Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2009 8:46:44 PM EDT
I was wondering if there are any decent jackets out there that are wind/ rain resistant...  

I'm looking for something to throw in my BOB or just have around.  

I saw the Sportsmans guide Flecktarn Goretex jackets, but don't know if that's any good for this purpose.  I also don't know how the sizes run anyway...  

I have in mind the Arktis stowaway shirt and antartica shirts as midlayers if necessary for different seasons to put on underneath if that would work... yes,  i'm new to this game

sorry about the ridiculous wording

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was wondering if there are any decent jackets out there that are wind/ rain resistant...  

I saw the Sportsmans guide Flecktarn Goretex jackets, but don't know if that's any good for this purpose.  I also don't know how the sizes run anyway...  

I have in mind the Arktis stowaway shirt and antartica shirts as midlayers if necessary for different seasons to put on underneath if that would work... yes,  i'm new to this game

I have a mountain hardwear goretex jacket and I love it, very light, very rugged and it'll keep you dry for a long time
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
i just ordered, errrr well backordered a couple of these... LINK HERE from 5.11 / lapolicegear.com, on close out for <$12 figured i really couldn't go wrong. O.D.ish, three pockets, folds up into one of them, and a few other nice features all while being wind / rain resistant. i'll probably also spray it with campy dry or something similar for additional waterproofing...

K.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Golite makes very good ultralight wind/waterproof shell jackets that weigh virtually nothing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i just ordered, errrr well backordered a couple of these... LINK HERE from 5.11 / lapolicegear.com, on close out for <$12 figured i really couldn't go wrong. O.D.ish, three pockets, folds up into one of them, and a few other nice features all while being wind / rain resistant. i'll probably also spray it with campy dry or something similar for additional waterproofing...

K.

I ordered 2 of those a couple weeks ago. They are very lightweight and I would like to test the water resistance the next time it rains, which might be today. Stuck one of them in my BOB and the other might go in the bag I'm working on for the wife.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
the Marmot Nano just got some good press in backpacker magazine.... I've never wore one myself though

First link I could find, probably not the cheapest
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If you don't mind black, THIS is light as a feather and waterproof.  Not a lot of insulation, but you won't notice the weight in your pack.

And for $10 more, you can get the same THING only in North Face and greenish.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a Golite rain jacket and it works well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

K.

I ordered 2 of those a couple weeks ago. They are very lightweight and I would like to test the water resistance the next time it rains, which might be today. Stuck one of them in my BOB and the other might go in the bag I'm working on for the wife.

Did yours come with the little carry bag? Mine didn't.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

K.

I just ordered one of these a few days ago and haven't received it yet, but this is from the description at the link: "5.11 Tactical Packable Jacket packs into the left pocket of the jacket."

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I checked for that since this seems to be just a rebranded version of the sierra designs jacket that is just like this and folds into it's pocket, maybe I just missed it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a mountain hardwear goretex jacket and I love it, very light, very rugged and it'll keep you dry for a long time

I have one of these to, they are great and compact. I always carry mine in my pack whenever I hit the trail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I have found River West jackets to be most wonderful
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

K.

I just ordered one of these a few days ago and haven't received it yet, but this is from the description at the link: "5.11 Tactical Packable Jacket packs into the left pocket of the jacket."

That sounds like a man eating his own head.  I've seen everything now.z
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I am taking notes. I am always looking for ways to stay dry and warm. Since I am a pretty big guy, I sweat easily. Having a very thin jacket that goes over my poly pros would be plenty for me down to pretty cold temps as long as I am moving. Once I stop I have to put on something warmer. I am planning on keeping my thick coat draped over my pack instead of inside.

I will check out the Golite and the other recommendations later when I have more time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#17]

I've had great luck with the Patagonia Mars jacket (eg.ebay item 280378393992) - waterproof, comfy, color that can blend into the woods or crowd without looking to mil, lightweight.....now, not insulated, but wind resistant, and not as breathable as other storm jackets.

I'd also like to get something along the lines of a m65 married to a carhart to compliment this.

O75
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top