Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2008 7:14:32 PM EDT

I'm looking at these boots:
www.botachtactical.com/blwaweblopsb.html

I'm looking at this knife:
www.botachtactical.com/gelmfiiinkn.html

I need SHTF type gear. I think these boots and this knife are a good start. Any better ideas?

Brent
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 2:39:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I suggest you buy boots locally, so you can try them on.  Find a pair that is comfortable, and go from there.

As for the knife, what do you need?
That knife is fine, but I suggest something simple, like a non serrated Ka-Bar
personal choice tho, and you will buy more than one looking for the one that works for you

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you do, do not buy a pair of boots and set them aside as SHTF boots. Wear them and break them in thoroughly... an emergency situation is not the time to be breaking in new boots. Or breaking your feet into new boots, depending on how you want to look at it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought some boots a while back and if I had not found a local store that had a bunch of stuff in stock I would have sent back 3 or more pairs of boots trying to get the fit correct.

Measurements vary even when dealing with the same manufacturer, this happens mostly when changing the style of boot a lot.

Now that I know what size I like I plan to order my next pair on the net so I can have 2 pair of boots.

It is not the cheapest way to do it, but I appreciate the local store having stuff in stock.

I just don't appreciate the mark up the local store has on their stuff.

I am not the sort of person who would find a local store and get the size figured out and then order my first pair over the net.  That local store does provide me a service and while it costs a little bit going this route I am very comfortable dealing with that store when I do things this way.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in the mindset of boots as well, but after doing some real hiking and realizing the weight is everything i settled on Merrell

Waterproof/goretex and lite...
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whatever you do, do not buy a pair of boots and set them aside as SHTF boots. Wear them and break them in thoroughly... an emergency situation is not the time to be breaking in new boots. Or breaking your feet into new boots, depending on how you want to look at it.

+1000

The last thing you want to do is break in some boot in an emergency. I would strap those boots on day one and get to walking.

Now for me, those boots look a little heavy for my taste. I've done enough walking in my life to appericate light foot wear.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Botach's price on some Beretta boots was great, but how they sent them which was in the flimsy boot box with a piece of old style paper packaging tape which didn't stay for a damn, ...was not.
I recommend looking into other sources. I've done lots of business with USCav over the years, in the military and now out and always had good dealings with them. There not the cheapest at times, but can have good prices. What they do have is customer service though and are realiable.

USCav

Now which boots are best for you depends on where you are too. Like up north or down south. If the tropics or desert area or in the deep pine woods or freezing cold.
The current military trend is desert browns in suede, but for us cilivians where needing to blend in with other civilians comes into play, good old black leather is the best choice to me. I've got quite a bit of good boots from Altama's to Corcoran's to Matterhorn's and all of them are quality boots.
Stick to the standards and you'll be good.

USCav Footwear

Almost forgot, not that USCav doesn't have some good knives, but KnifeCenter.com is one of the best online knife dealers there is and I've done nothing but good business with them too.

KnifeCenter.com

A good basic choice,
Tak 1

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Good prices on the Gerber LMK II and it's little brother, the Prodigy:

LMF II at LA Police Gear

Prodigy

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was in the mindset of boots as well, but after doing some real hiking and realizing the weight is everything i settled on Merrell

Waterproof/goretex and lite...

and VERY comfortable. I love mine. They wear out fast, however. and are not near supportive or sturdy enough for even moderate terrain. excellent street / trail shoes... and insanely comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#9]
i've got both the items you listed...

I couldn't stand the boots though...... i don't know why so don't ask... I just did not like them... they wore.....funny... but YMMV....

the knife is great. i'll buy another as soon as i can find one for a good deal....

Look at Bates M9 dessert assault boots or Converse 9" dessert tactical boots.

I've got both and love them. they are very light weight. and the converse almost feel like a pair of very supportive sneakers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]

You didn't say what type of terrain you will be walking on, but if you're doing anything on technical terrain these Meindl boots are the shit.  I do fine with the uninsulated versions down to 0 with a good sock.

Meindl Boots
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the links guys. I like the options.

To specify further: I'm wanting a lite, waterproof boot that isn't overly hot during 90 degree summers and will hold up to just about any wear and most terrains.

I like the Cabela's "Perfekt" boots. Bit pricey though. Was thinking more in the $100-150 area.

I've pretty much decided on the Gerber LMF II Infantry knife.

Brent
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a pair of goretex Belleville duty boots that I've had for about a year now I really like. Good wearing sole.
For that knife style I've got a RAT-7 that's been really tough.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#13]
No to both.

Look at Danner boots.

I'd get a multi tool way before I'd get a big knife.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Danner boots.  I prefer the 8" uninsulated Rainforests, but that's me.

As for an online place to buy 'em, check out Zappos;  their pricing is at or below most places, and they offer free 2-way shipping so if they don't fit you can exchange 'em at no extra cost.  One other thing, they ship in something like 15 minutes.  I've ordered shows on a Teusday night and they've arrived Wednesday afternoon.  DO NOT pay for expedited shipping, they bump it up for free without telling you.

Can't say enough good things about their service.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the links guys. I like the options.

To specify further: I'm wanting a lite, waterproof boot that isn't overly hot during 90 degree summers and will hold up to just about any wear and most terrains.

I like the Cabela's "Perfekt" boots. Bit pricey though. Was thinking more in the $100-150 area.

I've pretty much decided on the Gerber LMF II Infantry knife.

Brent

See this is where the problem lies. There is no perfect boot. The most durable to hold up to just about any wear tend to be some of the heaviest and waterproof boots aren't necessarily the coolest in hot weather either.
Your going to have to compromise just like millions of Joe's have.
I love the lightweight modern boots, but haven't found a pair yet I'd rather rely on if I had to choose a boot that I could be stuck with alone for a while to deal with cold and hot weather, dry or wet.
Even the Gortex lined boots get soaked too if your get in water above top and that's not hard to do. They also take forever to dry out.

Honestly if the shit hits the fan I'm going to be putting on either my Matterhorm insulated if it's really cold out or my Altama Jungle boots if it's hot. There both durable as hell and still do the job well.
With the Jungles when you walk through water they drain and actually dry out pretty fast. The best way to set yourself up for different temps and getting wet is by carrying different socks for different situations and spares to change out to.
A couple sets of cold weather socks and a couple sets of warm weather socks can take you far.

The modern Jungle boot is still one of the best all around choices I feel.
Altama 3 layer Jungle boot

For the knife the LMF's not completely a bad choice, but there is better. Quality steel and a micarta or G10 handle is the basics to me.
My favorite shtf knife for almost everything except chopping and prying is my Benchmade Nimravus.
I'd prefer it to just about everything else if it came down to having just one.
Benchmade Nimravus
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top