Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 1:43:39 AM EDT
Every year I go up north MI to my grand Parents house and snowmobile/shoot/hunt/fun. After last years little excursion
where my snowmobile broke down 22 miles away from the house, and about 10 miles away from town, I need to make
sure my BOB has everything needed for winter. After all last year being cold, with terrible gear, I've decided to actually spend
money on decent gear this year. So far I bought a TAD Spectre Hoodie Soft Shell, LAPG Tact Fleece Zip Jacket (layer), Hatch gloves,
TruSpec Fleece cap, Thermal pants, quite a few pairs of LAPG Operator pants and tomorrow will be ordering a pair of ORC PCU L5 Soft shell
pants. So as for being warm, I think I got it all down. But last year, I found my BOB lacking, specially having to hike to town in deep snow.

What would be the essentials when speaking in terms of a "winter" Bob? At the moment I have an Eagle A-III Molle in khaki as my BOB.
I have an emergency vehicle kit my dad gave me, but basically everything in it has been expired since 2002. Need to keep it to a budget
as the snow gear above has put a big dent in my bank account. We generally do alot of snowmobiling, really far distances, and most of
my stupid friends like to do the stupid things, which usually end up with broken snowmobiles...  

So far I'm thinking:

-Emergency Blanket
-mid size tarp
-Fleece Blanket
-Decent fixed blade
-Bic Lighters
-Basic first aid (bandages ,tweezers, alcohol wipes, safety pins, Asprin, creams, ect)
-Few MREs
-Duct tape
-Several infusion sets, insulin, and the basic diabetic supplies (I'm a T1 Diabetic)
-Glow Sticks
-Arfcom Water bottle
-100 Feet paracord
- BlastMatch or Magnesium Firestarter
-Energy Bars, random snacks, sugar tablets
-some type of shelter?

Last years little event was a definite wake up call, specially when I looked in my bag and seen 2 matches, half eaten cheese burger, extra socks,
and an emergency blanket. Not to mention the gear I was wearing was less then par....

I do not often post in here, I stay in the team thread most often, so if this is in the wrong forum, or has been done to death
(which I'm quite sure it probably has been, but please, humor me), I apologize. Any links to decent websites and suggestions would be great.  Thanks.

BOB as it sits: It did well through AZ, UT, CO, and more
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I might suggest:

- metal cup or can to heat snow / water in (get one that fits outside the water bottle for compactness)
- teabags, bullion (chicken)
- fire tabs
- led flashlight with signal mode
- candy
- flares
- extra socks (wool)
- maybe something to help keep you off the ground in case of mechanical stranding
- maps

I assume you take a cell phone with you?  How about a 2 way radio to use with the buddies and a plan to check in case you get separated

I have the feeling that glow sticks might not get very bright in typical N MI winter.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Id replace that fleece blanket with wool for sure. Wool keeps you warm when wet fleece does not.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
My basic load out doesn't change much at all. My poly pros stay in all year round. My Wiggies with goretex bivy goes in, my bug net for my shelter comes out.

I keep my cold weather clothes in a closet next to the door. I do not carry cold weather clothing as I will be wearing it. If my shell is not required I will strap it over the top of my pack.

One change of clothes in all year round.

My get home bag is somewhat different.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Around the wintertime, I throw a slew of those hand and toe warmers.  I buy them throughout the year when I find them on sale.  When I was training in cold weather climates in the Marine Corps, those little things took the sting out of the cold.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're going to be in deep snow get a set of snow shoes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I might suggest:

- metal cup or can to heat snow / water in (get one that fits outside the water bottle for compactness)
- teabags, bullion (chicken)
- fire tabs
- led flashlight with signal mode
- candy
- flares
- extra socks (wool)
- maybe something to help keep you off the ground in case of mechanical stranding
- maps

I assume you take a cell phone with you?  How about a 2 way radio to use with the buddies and a plan to check in case you get separated

I have the feeling that glow sticks might not get very bright in typical N MI winter.

Yah, thanks, going to do some shopping soon. Have started the list. Only thing I don't like about the AIII is that theres no compartments in the compartments
so everything gets messy.

Quoted:
Id replace that fleece blanket with wool for sure. Wool keeps you warm when wet fleece does not.

Yah, I have a wool blanket also, I'll swap it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you're going to be in deep snow get a set of snow shoes.

This, most people forget the effort it takes to walk through deep snow.

Also, I'd bring extra snowmobile parts. Things that commonly break.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#9]
that pack is pretty nice, if it wasnt so expensive I would pick one up. Also what knofe is that?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I would add an avalanche shovel.  

I keep mine in my truck in the winter.   I have used it numerous times to help dig out people that are stuck.   I also carry a small spade in my truck year round.  Sometimes snow and ice can become like concrete and it is nice to have a metal shovel.

I would also be carrying a nice sleeping bag rated for 20 degrees.   You really don't want to just have a emergency blanket in the middle of winter.

Candles also produce a pretty amazing amount of heat for their size.

I would also include a small stove like esbit.  Melts snow and ice for water.  Also hot liquids helps to warm you up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
that pack is pretty nice, if it wasnt so expensive I would pick one up. Also what knofe is that?

CRKT NECK Knife. Arfcom store sells them. But since they were out of stock for months, and was not going to get more for months
i ordered from another website. So I don't have the BFG on it

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It sounds like you have soft shell covered with your hoodie, so instead of another shell (orc lvl 5) get a set of level 7 primaloft insulated pants, and jacket.
Looking at your clothing, you didnt mention socks, (dont use cotton nothing, not even blends) long john top(s), You state thermal pants, I'm takeing that as longjohns? Get some surplus brown polypro expadtion wieght long underwear.  I dont know what hatch gloves are, but if your out in the cold, a good pair of mittons are warmer, outdoor research has good hand wear, I have several pairs of there stuff, and it is indefinate garenteed, and top notch gear. You need a good polypro neck gaiter too. Get a good long one, one that you can get up over the back/top of your head and over your ears if need be. You didnt mention foot wear. If I was snomobiling, I would go for a good pair pack style boots, not the old style with the wool bootie, but more than just leather boots.  I use the 24 hour 4x6 inch body heat packs, and the hothands 10-12 hour hand heaters, pack a bunch of these.

I spend alot of time out in the cold fishing. I got the level 7 and it is like wearing a sleeping bag, just awsome warm, but you have freedom of movement unlike a snowmobile suit, or insulated bib overalls or such. Man cold weather gear sure has come a l,ong way in 25 years. The level 5 is way over priced, and it isnt made to be warm, it is just a thin shell, basicly a very expensive wind breaker. If you just got to have a soft shell, order a beyond tactical cold fusion, at least it has insulative properties, and is custom made for you for around $200.  I really dont know about the other clothes you listed or how good they are in cold weather, but the names make it sound like swat clothing, not really the stuff to keep warm in.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It sounds like you have soft shell covered with your hoodie, so instead of another shell (orc lvl 5) get a set of level 7 primaloft insulated pants, and jacket.
Looking at your clothing, you didnt mention socks, (dont use cotton nothing, not even blends) long john top(s), You state thermal pants, I'm takeing that as longjohns? Get some surplus brown polypro expadtion wieght long underwear.  I dont know what hatch gloves are, but if your out in the cold, a good pair of mittons are warmer, outdoor research has good hand wear, I have several pairs of there stuff, and it is indefinate garenteed, and top notch gear. You need a good polypro neck gaiter too. Get a good long one, one that you can get up over the back/top of your head and over your ears if need be. You didnt mention foot wear. If I was snomobiling, I would go for a good pair pack style boots, not the old style with the wool bootie, but more than just leather boots.  I use the 24 hour 4x6 inch body heat packs, and the hothands 10-12 hour hand heaters, pack a bunch of these.

I spend alot of time out in the cold fishing. I got the level 7 and it is like wearing a sleeping bag, just awsome warm, but you have freedom of movement unlike a snowmobile suit, or insulated bib overalls or such. Man cold weather gear sure has come a l,ong way in 25 years. The level 5 is way over priced, and it isnt made to be warm, it is just a thin shell, basicly a very expensive wind breaker. If you just got to have a soft shell, order a beyond tactical cold fusion, at least it has insulative properties, and is custom made for you for around $200.  I really dont know about the other clothes you listed or how good they are in cold weather, but the names make it sound like swat clothing, not really the stuff to keep warm in.

My Tad soft shell is great. tagged with a fleece or insulation layer, its extremely warm. I'd like to get my hands on some PCU L1 and L2 Layers but thats becoming very hard.
Next year when TAD releases their Spectre Hardshell, I'll pick that up, along with one of their Fleece Ranger hoodies. Will be a very warm, and dry combination. I havn't got much money
left for boots, I guess this year I'll just have to deal with my crappy ones from last year (warm, but look like garbage, and suck for hiking, running, and what not). I have looked at beyond Tacticals stuff
along with a number of other companies that sell hard/soft shell pants. Only reason I keep coming back to the PCU/MCU shells are because everything else is in the 200$... We'll see what happens.
Thanks for the reply bro. Helpful.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
If you go out far on your own you should have a decent sleeping bag.  If you go out in a small group there should be at least one sleeping bag in the group.  If someone gets hurt that sleeping bag could be a lifesaver.  Nothing better than getting out on a nice crisp cold night..... like -20, until something goes wrong.  Then the S does not just hit the fan.... but it also freezes!

Also, as someone said, snowshoes are needed.  If you plan on getting off trail much you need big ones.  More likely you would want to walk back on your track so small ones will do the trick.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you go out far on your own you should have a decent sleeping bag.  If you go out in a small group there should be at least one sleeping bag in the group.  If someone gets hurt that sleeping bag could be a lifesaver.  Nothing better than getting out on a nice crisp cold night..... like -20, until something goes wrong.  Then the S does not just hit the fan.... but it also freezes!

Also, as someone said, snowshoes are needed.  If you plan on getting off trail much you need big ones.  More likely you would want to walk back on your track so small ones will do the trick.

Last year was a close call. As said above I was 22 miles away from home, alone, and was taking a short cut through a large patch of woods and
the machine just died. And then refused to start. After 20 minutes of fucking around with it, spraying ether or whatever that stuff is, without result
I gave up, and started walking to town which was 10 miles away. Last year I had a CRAPPY coat, and no snowpants. Was just layered, and not very well.
My A-III pack didn't have much more in it then a few diabetic supplies, half a cheese burger and some minor things that wouldn't do me much justice. And it was
like 5:30 pm... Luckily, after about 4 miles I caught some snowmobilers who drove me back home, and now are shooting buddies

As I said, close call. This year I refuse to be cold, wet and fucked over if something like this happens again. The short cut I took was not cut very well
and was not used by many, so it was God's gift that some people came through. Never again will I by myself take stupid chances like that. Though
as I was walking I began to go low (diabetic) and that cheese burger sure helped. The day before my mom was all "why do you keep bringing that big back
pack with you, it just gets in the way"..... I never leave home with out it. NEVER.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been looking at the pcu L1 and L2 stuff too. That stuff is pricey right now.
I'll tell you a good way to save money on outdoor gear. ebay
I know alot of folks are down on it, but, I just got a brand new pair of L7 pants for $50 shipped, a pair of mid-wieght usgi long john pants for $14 shipped, two different pairs of goretex gloves for under $20 a pair brand new.
You cant get deals like that all the time, it takes patiance and a little hunting, but you can save some bucks over time.
The 300 wieght black polartec fleece jacket and bibs will keep you warm. That is what I have been using the last 3 years. The jacket is under 50, the bibs under 25 for new stuff. You got a hoodie shell, if you dont have shell pants, ECWCS goretex pants for around 25 new.  The older expidition wieght polypro is thicker than the L2, but warmer, cheaper too, top and bottoms new under 30.
Go to your local sporting good store, find the boots you want. Maybe pick a couple pairs you like, try them on so you know what size you wear, then look for those on ebay at a deal. Sooner or later you will find them for over half the price in new condition, trust me.
For about $100 you can be set up with some goiod warm gear that will hold up for a few years.
have fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top