Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 8:05:41 PM EDT
The " what a BOV should be thread " got me thinking.  One guy is bugging out in Florida, and mentioned that if you don't get the information first, you will be stuck in a large traffic jam.  

Well, is there a market or desire for a one vehicle barge/pontoon boat that a vehicle (or vehicle with trailer) can be driven onto and then just power your way up a waterway or along the coast to a safer place??  Load or unload at any boat ramp or suitable beach....  

Haven't run through the numbers on how big it would have to be, just a thought

Your thoughts??

WDS
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny me and Halffast were talking about something similar the other day.

Quad + 14 ft flatbottom ftw....
We have to use this method to cross a creek thats up sometimes to get to family property.

not what i'd use to cross the gulf but it will work for creeks or rivers fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty screwed if I have to bug out... only ways out of town are plane or boat. I guess a boat would be a good idea to get to the smaller surrounding communities around here...

but even then I live in a remote location with a population of only 2,500 which can be a really good or bad thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm pretty screwed if I have to bug out... only ways out of town are plane or boat. I guess a boat would be a good idea to get to the smaller surrounding communities around here...

but even then I live in a remote location with a population of only 2,500 which can be a really good or bad thing.

You know, if I lived in a small, remote, isolated community like that I think my preparations would focus on:
1.  Talking to my neighbors about being prepared so more are.
2.  Preparing for forced isolation.   Odds are any major SHTF event will occur outside your community so keeping outsiders out seems a much more likely scenario than an evacuation without normal ferries/planes.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Something like this seems like it might work. Obviously a smaller one would be better for an ATV as it would be lighter (thus making it easier for an ATV to pull). You'd have to watch the weight of what you were bugging out with pretty close and you'd have to figure a way to load and unload the atv but it could be done.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I have/had a 36 foot world crusing motor sailer sail boat. Plenty big for extended live aboard. Thats my BOB. Anything else and Im sitting tight and safe at home.... It all depends on where your at.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It worked for the Highlander...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I think a barge would be a big target that moves way too slow. just my .02
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd have a few concerns.

First off, I think this is a terrible Idea for anyone living in hurricane country.  Most of your bugouts would need to be by land.

Second, that boat needs to be left somewhere.  They aren't just going to let you leave it on the boat ramp somewhere, unless order has broken down there, also.  And they'll figure out who left it there eventually.  So you'd not only need to bring the boat, but the boat trailer.

I think you can have a bug-out boat, or a bug-out car.  But I'm not sold on the bug-out barge.

Of course, the only river around here that isn't easily fordable is the Colorado, and that's a ways away, so I don't have the same thoughts here...
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It worked for the Highlander...

I liked that series

Big Edit

You know I was rethinking the barge/party boat idea

Most likely problem is Tornado/Hurricane (small) that knocks out power or services for a short time. Barge would but good in my opinion since most people don’t have boats so you can sit out there and fish, cook, drink, fish, swim etc. Most people trying to come close with 5-8 people in one boat or several boats with groups of people can raise attention in a hurry. Spotlight and a few well chosen deterrent reminders should make them look for easier pickings. Path of least resistance does work. I am in Texas so even in winter not really cold enough for real problems with a small amount of preps. This could even be a BO Vehicle just in case.
Yes I like to fish BTW

Long term Zombie thing not so sure since you would be bound to pick up some stray rounds just because that’s all they could do. Plus if you went to shore you could be watch since I don’t know of many lakes with a supermarket next to them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
First off, I think this is a terrible Idea for anyone living in hurricane country.  Most of your bugouts would need to be by land.

Not necessarily. Depends on what you were bugging out from. Not everything is a hurricane.

FWIW, I've also had to take boats away from a hurricane more than once. Not my idea of the most fun activity, but it's doable if you leave early enough and pay attention.

Second, that boat needs to be left somewhere.  They aren't just going to let you leave it on the boat ramp somewhere, unless order has broken down there, also.

This again depends on what you're bugging out from. If I decide I need to transition from the barge to the vehicle that it's carrying, then they can keep the barge.

Of course, the only river around here that isn't easily fordable is the Colorado, and that's a ways away, so I don't have the same thoughts here...

And this is completely understood. But in FL, we are surrounded by water, and the state is criss-crossed by easily navigable rivers. In some cases it might make plenty of sense to have a water going craft in your toolbag. Even one large enough to move a small car.

Also, for general info, Carolina Skiff loves touting that their larger model boats can float a half-ton pickup.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, is there a market or desire for a one vehicle barge/pontoon boat that a vehicle (or vehicle with trailer) can be driven onto and then just power your way up a waterway or along the coast to a safer place??  Load or unload at any boat ramp or suitable beach....  

Haven't run through the numbers on how big it would have to be, just a thought

Your thoughts??

WDS

Do you mean something like this?

Pith Pontoons

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, is there a mar........

............................. to be, just a thought

Your thoughts??

WDS

Do you mean something like this?

web.mawebcenters.com/pithpontoonkits/images/Tractor.gif

Pith Pontoons

Accountant

Yup, same concept, but could be custom designed depending on vehicle and waterway.  As I was thinking it through, I also considered making it semi-collapsible so that after you drove off of it, it could fold or reconfigure into a trailer of some type.....

Just brainstorming.....

WDS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top