Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2009 10:21:12 PM EDT
I'm Lactose intolerant and not like oh I ate cheese and got the farts. More like vicious stomach cramps .. sitting for extended periods of time in my "office" reading magazines ect.

Is there anywhere which allows you to choose your MRE meal packets to make up cases ect? I'm guessing NOT huh
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
http://theepicenter.com/cgi/order.cgi?page=mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html&cart_id=%%cart_id%%

Dunno if they're the cheapest, these days.  Just google "MRE entrees".  Make sure you buy some heaters, too, because they obviously aren't included in standalone entrees.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I'll search around more....... for MRE by the case that U can pick entree
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll find that the full cases aren't that great, anyway.  Ultimately, you strip the things down to an entree, a snack, and a shake, to save weight.  Actually, the shakes are where all the calories are.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Badlatitude: Why don't you just go down to the local supermarket and buy shelf stable stuff that you like to eat, that way you can get what you want, way cheaper than in an MRE. Busting down an MRE just get what you want and tossing the rest is kind of waste, since you paid for it already with your hard earned money. Today you can get individual serving spaghetti, BBQ beans, etc etc. At a price that is really good when you get them on sale. The down side of supermarket food is that there is a metal can that you must dispose of. The MRE aluminized plastic bag you can just burn, and you get only a few wisps of metal left, and you can't airdrop that stuff. Conversely, the metal cans are vermin proof because rats and mice, ants etc can gnaw through the aluminized plastic bags in MREs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody have a Country Captain's Chicken they wanna trade?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably the closest you will get is these people.

Either buy the individual components, or buy a case and sell/trade the meals you do not want.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool Ill look into theese options.

You right about the price of MRE ect. I wanted some to throw into the emergency box and a bob.

Im going to look at back packing food atleast everything can be seperate but then the problem is carrying more water its a catch 22
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Probably the closest you will get is these people.

Either buy the individual components, or buy a case and sell/trade the meals you do not want.

ty    I can order some singles to test on the ole stomach and they sell cases

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It's worth noting that Chef Boyardee is a terrific source of calories in temperature controlled environments.  Ought to be just fine in a closet in CT.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Stock up on Lactaid and take one when you're eating diary.  It's how i deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The squad trays from Long Life Food are nice as well, but you have to be careful about how many people you are planning to feed as they are rather large.
If you only have a couple of people, you will need to refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
Their prices are not bad when you consider they include shipping.

I usually order a case of this or that and add a few singles of something to try.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I need to take 6 lactiad pills to eat pizza...... That wasnt the real point tho. NOT getting stuff to make you possibly sick in an emergency sitaution is 10x better then rolling the dice on somthing un tried no?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I need to take 6 lactiad pills to eat pizza...... That wasnt the real point tho. NOT getting stuff to make you possibly sick in an emergency sitaution is 10x better then rolling the dice on somthing un tried no?

Personally, I think you are wise to 'try' before you 'stock up'.
In an emergency, it would be one less thing to worry about.

Stocking some pills would probably be a good idea (you may have already done this), however, I don't know the shelf life of such pills.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#15]
1 year seems to be about the norm for them. I go thru them si fast tho and they arent cheap. Mostly I try to avoid dairy but certain things I just cant give up lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link

Make them yourself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Link

Make them yourself.

Raman noodles are not exactly "ready to eat".

The basic idea is pretty good though.

Personally, I don't understand the attraction to MREs. The entrées in them are basically the same as you could get out of a can. The packaging might be a little more convenient. There is a whole lot more variety in cans. The weight is not significantly different. And neither is the storage life.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm guessing I'd agree.  'Bout half of the people kicking around on this planet are lactose intolerant.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm guessing I'd agree.  'Bout half of the people kicking around on this planet are lactose intolerant.

I am not lactose intolerant, however as I get older, I find myself becoming dumbass intolerant.

I wish there was a pill for that....

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not lactose intolerant, however as I get older, I find myself becoming dumbass intolerant.

I wish there was a pill for that....

Could be worse....I often become a dumbass.

In my "extremely short term emergency rations" (kept in the trunk for blizzards) I have some foil packed tuna, again leaving only the "wisp" to dispose of.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Ramen noodles have a shit load of chemicals in them just like most of the pre packaged crap. If I eat them I could crap thru a screen door and not hit wire. Aside from lactose intolerance im blessed with IBS. thats why I test eat everything at home prior to needing somthing. I've eaten more then a few MRE some of it wipes me out others are fine. I swear id give my left hand to have an iron stomach and digestive system. If I have to work and 12 or a 14 and we are on some non stop emergency type work I wount even eat for a day or 2 untill its done for the fear I could get sick on a moments notice and not pull my share. Its horrible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ramen noodles have a shit load of chemicals in them just like most of the pre packaged crap. If I eat them I could crap thru a screen door and not hit wire. Aside from lactose intolerance im blessed with IBS. thats why I test eat everything at home prior to needing somthing. I've eaten more then a few MRE some of it wipes me out others are fine. I swear id give my left hand to have an iron stomach and digestive system. If I have to work and 12 or a 14 and we are on some non stop emergency type work I wount even eat for a day or 2 untill its done for the fear I could get sick on a moments notice and not pull my share. Its horrible.

Yup, same combination of problems here...not fun at all. My wife (who has an iron stomach) always wonders why I don't eat if we're due to go out somewhere, even though she's known me to spend most of the evening in the bathroom after a "mistake". People who don't have this combo, can't understand how GREAT it would be to eat and not have to worry about it...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#23]
The biggest problem I have with Laura is going out to dinner. Shes always on my ass about going out to lunch or dinner and she just doesnt get why I go to a select few places close to home. Then Again I guess shes never had to almost lock up her brakes pull over and run into the woods with out a second to spair
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#25]
All too true.  Ill talk to her at lunch and tell her my stomach is tore up. Then she will come home after work carrying an extra large sausage and onion pizza and not know why im giving her a dirty look

PS baby wipes are Gods gift to mankind for sure!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd give Jenn at www.mygotimegear.com a call or shoot her a quick e-mail.

They're very friendly and willing to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top