Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2009 6:43:09 PM EDT
Northern EDIT (Northern TOOL) has a hydraulic log splitter where by the splitting ram is operated by way of a manual cylinder. I've split by hand with a maul, and I've split by gas powered. I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these and specifically, how do you back the cylinder up after splitting the log? Is it worth the trouble and money for this thing?
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used two different types, one where you release a valve (like you would on a hydraulic bottle jack), and manually pull the splitter head back, another that was similar, but had a spring to automatically return the splitter head.

If you're going to be splitting really hard, tough wood, like seasoned oak, it could be useful, although I'm not sure how sturdy and durable a $100 model is going to be.  If you're cutting lighter wood like pine, honey locust, cedar, etc, a maul, and a 5lb splitting wedge and sledgehammer would probably be quicker, and in case of necessity, portable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like some rig up of a Porta-power of some type.  Quality hydraulic equipment would cost too much for this price point, I don't think I'd buy it for $100.

You could possibly pay $100 for a good high pressure hose!  Let alone an entire kit set up as a log splitter
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
No hoses involved in this one. Here's a link. I saw it advertised for 99 in a paper.
Log Splitter
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I would venture is probably PRC-made. I don't trust anything made in the PRC, especially for SHtF scenarios where your life could depend on it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Painfully slow to use.  I guess there are scenarios where you could make good use of it.

ETA: probably NOT more useful than a maul for general purpose splitting up logs...but rather for the occasional really stubborn/huge hunk of wood from near the base of the trunk.  I think you would be doing MORE work trying to process 90% of rounds with this thing vs. a maul.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had one of those.  I threw it away after trying to use it 3 times.  I takes about an entire day to split a cord of wood.  Any you are beat up afterwards

My neighbor has a gas powered log splitter that I use now.  I usually split his and then he lets me bring it over and split mine for free.

I would almost rather split with a maul than the manual hydraulic splitter.

I bought mine from Northern Tool too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Rent one of these.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#9]

That is cool!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I always asked dad to buy a wood splitter.  He would reply "why, I have you."
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Jeez! And I thought a Gas 30 ton with a 4 way on it was fast.  That bobcat setup is awesome.  BUT for 1500-1800 bucks vrs how many thousands for the machine and the splitter. One would have to have a monster operation to justify that
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
'bout 22k for the bobcat mounted splitter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeez! And I thought a Gas 30 ton with a 4 way on it was fast.  That bobcat setup is awesome.  BUT for 1500-1800 bucks vrs how many thousands for the machine and the splitter. One would have to have a monster operation to justify that

Hell, I might have to get into the firewood business just to justify getting one.

Well, if you're looking for a business partener and I get my fair share behind the controls Im in!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Look at The Stickler, but be careful with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember seeing a Red swedish "Axe" That had an L shape head so you swing and pry to split the log, there was a video of them getting about 22 pieces of kindling out of a log in no time (used tires to hold the log) but I lost the link, anyone know what im talking about or am I just crazy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top