Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2009 1:32:34 PM EDT
Well I figured 10 years (bought them in August 1999) was long enough. They were stored in air tight containers in the basement (65-70deg year round). Upon opening and tasting.... They were as good as the day I packed them away. Crackers were still crispy. Meals were just as tasty.

Decieded to replace them with a mixture of MRE's, Mainstay, and Mountain House. But, sure cant beat MRE's for easy to prepare and store meals.

Anyone else have longer time lines and results?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you have any Twinkies in there?  Always wondered how long their self life real is.

Airtight and cool,,awesome.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple of cases of MRE's from the mid 80's.  None of them have swollen up yet. I just can't bring myself to try one.

I also have a dozen LRRP ration, freeze dried meat patties.  Those are OK

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Those aren't LRRPs,,beef patties and pork patties were the first MREs,as well as chicken loaf,and franks.
Used to trade MREs for LRRPs,to some friends in Coronado
The only LRRPs we could get were chiken stew,chilli con carne,,every no and then  the spegehti,,the best
I loved the beef patties,,made a great chilli,mixed with beans and some procured hot sauce.

I ate alot of those.

What no "maple nut cake" ?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those aren't LRRPs,,beef patties and pork patties were the first MREs,as well as chicken loaf,and franks.
The only LRRPs we could get were chiken stew,chilli con carne,,every no and then  the spegehti,,the best
I loved the beef patties,,made a great chilli,mixed with beans and some procured hot sauce.

I ate alot of those.

You forgot the hashbrowns and ham and chicken loaf (oh god those were nasty).

I also liked the beef and pork patties but many did not.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I just can't bring myself to try one

C'mon, don't be a sissy.
We want to know how they have held up over the years. Take one for the Team...

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I just read a story about a retiring service member who had saved a pound cake ration from the 1960's and he said it was still good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only LRRPs we could get were chicken stew,chilli con carne,,every no and then  the spegehti,,the best

I ate alot of those.

Yhea your right and those great chocolate covered cookies you could never separate,,even with the wax paper in between them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ate alot of those.

and the dried Pears......yum!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
The memories, the memories! Send that stuff my way I'll test it for ya!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ate alot of those.

I found the best way to re-hydrate the pork or beef patty was to crumble them into a cup of ramen noodles.  

That pineapple nut cake was good!  Do your MRE's have the clear/white plastic short spoon or the long brown spoon?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a couple of cases of MRE's from the mid 80's.  None of them have swollen up yet. I just can't bring myself to try one.

I also have a dozen LRRP ration, freeze dried meat patties.  Those are OK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/SniperBait/MRE006.jpg

Were you a lurp?
...tip of the hat
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are "using up" old MRE's at home, the entrees are better if you add a little water, and heat them in a microwave.

There was a recent order to "don't consume the dairy shake."
Something about salmonella contamination in some 2008-2009 lots.

See http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/07/army_dairyshakes_070109w/

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a couple cases packed on 1/81 that I have tried a few times. The entreees are typically fine, as is the fruit. The cheese is way too gone, I think it reacted with the foil over time. The crackers are edible, but just barely. The candy bars and cookies aren't that good, but I doubt they were fresh either.

I just tore one of the cases down and threw away most of the stuff I didn't want, just keeping the better entrees, crackers, PB and jelly, dried fruit, etc.

The accesory packets are nice to throw in the car, you have a waterproof way to keep matches, tp, some instant coffee, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Same exact timeline here.  I wasn't a "food storage guy" until Y2K.  Mine have been stored in a closet in a temperature controlled part of the house.

Black bean burrito MRE and beef srew MRE were dang good.  I was going to discard of mine next year but I guess I'll just keep them and rotate in some more.

Dittos on the dehydrated and Mountain House (#10 cans, all) but remember the water.  They're worse than useless without water.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just read a story about a retiring service member who had saved a pound cake ration from the 1960's and he said it was still good.

That'd have been 'C' rations & yeah, those WERE damn good!

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Pound Cake –

You guys talking about that dark brown bread with nuts and stuff. Oh yea that was my favorite too. Traded for it all the time.

The worst ‘C Rat’ was the spaghetti. It was hideous cold – gloppy crap that made me want to spill before you got to the bottom of the can.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pound Cake –

You guys talking about that dark brown bread with nuts and stuff. Oh yea that was my favorite too. Traded for it all the time.

The worst ‘C Rat’ was the spaghetti. It was hideous cold – gloppy crap that made me want to spill before you got to the bottom of the can.

Naw, I gotta believe the worst was frozen ham & lima beans  pried out of the can with your bayonet........everything separated.........guess it was ok if you had a taste for greasy ice tho!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top