Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2007 6:21:13 PM EDT
At work, we have a system that "single uses" CR2 batteries for a few seconds, then we are done.  Sooo... they make their way home with me and a buddy.  We get 4 at a time, and this happens a few times a month.  Me taking the batteries home that i do not have a use for yet, kind of shows you how much of a cheap ass pack rat I am.  So my question to the hive mind is... anyone have experience with these little batteries.  I have seen a few lights online that use them but they were stupid expensive, and as always it's good to hear from y'all and what you have in the cool gear department.

Thanks,

jim

Edited because i am was in public school...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
this light isnt to bad but any chance you know someone that has a way to machine out an aluminum tube to make your own light?
www.cellphone-store.com/vortex-vision-kc1-luxeon-led-flashlight-black-anodized-aluminum-cr2-battery-1-watt.html
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
quality costs money.

your saving a lot of money on batteries, so spend 40-50 bucks and get the good/better flashlights.

surfire G2 are the best bang for the buck in "standard" light.

not sure about the LED models though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Candlepower Forums: Best CR2 Light?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
CR2s are about 1.5mm smaller in diameter and 7mm shorter than CR123s. You may be able to purchase or fabricate an adapter that would let you use them in a CR123 light. It seems that it would not be difficult to wrap electrical tape around the middle of a CR2 to bring the diameter up to ~17mm and then use something like a 3/8" piece of polished aluminum 7mm long (or 14mm long for a 2x CR123 light) and wrapped with electrical tape around its circumference to insulate and center it in the light's bore. (You'd want to be very careful not to short these batteries-- there's a pretty good amount of energy in one.  

You can look at the technical specs for each battery (including dimensions) here at Sanyo's website. CR2s are 850mAH batteries as opposed to the 1400mAH that a CR123 puts out, so you'll get less burn time from a CR2. The CR2s are also only rated for a continuous 1000mA current draw whereas CR123s are rated at 1500mA. Plenty of LED-based lights can draw 1000mA or more, and I'm pretty sure the brighter incandescent lights like Surefires run more than that, too. (Flashlight gurus correct me on this if I'm wrong.)

As an aside, Nikon makes a CR2 adapter that allows you to use three CR2s in place of the standard EN-EL3 and EN-EL3A Li-Ion batteries in the D70 and D70S cameras, so if you happen to have one of these cameras you can also use them in it. The adapter shipped with the D70 but not with the D70S.

ETA: In the thread linked by Skibane above there's a link provided to this CR2 light at DealExtreme. I haven't used this light, but I did buy a pair of cheap 1x AA Cree lights from them. Mine are a bit rough so far as fit and finish goes, but they work fine and were a great deal.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
incidentally, i bought a one CR2 cell LED light that clips onto my hat made by Gerber for $17 at sportsmans warehouse.  It's good and bright, and will serve me well in headin to the bushes duty when campin...

jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top