Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2008 7:17:51 AM EDT
Simple question:

What is the best hydration bladder insert out there.  My new pack has the provision for a bladder, so I want to get one that will hold up for a while.  Whose is the best bang for the buck?

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Camelbak is probably the most well known and they seem to be good.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Camelbak bladders.  The Nalgene bladder is a piece a crap.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
either c-bak or platypus,imho the platys do better , but have shitty bite valves.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
After trying a bunch of them, I've settled on MSR's fabric bladders.  Maybe my expectations are too high, or maybe I'm just too rough on gear, but I want something that will last a few years before it starts to leak.  The MSR bladders are a little heavier/more expensive, but way more durable, IMO.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
CamelBak are the basis that most were started from, they do it well and have a good variety of acesories. I fill mine daily and take it to work, or out to play. either way its always full and with me and has been so for a while. Heck CamelBak's are issued to US troops too. I got mine for dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If you haven't used a hydration bladder before, get a cheap one from Wal-Mart and try it out on a hike for a bit.  It takes a bit of work to keep properly hydrated with them.  You think you are drinking a lot because you are taking sips from the bite valve, but it usually isn't all that much.

I take both my hydration bladder and a qt. Nalgene bottle on hikes.  I'll drink from the bladder while I'm moving, but will drink at least half the canteen on breaks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
with the exception of a cheap ass one that was in some combo deal i bought from sportsman guide every other one i've used has worked well........ Camel back , nalgen, platypus, msr , and a old green one from walmart
I prefer the camelback bite valve/cover on/off valve quick disconect setup though when it comes to features.......
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
with the exception of a cheap ass one that was in some combo deal i bought from sportsman guide every other one i've used has worked well........ Camel back , nalgen, platypus, msr , and a old green one from walmart
I prefer the camelback bite valve/cover on/off valve quick disconect setup though when it comes to features.......

But the CB bite valves don't hold up well against ITP Mud Lites, do they?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

U gotta test your gear
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

U gotta test your gear

Test, not torture!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like the Platypus BigZip model. The open ended design allows for easy cleaning and drying without any goofball drying rack. You can also detach the drinking hose without spilling water all over.

-REad
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys!

I'll give the Camelback insert a shot.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I like Camelbak bladders.  The Nalgene bladder is a piece a crap.

I have a nalgene carrier that I love, for non-tactical means anyways.
but, it has a nalgene bladder in it,  it sucks,  I'm gonna try to find another bladder to fit the carrier.
It's slightly better than the camelback bladders that have the large mouth, you can open it easier, but its nothing compared to the camelback small mouth bladders.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 I have a platypus and it has worked well for me

Quoted:
either c-bak or platypus,imho the platys do better , but have shitty bite valves.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Simple question:

What is the best hydration bladder insert out there.  My new pack has the provision for a bladder, so I want to get one that will hold up for a while.  Whose is the best bang for the buck?

These might be 2 different questions (best and best bang/buck).  My $.02, if you want the best, get an MSR.  Best bang/buck may be a platy.  My bag has an MSR in it after I tried a platy and CamelBak.  Not cheap, though.  YMMV.

-Slice
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Simple question:

This ought to be a pretty good bang for your buck, 57plymouth...

cgi.ebay.com/New-Camelbak-Long-Neck-100oz-Replacement-Bladder-w-Tube_W0QQitemZ140223645292QQihZ004QQcategoryZ36071QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1  amen to the piss poor bite valves
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]
While I prefer a bladder with quick disconnect hose for ease of routing through my Camelback when I ride mountain bikes, I can certainly understand a non-Q/D hose for survival usage.  

Avoid this model of Camelback bladder.  It's a bitch to unscrew because you have no leverage on the lid.  Someone wasn't smoking enough when they designed it...
The bite valve works nicely, but the 90 degree angled valves can come off if you snag it in brush.  A zip tie fixes that potential issue....or just get the straight valve....easier to route and doesn't snag.

I store mine in the freezer to prevent bacteria growth...much more convenient to coil up the hose and toss the bladder in there than to clean it religiously.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I started using these after I became a dealer for Eberlestock and WOW...

http://www.eberlestock.com/Backpack%20Accessories.htm#WXP3L

They are far better than the camelback ones I have used and I think they are as nice as the MSR I have.

The drink valve is nice (not the bite valve).

Opens for cleaning.  

Seriously awesome.  They come in 100oz and 70oz versions.  I wish I had found them sooner so I didn't have to waste money on the other stuff.

Semper Fidelis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top