs away.

The engine starts to idle better after 10hr of run time.

Run time has improved as well, averaging about 6 hours a tank (1 gallon) at about 3/4 load.

Overall, I keep the same rating of 3 out of 5 Stars. I hope to use it soon for an upcoming tailgating party to run some accessories in the camper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 1LTfptg:

I wouldn't hook up a $700 computer to a $79 generator if i were you.

not if you want to keep your computers hard drive.

laptops are fine. which is most likely what would be used.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#40]
They've been out of stock here for a while. They don't have any in the distribution center either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Out of stock here too....
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#42]
We picked one of these up last weekend. 92.83 w tax. For a cheap chinese POS I was impressed . Started on the 3rd pull and ran like a champ. It does have an idle surge, however with the slightest load it levels right out and runs fine. At that price I do not think a person can go wrong...provided you're not trying to overload the thing. We did not purchase the extended protection package as offered. I figure at that price after the warranty expires it becomes disposable. Should run the camper just fine.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dIIshoots:
We picked one of these up last weekend. 92.83 w tax. For a cheap chinese POS I was impressed . Started on the 3rd pull and ran like a champ. It does have an idle surge, however with the slightest load it levels right out and runs fine. At that price I do not think a person can go wrong...provided you're not trying to overload the thing. We did not purchase the extended protection package as offered. I figure at that price after the warranty expires it becomes disposable. Should run the camper just fine.  

You don't happen to own/ have access to a 5,000 btu window a/c unit do yah? If so, could you tell us if it starts it? My guess is no, but I have a feeling it just might barely do it.

I did not purchase the ESP either, for the exact same reason. It's not worth the $20 bucks for only a year worth of coverage,
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#44]

You don't happen to own/ have access to a 5,000 btu window a/c unit do yah? If so, could you tell us if it starts it? My guess is no, but I have a feeling it just might barely do it.

I did not purchase the ESP either, for the exact same reason. It's not worth the $20 bucks for only a year worth of coverage,

We do not have access right now. The truck camper has a roof air unit and while it's no problem pluggin in and trying it ( I predict fail )  the whole unit sits in a snowbank under a tarp...spring is however just around the corner and I will post the results. Some things I have run : A 1/2 inch impact driver ( another Harbor freight purchase ) ,battery charger, sabre saw, toaster, air compressor (with a 2 hp motor ? ) grinder 1/4 hp motor and a skill saw. All ran fine but the generator did struggle a bit with the compressor. That motor does have some start issues and takes a while to run full rpm and I suspect that to be the reason for the generator surge.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#45]

We tried a 5k AC with a Honda EU1000 and it ran it OK.

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By EXPY37:

We tried a 5k AC with a Honda EU1000 and it ran it OK.

I bought a 5 or 5.5k btu window unit (don't remember which size, and it's now packed away in the attic awaiting another hurricane...so i can't confirm right now) a while back and tested it out with both this ETQ genset as well as a EU1000i. Neither one had enough juice to overcome the initial surge to kick the compressor over  

The Honda just tripped very quick (had to hit the reset button) and gave up on the load; the two-stroke one grunted heavy, made a little racket and tried to hold the load but eventually I ended the experiment after ~1minute as I didn't want to break the genset while seeing if it could be overloaded.  In my book, the window unit will have to be for the 5.5k watt big(er) generator.

Regarding the smaller ETQ/harbor freight generator, it's a very good bang-for-buck buy.

I've used it a couple times with good success with an electric chainsaw remotely out away from the house (just for boring non-SHTF uses
). After I bought mine and told a coworker about it, he bought one and uses it fairly regularly in combination with an electric pole-saw/tree trimmer out at his ranch/farm; genset in the bed of the truck and just a 50ft extension cord to the saw, leave the genset running, drive to a tree, hop out and do the necessary cutting, set the polesaw back in the bed and drive to the next tree and repeat. It uses so little gas it's really not worth the bother to shut it off when not immediately needed.

Link Posted: 3/31/2010 1:56:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Bump for update, pls...
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#48]
AHHHH Crap!!!!!

Now it looks like I will getting one too.  Payday is in a week so I will get it with my coupon for $79.99 from the Rifle man mag.  I have a super duty surge suppressor I will use in combo with it.  I just wonder if it is big enough to run my fridge?  That is about all I want to run.  Hate to loose all of the food.

Buzz
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By blvdbuzzard:
AHHHH Crap!!!!!

Now it looks like I will getting one too.  Payday is in a week so I will get it with my coupon for $79.99 from the Rifle man mag.  I have a super duty surge suppressor I will use in combo with it.  I just wonder if it is big enough to run my fridge?  That is about all I want to run.  Hate to loose all of the food.

Buzz

Yes...depending on size and age. The newer the better.

I ran a 5 cubic foot chest freezer, and a 18 cubic foot refrigerator, separately of course.

The gen bogged down on the fridge, but just until the compressor got going.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By blvdbuzzard:
AHHHH Crap!!!!!

Buzz

Yes...depending on size and age. The newer the better.

I ran a 5 cubic foot chest freezer, and a 18 cubic foot refrigerator, separately of course.

The gen bogged down on the fridge, but just until the compressor got going.

Yep once the compressor starts it should be able to handle a smaller newer frige. It however will not start the roof air on the camper. The reset did not trip on the generator but the motor on the ac was NOT sounding well and I pulled the plug. I did then start the ac hooked to a 30 amp line and it started and ran fine with no issue. My conclusion is the 800 amp unit performs very well within it's means...a very good bang for the price. One does have to understand it has it's limitations.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top