Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 4:35:06 PM EDT
I really, really want to buy an extra large sleeping bag that is constructed like a wind breaker. Something light weight inside that breathes well, with an outside layer that is sil nylon for its light weight. I really don't want more that the equivalent of a light blanket on the inside. The core could be some sort of wool like material that would let moisture out.

I am a big dude so it needs to be 7ft. deep with an extra 1' bigger around than a regular large bag.

I also create alot of heat so thickness is almost irrelevant.

Please let me know what you think. I will make the damn thing if I have to. I would like it to be very light weight as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a poncho liner and sew a piece of  silnylon  the same size to it to make a sleeping bag.

Just an idea. It would be big.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Take a poncho liner and sew a piece of  silnylon  the same size to it to make a sleeping bag.

Just an idea. It would be big.  

ive done the same here with a light fleece covered by ripstop, but i ts 1/2 sized to fit from armpits to ankles...

SG used to sell a light weight sleeping bag 1.5lbs... the rectangle one fits me fine at 5'11 and wide shoulders...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I will have to get out my poncho liner and see how light and big it is. I would not be opposed to sewing up my own super light bag. I just need to understand what it needs inside of it.

What is the best material for the inside?
Where can I buy sil nylon material?
What would be a good water resistant insulation layer that will repell moisture?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
www.snugpakusa.com/detalle.php?id=27

weight is about a pound and a half....packs down very small....I love it
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My only problem is I don't fit in a regular large sized bag. My chest is 55" around and fills most bags completely with no room for my large arms.

They don't give any internal dimensions so I don't know it I would fit. I would buy it in a heart beat if I knew that I would fit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:25:26 AM EDT
[#7]

http://www.kifaru.net/regu_combo.htm

http://www.kifaru.net/woobie.htm

The first link is the Kifaru sleeping bag which comes apart to make a jacket. The second is the woobie, their version of a poncho liner. Much larger, and tougher than a .mil poncho liner. Plus it has a built in stuff sack.

I have a lot of their products. They are somewhat pricey, but top quality.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My only problem is I don't fit in a regular large sized bag. My chest is 55" around and fills most bags completely with no room for my large arms.

They don't give any internal dimensions so I don't know it I would fit. I would buy it in a heart beat if I knew that I would fit.

look for a bag that is 34+ inchs at shoulder ,,it'll fit ya i had the same issue.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=129749

i go t this bagin OD it fits me... the mummuy is to tight  atthe arms and short... mine are OD and woodland digi
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Batmanacw, I did a little research for you.  The Softie 3 is 58" across and 83" long.  They offer and expander panel that zips into the UK made bags and offers and additional 50cm which is just shy of 20".  If all of these measurements are correct it would give you about a 78" wide bag and just about 6' 9" long which is pretty close to what you want.  I personnaly do not own any of their bags but have pants and 2 jackets.  I like them because of their very light wieght, small pack size and pretty good warmth and wind blocking protection.  I first found out about them when I was traing with Brit Royal Marines and they weren't complaining about getting cold and everyone in my plt was freezing.  I hope this helps.  Also if any of their products say "Elite" in the description or in the name they are NOT MADE IN THE UK but somewhere in asia.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks alot for the info. I haven't had time to go thru the website yet. I will go in there when I have a little more time and maybe order one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a North Face  Blue Kazoo.    Down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top