Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2008 11:38:26 PM EDT
I can't have my cake and eat it, but I'd like to get close!

I live in Texas, and want a pad for BoB/camping.  I've slept on enough rocks...comfort is important to me.

I also wouldn't mind using two pads.  I'd leave one on the BoB, but double up on the pads for when I go camping.

Lightweight and low cost are secondary concerns, but I'm open to options.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
therma rest
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#2]
As protus said thermarest is a great choice. Their inflatables can be a bit bulky but work great. A cheaper one might be a USGI unit but I can tell you from having slept on them off and on for the last 8 years they dont work as well as the foam thermarest I bought. Get a USGI one to toss in the BOB and use it camping under something better to keep abrasions and cuts off the "nice" pad.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:37:54 AM EDT
[#3]
USGI for BOB then add a thermarest for camping.

USGI is nice because of color, durablity, and price.  You can take a razor to one to cut it down to fit your BOB better with shedding a tear.  PLus, closed cell foam has other uses such as field expedient splint.

But there are a ton of pad options.

Ridgerest pads are nice, and the Exped mats are super nice from what I have read.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya, I use a USGI pad for camping, but I'm 28 so, its good enough for me

Speed
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a Ridge Rest Deluxe and it has worked for the past couple of years.  The deluxe is just a fraction softer and more insulation.  

I had a Ridge Rest for decade or so but eventualy cut it up to make camp seats for the family.  I was never able to destroy it, and it out lived the inflatable Thermarest that I purchased to go on top of it for winter packing by about 3 or 4 years.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a large Alps Mountaneering pad that's pretty comfy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a thermarest zrest (folding closed cell foam) that I use most of the time.  I almost always double that up with another CCF pad or I'll use a 3/4 length inflatable thermarest, but it doesn't seem to hold air all that well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thermarest is the original, and in my opinion still the best.  They make all kinds of thicknesses.  If you are backpacking the thicker ones get heavy pretty quick.  If you look at Cabelas, they sell the thermarest, and then they sell their brand which is almost identical in specs, but around $20 cheaper- I am pretty sure they are made by thermarest, as they use the same keywords in their descriptions. This is the one I would look at for a good balance of weight vs warmth/comfort.  Here is the corresponding thermarest version.  I would get the 72x20, because if you get the shorter one you will find that your feet are always cold (ask me how I know ).  You also might check out Sierra Trading Post, or Campmor to see if they have any on sale.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a shitty military one that leaks the air out. I am about to buy a therm-a-rest z-lite full size. Just don't like the orange color.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
therma rest

what he said
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
therma rest

what he said

What they said.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Big Agnes, hard to blow up but really comfy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Big agnes insulated air core pad.  It isn't any fun blowing them up but the sleep you will get will be worth it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
The Luna Pad from Nunatak is a bit $pendy for a closed cell foam pad, but it is 100% EVA (the best foam), generously sized and--because of the egg-crate design--very comfortable for a closed cell pad.

If you go with an inflatable pad, don't forget the repair kit.

ETA +1 on the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core.  I use one of those a lot, too.  VERY comfy.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I've gone back to foam...I sleep better on them than I do on a thermarest....I want to try a hammock...but don't get me started on hammocks.com
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have gone thru more thermarest then I can count on both hands. I have gone back to the USGI I want to try a ridgerest
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Big agnes insulated air core pad.  It isn't any fun blowing them up but the sleep you will get will be worth it.

+1

Lightweight and super comfortable--especially if you're a side sleeper.  I use mine backpacking, car camping, summer, winter, etc.  I also have a Thermarest ProLite 4 which is nice, but not a cushy as the BA insualted air core pad (really an insulated air mattress rather than a "pad").
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have a thermarest zrest (folding closed cell foam) that I use most of the time.  I almost always double that up with another CCF pad or I'll use a 3/4 length inflatable thermarest, but it doesn't seem to hold air all that well.

this would/should be the ideal combo.. of lightweight supportive pads
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Big Agnes blows away Thermarest. Much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]

I bought one of these www.rei.com/product/708520 a few yrs ago because everyone seems to like them. Don't get me wrong it's better than nothing but comfortable isn't a word i'd use to describe it maybee i'm getting soft in my old age

I still say you try one of these bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?bid=3 and it'll be hard to use anything else.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for the recommendations everyone!

I have decided to get a Big Agnes, but there are a couple of similar models and I'm unsure which to choose.

normal 70D nylone version

new polyurethane version

Is the new polyurethane version supposed to be more durable than the 70D nylon? It does cost a little less.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd get one of these or one of these.  Insulation is worth the additional weight and cost, IMO.  I'd stick with nylon, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'd get one of these or one of these.  Insulation is worth the additional weight and cost, IMO.  I'd stick with nylon, but YMMV.

Mine is the 0* one and it packs smaller than my REI or my Thermarest.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
therma rest

what he said

What they said.

What they didn't say to get and carry the patch kit too.  I have never needed to patch mine, but this is SF, and I do have the patches (and bet the glue is dried up now I type this).

Depending on the application, the chairs that turn an inflatable into seat with backrest are good kit too.  Particularly winter or snow camping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top