Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 11:20:21 PM EDT
Seems like the least cool thing...

I need to get some thermal underwear, not just for "survival," but for things as simple as going shooting in the winter.

I've never had any and have no idea what to look for.

Should I just go over to Wal-Mart and pick some up, or should I be considering "things."
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Polypropylene in a weight that works for you.

Personally, I like really thick (heavy weight, warm) bottoms and a thinner, mock turtle neck top with a zipper in the neck.  It is much easier to layer on top.  If you are hot, take off a top layer.  If you are cold, add a top layer.  Either way, your legs stay warm.  You can even sit down on snow with heavy weight bottoms and stay warm (assuming your pants are water proof: Gore Tex, etc).  

For me, wool is a distant second place.

Cotton has no place in thermal underwear.

P.S. - get polypropylene socks, too.  Two layers - sock liners and insulation socks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Best stuff in the world is made by Patagonia...and it's called Capilene...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Best stuff in the world is made by Patagonia...and it's called Capilene...

I have a pair and they work great, the silk long johns I have are the same price but the Patagonia are just as good and washing the Patagonia is easier than the silk LJ's.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
What about Carhart insulated coveralls.  Just peal them off when your done shooting.  I like the ones with suspenders, sleeveless.  Just an alternative.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Just wanted to second the motion on the polyproplyene. I have used it for years and was issued some in the Air Force. Works really well as a base layer, also the newer fleece lined polyprop is great. Bought two full sets last year at a chain outfit on clearance. Best to let it air dry after washing, gotta be careful when drying it in a regular dryer, shrinks a lot if over done. I have given a couple sets to the younguns as I was careless. Usually not too expensive either.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Patagonia Capilene is the cream of the crop but it is IMO, too expensive for what you get.  You are paying for the Patagonia name, nothing more.

REI has polypropylene fleece garments that are every bit as good and less expensive.  If Walmart is even cheaper, buy there.

I like to wear an "expedition weight" bottom (even the fleece pants with pockets).  Over this I wear Goretex pants which are waterproof and totally windproof.  I have two - one is pants length, the other is a bib.  I prefer the bib as it comes up higher in the front to protect against wind and goes up higher in the rear to keep the cold out when your jacket rides up in the back.

What wrong with coveralls is you cannot adjust the layers.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the brown military weight stuff.  Works very well.

do watch the laundering though.  My first set was degraded by a trip in the dryer on low.  It didn't shrink but the material was affected and it is less warm and isn't as elastic as it once was.  What the hell they issued the set to me in the early 90's.  Owes me nothing.

Another thing I like to have around is the over white camo's with the old style button in liners.  The asbestos was warmer than the newer quilted liner.  I have the quilted.  The new bear suit stuff came out after my time with uncle sam but I'm sure it's an improvement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top