Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 4:11:22 PM EDT
I had to buy a North 76008A respirator mask with NIOSH/AM/CD/CL/FM/HC/HF/HS (esc.)/MA/OV/SD/P100 filters for work. I have to go into some chemical laden and animal excrement filled areas and this is what my clients told me I had to have to get access to their facilities.

Will this type of mask also work for most survival type situations or would you recommend something else?

Pic of respirator:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a fair amount of training on similar systems where I work and effectiveness really comes down to the type of filters. It is only rated for the chemicals listed on the cartridges and for defined exposure periods. In our applications (emergency response) it is imperative that the hazard is know and the correct PPE selected. In most unknowns we have to use supplied oxygen instead. You would have to consider what type of threats you are concerned about and their particular chemical makeup to assess the effectiveness of yours. The system as a whole is every bit as good as what may be used by the military but you will need the right cartridges. Whether that is covered by what you have or they make a civilian equivalent version I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had to buy a North 76008A respirator mask with NIOSH/AM/CD/CL/FM/HC/HF/HS (esc.)/MA/OV/SD/P100 filters.

Will this type of mask work for most survival type situations

Yes.  Get some spare filters as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have posted detailed responses on this topic many times over the years but I will give you the executive summary.

Gas masks as a prep item are mostly a placebo. In just about every chemical scenario you can imagine all you need to do is move 150m upwind and you're fine. Without 24/7 monitoring and detection your mask is worthless. Unless you wear it on your hip 24/7 you might as well not have it. Unless you have a suit and are well practiced in decon and gear survey you will still be exposed ot the agent. In a chem/bio event you have 9 SECONDS to don and clear your mask. can you do it?

Now, all that being said... I can identify one reason and one reason only to have a gasmask as a prep item. To shield yourself from the use of CS/CN as an area denial weapon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have posted detailed responses on this topic many times over the years but I will give you the executive summary.

Gas masks as a prep item are mostly a placebo. In just about every chemical scenario you can imagine all you need to do is move 150m upwind and you're fine. Without 24/7 monitoring and detection your mask is worthless. Unless you wear it on your hip 24/7 you might as well not have it. Unless you have a suit and are well practiced in decon and gear survey you will still be exposed ot the agent. In a chem/bio event you have 9 SECONDS to don and clear your mask. can you do it?

Now, all that being said... I can identify one reason and one reason only to have a gasmask as a prep item. To shield yourself from the use of CS/CN as an area denial weapon.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is getting out along the freeways. I can get the mask on in 3-5 seconds as timed at the Chemical Weapons Depot in Utah. Most of the freeways by my home are in bermed areas that are about 150 feet deep.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go looking through the archives for your other posts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top