Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2009 12:33:56 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good drop in unit for my surefire 6p; I would like to have more than the standard 60 lumen incandescent.  What do you guys recommend.  I was looking at the malkoff units and the one that TNVC has, what do guys think!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the TNVC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Why?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Malkoff's dropins are the best in my opinion.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php

For one thing, he offers a pretty wide variety of choices, want something maybe a little less bright but with a little more runtime, you can get the M60L, or the M60LL, want a warmer more incandescent tinted dropin, get the M60W, want a flooder light, get the M60F, want a really bright, floody light, get the M60 MCE. I own a bunch of his dropin's and have never had a problem with them. If you do he will fix it no questions asked.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't mind Chinese:

R2 from DealExtreme

Very bright... and durable... mine is mounted on my AR with over 1000 rounds through it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
factory Surefire P60L led drop in. 80 lumens, 11-12 hr run time, SF quality. If you hunt the web, you can usually find a sale every now and again to get them below the $50 MSRP. I have 3 total, two on weapon lights, very durable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys!  Malkoff seems like a strong possibility; If anyone has some experience with the one TNVC sells I'd love to hear about it!  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
factory Surefire P60L led drop in. 80 lumens, 11-12 hr run time, SF quality. If you hunt the web, you can usually find a sale every now and again to get them below the $50 MSRP. I have 3 total, two on weapon lights, very durable.

This. Won't void your warranty, 10 times the runtime of your incandescent. Pretty much bomb proof. Everybody is using LED's from the same manufacturers, why not go with SureFire for a SureFire light? You'll make up for the cost of the upgrade in saved battery costs in no time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the Malkoff - they're my favorites, though I've had good luck with the cheap shit from dealextreme as well.  No experience with TNVC.

Nothing wrong with the surefire dropin either, but for leds, they're a generation or two or three behind what the smaller craft builders like Malkoff are using.  To be sure, SF is very reliable, but lots of people roll with weapon mounted Malkoffs to great effect.  I think the comparison is 235 lumens for the Malkoff and 80 for the SF.  Malkoff also sells  a dropin that's about as bright as the surefire, but has the runtime beat all to hell and gone.

Also, if you head over to candlepowerforum, you'll find a lot of flashlight nerd power there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.  I'll definitely check out the candlepower forum.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:36:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Another +1 for the Malkoff
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with the surefire dropin either, but for leds, they're a generation or two or three behind what the smaller craft builders like Malkoff are using.  

+1

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I'll definitely check out the candlepower forum.

Be careful over there, and...bring your check book.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok guys here is what I did.  I went and ordered the Nitecore EZ-AA it puts out 130 lumens on high with a AA, and will do 20 hours on low power.  It looks like the size I would want and I got it shipped for $44 at 4sevens.com (w/ use of coupon code).  Now, I'm also going to order the Malkoff drop in for my high output light.  Thanks for the input and I'll update as soon as I get it.  I'm super stoked.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Also, if you head over to candlepowerforum, you'll find a lot of flashlight nerd power there.

Most of us refer to ourselves as flashaholics ;)

Edit:
I have the ezAAw (warm tint LED), and its been in my pocket since the beginning of the year. Its a good light. Throws a beam a long way for a light of its size.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to hear that you like it.  Malkoff seems to be out of the unit I was looking for, but I'm sure I can find someone who still has them.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#16]
http://flashlightconnection.com/cart.html

they carry a decent selection of malkoff stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you don't mind Chinese:

R2 from DealExtreme

Very bright... and durable... mine is mounted on my AR with over 1000 rounds through it.

For $7.50 I figured WTH.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Crater; Malkoff M60 ordered and on it's way!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Okay I got the goods!  First off, 4sevens and flashlightconnection shipped my goodies at light speed.  I ordered on like a friday night and I got the goods on monday.  Kudos.  Also, Jay signed the receipt which is a nice touch.  I WILL be doing business with both of these guys again in the future.

I ordered a Malkoff M60 drop-in for my 6p, OMG that thing is a thrower.  It's ridiculously bright, I love it  I also, ordered the nitecore EZ AA;  I wanted a EDC light with multiple brightness options that used the old AA battery.  My 6p eats enough 123's I don't need another mouth to feed!  The nitecore is awesome great throw and spill, and it's way smaller than I expected.  There is only one thing that is weird, and that is it doesn't quite screw all the way down with a battery.  Not a big deal but it makes me take note.  You can also hear it squeal for a second when it's on high if you put it up to your ear, but it goes away in a few seconds.  That's probably the circuits doing it's job.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with both.  Time will tell as to their reliability and long term performance.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okay I got the goods!  First off, 4sevens and flashlightconnection shipped my goodies at light speed.  I ordered on like a friday night and I got the goods on monday.  Kudos.  Also, Jay signed the receipt which is a nice touch.  I WILL be doing business with both of these guys again in the future.

I ordered a Malkoff M60 drop-in for my 6p, OMG that thing is a thrower.  It's ridiculously bright, I love it  I also, ordered the nitecore EZ AA;  I wanted a EDC light with multiple brightness options that used the old AA battery.  My 6p eats enough 123's I don't need another mouth to feed!  The nitecore is awesome great throw and spill, and it's way smaller than I expected.  There is only one thing that is weird, and that is it doesn't quite screw all the way down with a battery.  Not a big deal but it makes me take note.  You can also hear it squeal for a second when it's on high if you put it up to your ear, but it goes away in a few seconds.  That's probably the circuits doing it's job.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with both.  Time will tell as to their reliability and long term performance.

I'm glad your happy with your choice. I hate to sound like a malkoff fan boy, but I guess I am one :).  I have two nitecore's the D10 and D20, and I really like them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top