Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 1 of 24)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 10/7/2006 4:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: protus]
Simple thing we all like to talk about ain't it? a BOB... yeah that  green,camo,tan,pink nylon and metal blob sitting stuffed to the gills in your room or trunk.

There's a Load of info on the web of what a BOB should be,what it shouldn't and what  the best one is.  BOB's are a personal  thing. What works  for me wont work for you.
But there are some important things a BOB should be.
It should fit you, it should hold  the amount of gear you've deemed necessary and it should be loaded to a weight you can physically handle.
On avg a 3 day BOB for a single person should weigh between 25- 30 LB's .
Now, i say on avg. because its 3 days. for 3 days you can go through a lot with out a lot.
But you still must be shelter'd,fed and hydrated.

This set up will handle what most of us as "survivalist" will ever have to go through in our lives, and may even double as your once a year backpacking trip set up.
Now on a full bore "crunch" set up your pack weights will go up of course.

From what I've seen  folks will chose a few styles of packs. basically  i narrow it down to 3 styles.
Surplus/military- Alice/molle or other large framed military packs.
Civy- internal/external framed packs
New Mil spec-  BFM,eagle and other  "3 day assault" frame less packs.

I feel that a framed pack of sorts is the only way to go once a extended stay BOB is packed or you want more than 3 days of gear. My reason is most framed packs are above 3500 cubes. This gives you Plenty of space to carry 3-5 days of gear or 3 days of gear and extras( deep winter clothing or extra food and ammo)
I say framed because once you exceed 25-30lbs i feel most frame less packs lack the support needed for those loads. The frame also allows you to tie off and add extra to the pack with out much effort or "felt" increase in weight due to their design.

We see a lot of "what should i pack" or  buy for my BOB.  For every BOB you need to make sure you have your basics covered before ANYTHING else. These are water,food and shelter. With out those 3 you will succumb  to the elements.
Water, you should always have a way to store and filter it.  Some of the more popular ways to store water are bladders or water bags like the Camelbak or Platypus.
These are light weight and easy to store in your pack. For example, most folks use a 2-3 liter , then have a Dromedary bags bag or Nalgenebottles for while in camp.
These are some of the best bets going now days for storage and use IMHO. Some opt for the old USGI canteen. this is a good stand by  but  their main fault is their 1 qt. capacity. These work better for line 2 or fighting loads IMHO. For a BOB a bladder  for on the go hydration is best. You must remember though you are sipping h20 not drinking large amounts, this is the only down fall of having a bladder only set up.  So it is best to combine them  or force yourself to drink constantly while on the go!
Water filters there are many on the market. Two good choices are the MSR filters and the Katadyn line of filters. all are light weight and are proven in the field by military and backpackers across the world. If you chose not to have a filter you need to have at least some water tablets.

Food, for  3 days it isn't much but  you have to make sure  that you have enough packed to ensure your body gets what it needs! There are many pack meals out there from the MRE to freeze dried. From a BOB aspect  you need to have both"hot" and cold meals. When using your BOB you may not have a fire or the chance or ability to cook. Having some fast eats is important.
MRE's are  the best for on the good foods BUT they are heavy,even when broken down. But they are a great source of what you need to stay on top of things.
Freeze drieds or dried foods like Mountain house  are great for in camp or when you need a hot meal. Their main advantage is that they weigh very little, their down fall is the price.
Dried foods like rice,noodles and soup mixes are also a good choice. these are light, and very cheap.
I like to pack lipton rice/pasta sides with  some foil packed chicken added to it. Ive had very good luck with these infield,cook times are fast,price is low and there is enough food to even feed 2 if need be. Normal packages weigh in around 5-7oz's!
I pack one of these each day for  the dinner meals  and No cook meals for lunch, like MRE entrees or the foil packed chicken with some spices, trail mix or a energy bar.
Bagged tuna can also be used in simple meals  or by itself along with salmon or dried beef. Of  course  i can go on and on about different foods but these are pretty basic  meals and ones used by the majority of folks with BOB's since they are shelf stable for long periods.

Shelter. This is a VERY AO dependant choice along with personal comfort levels.
The most common shelter is the tent. For a BOB id stay with something under 5lbs like the Eureka spitfire or the Exponet Inyo 2 A tent like that will normally run you 50-150$ for a name brand or more if you really want fancy.  Your shelter is the 2nd  bulkiest and Heaviest item in your BOB, side from ammo and water.
Tarp/poncho, this is a very common item in BOB's and everyone has them. A small ultra light tarp or poncho will shelter a person easily even in harsh weather,if the rest of their shelter system is in order. The tarp can also add extra protection,concealmet to your tent. as a raincover,ground cloth in winter or a cooking/dinning fly/wind break. some of the smaller tents its a warm welcome to stretch your legs under a fly to cook instead of leaning out and trying to do it all from inside.
Clothing. yes this is shelter. with out clothing your exposed  to the elements. The clothing you pack in your BOB is also very AO dependant. but a good basic set up is this.
Spare socks. i suggest  that a wool blend like Smartwool or for hotter temps a Lycra spandex blend. cotton socks will work in hotter climates but in colder climates you'll want the moisture wicking of the others.
base layer. This is what you'll wear in cold temps or at night. The most common are Poly pro's,Polar max,  Under armour and its knock offs. These all insulate you and keep moisture away from your body. wet is dead IMHO.
Outer shell.  this is everything from a basic nylon windbreaker to a goretex parka. this keeps the wind off you and the water. The newer fabrics these days also breath(goretex)  This also helps keep down  your pack weight. a light weight goretex shell with a heavy poly pro fleece liner will serve most well through the majority of temps through out the year.
Also  this includes  extra clothing BDu's, zip off pant/short combos, gloves, watch caps, balaclava etc.
Now you see why i said this will be one of the most bulkiest items in your BOB.

that's the basics of a BOB.  there  is a ton of stuff you can pack in your BOB but with out  those 3 things your gonna be hurting! This isn't an end all list , as gear is personal choices, and i left out a lot. This way others can chime in on what  gear has worked for them and Hopefully help out some of the newcomers that are packing their 1st BOB.

ETA: more.

So now we have Food,shelter,water in  your BOB.
These items are your 3 bulkiest items  and sometimes the heaviest!
They are the 3 items you NEED to stay alive. Now what else would you want to carry in a BOB.
For one since you'll be using you BOB in a evac/stressful event you want a PLAN.
This doesn't go in your BOB(it could ) but its what will lead you to USE your BOB!
You ll want some tools,communications,nav gear and comfort items along  with extras.

Tools- Tools are a wide variety of  objects from a spare set of multi pliers to a decked out Mp5.
Some basic tools that a BOB should have or incorporate are-
multitool- a do all tool for small jobs and day to day work.

Knife- to stay basic you ll want a design that will do 99% of day to day work. Ive found that a good 4 -5 inch folder or fixed blade will do! My set up incorps  the BK-7 along with my multitool and Gerber folder. i have large duty blades and the smaller folder/multiool for small work(also that's why there's a hacksaw blade in the sheath pouch )

Shovel- heavy item IMHO, and a waste of space. if you must a plastic garden trowel will work. most of  what you need tis for is digging fire pits or to bury waste.

Axe/Saw- heavy item,,  i think a axe is great but the large size is a big No no. the saw is the best bet IMHO. due to its size(Fiskars folding saw) and noise. an axe/hatchet you can hear for along ways off thump,,,thump,,,,thump.....

weapon- This is a tool that will vary form person to person.. for a  NON tactical BO event  the KISS rule applies. the  most robust and simple to use weapon is the best choice. To me that would be a good bolt gun. I like the FR8 in 762x51nato.
again for a NON tactical use but with enough Umphh to take down what i need  to!
sidearm- also a weapons tool.  for our BOB... it should be a 22lr IMHO.  your self defense sidearm should be part of your Line two or fighting gear NOT your BOB!
The 22lr sidearm is perfect for small game getting in a small compact package!

Communications.
You've BO'd now what. When is it safe to go back, can you ever go back?

You need  some way to communicate, be it am/fm/sw or HAM radio.
I don't really carry a lot of comms in my BOB because of their weight's and price right now.
I have a small am/fm/tv1-2 /noaa radio that is the size of a pack of cigs. Its my only Info gathering comms right now. besides my  FRS/GRMS for  P2P comm's.
Like weapons some  ppl are  heavy in this area.

Navigation-
You need to know where your going right? you do know don't you?
Nav gear is pretty basic.
a good compass that you KNOW how to  use.
a good set of AO maps
a GPS- if you must
a set of batts for the GPS
know how to use the 1st two you wont need the GPS IMHO!

Comfort items-
These items are the misc. fluff and stuff we all carry. That ect bic lighter or pocket bible!
these are personal items that will make you BO a Lil cushy or a Lil more relaxing. a good  wipe down with a set of wipes after 5 day son the trail without a bath may be a god send to some. while that nice soft wash cloth is what does it for you..or just the chance to read a few  lines out of your bible.
IMHO there is no limit or list of what comfort items should be.. but they should NEVER out weigh or be taken over what you  NEED,,,,
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is the list itself along with their weights...

"Best Choice sleeping bag+ stuffsack = 4lb, 9oz
(bag is rated for 5 degrees, and despite sounding cheap and inexpensive at like $40 it  has done a good job. I camped on our hill last December without a tent, just a tarp, and no pad, and I made it through the night ok so It is decent, but heavy and I'd like to pick up a lighter summer bag. Snugpak or USGI patrol bag probably)
Camo Tarp (8x10 i think it was? = 1lb, 4oz
Poncho = 2lb 5oz
(not usgi I dont think. Decent quality and pretty heavy it seems. I don't know what usgi one is. As you can see, there is no tent here. I have just made decent work with a tarp in the past, but I would like a tent. Up in the air on which to get. Pup tent pretty cheap at $20 and 4lbs or save and get a Eureka Solitaire for like $80 at 2lbs. Or something like it anyway. thoughts?
http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Backpack-Forest-6-Feet-X4-Feet/dp/B0006V2B2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431809757&sr=8-1&keywords=pup+tent
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solitaire-Tent-sleeps-1/dp/B000EQCVNY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1431809769&sr=8-7&keywords=lightweight+tent
2x Outdoor trash bags
Red Bandana

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
FOOD
Mess kit = 1lb 10oz (pictured above)
Probably one of the more luxeriuos things here at that weight. You can see above it is stainless steel, with pan, kettle, lid, plate, multi utensil, spatula and bandana (for napkin and cleanup) I should probably replace this all with something a little more modest like a titainium pot and spork....
SOS Rations (x2) = 3lbs 5oz (total)
3600 cal each and suposedly good for 3 days. I imagine a growing farmboy could make short work of them, but the calorie for ounce ratio is really pretty good. and no need to cook them. I haven't eaten one yet, but by the sound of what folks say, these are pretty good. like a granola bar. more info below
http://www.amazon.com/S-O-S-Rations-Emergency-Calorie-Food/dp/B004MF41LI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431810353&sr=8-1&keywords=sos+rations
other food stuff = 10oz
just like some oatmeal packets (x3), coco (x4) salt, coffee. I would add more to this if I was planning a trip.
WATER
Bottled water (x4) total = 2 L = 4lbs 8oz
GI canteen and cup (empty) = 1lb 5oz
(not stainless unfortunatly. I don't keep it full, but I keep a lot more bottled water in the toolbox, so I would fill it first, along with adding as much water as I thought I would need for situation) filled with water adds 2lbs, 4oz
Sawer Mini Water Filter = 3.5 oz
(includes backwash saringe, and bladder)
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
CLOTHES (shown above)
The jeans and flannel are not in the bag. just handy to it.
Hoodie sweater
Sweatpants
(both cotton . These should be replaced with windbreaker pants and a wool sweater probably. But like I said, This bag is also meant to have handy everyday stuff. If someone is cold at the bonfire or changing a tire some chilly night, I've got a sweater to share. I have some nice Poly-thermals too (top and bottom). I may use those, but I like something in the way of a sweater too.
two pairs of nice marino wool socks (additional pair rolled in sleeping bag as designated "Sleeping socks")
two white cotton t-shirts
one set of boxers
one warm hat
(you can see some one roll is a full set of skivies, others are rolled individually for convievence)
All together weighing = 3lbs, 3oz
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
TOOLS AND STUFF
Estwing Hatchet =1lb 15oz
I know it clocks a little heavy, but it's really solid, looks really nice and sharp enough to shave with. Plus it was a gift. so I'd be sorry to see it go or get replaced.
Bayonet (AK?) ---
It is lashed to outside of pack and has a striker tied on the sheath. It looks all cool and rambo, but would likely be replaced with the Buck 119 that is kept in the cab. (also pictured) I have just kept this on the pack itself cuz it is rugged and ugly and... you know.
Hand "Chain" saw = 4.5oz
Duct tape =4.5 oz
rolled around a card, but a lot more than 5 feet. it's a fair amount, but takes up a lot less room than a roll does.
About a dozen Zip ties = ---
Multi-tool =7oz
not leatherman. kind of a no name. I'd like a leatherman.
Dorcy Flashlight =7oz
Coleman Lantern =7oz
both run AA which is handy but I'd like to do something different for light. Maybe pick up a headlamp for camp and tent and a different high lumen light for walking. suggestions?
Fire kit =4oz
strike anywhere matches (not waterproof), steel striker, bic lighter (I think there is another lighter in the first aid kit too) and vasoline cotton balls for starter.
Sewing/fishing kit in altoid tin (not pictured or weighed.
Hygine kit =4oz
otherwise all purpose camp soap =5oz
Tissues/toilet paper =2.5oz (but plenty there)
Radio =6.5oz
kind of a luxery item. that can go, but is fun when with a group of guys. takes AA batteries
Phone charger and 8x AA batteries =10oz
Id lose the charger if I don't have phone. But the phone has helpful PDF books and guides
~100 feet of paracord.
about 50 of it cut into smaller pieces. I take and add to this.
Bible = 3oz
FIRST AID KIT = 1lb 10oz
it's homemade, not a kit. I could go into that if you want
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 6:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sonofagun74] [#5]
Still looking for a decent compass
Also, being summer, I haven't added bug spray yet.

OTHER THINGS
The last image is some stuff I keep in my truck cab or toolbox that I would have the option of bringing depending on the situation.
There is my lovely Buck 119 special That I love. she comes.
A folding shovel (not GI)= 2lbs
Portable battery bank for phone. (built in flashlight too) probably good for like 2 or 3 full recharges. = 7oz
a scarf, shawl, thing that terrorists wear. watcha call. (not politicly correct warning ) My brother in law is from Ethiopia (He's a good guy for the record) and these are really popular over there. I like and carry bandanas, but this being bigger can do some more stuff and makes a decent, scarf, shawl, blanket, dust mask, liner, sling, you name it and it's light. So that would probably come.
Permafocus binoculars
soft canteen
and a lot more bottled water.

Lastly, On myself every day I carry my trusty Buck 110 folding knife, a bandana, my phone (with multiple PDF files with how-to's emergency stuff, and books) and my wallet (also containing a folding knife).

I may have forgotten to list something, but This will get us going. So if you want to glance through and suggest where I can shave weight, I'd appreciate it. Funny how fast it adds up eh? But if you want to point out what needs to go, and in what order, I'd appreciate it. I know I want to try a new Sleep system. Tent, bag, and mat. I guess along with those, I'm just trying to prioritize what needs to be replaced in what order as funds allow. Thanks for any help fellas.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raimius] [#6]
It looks like you have most things covered, but want to cut the weight a little.

Areas to cut weight easily:
Sleeping bag--it's heavy.  Depending on your location, you may not need a 5 degree bag!  If you don't mind leaving it uncompressed, down is much lighter for the warmth you get.  Personally, I'm slowly killing a Snugpack 3 by leaving it in a compressed state--not ideal, but I ran out of storage room.

Hatchet--get rid of it.  If you have a good fixed blade knife, you can do almost everything a hatchet can do, just not quite as efficiently.  This is a skill vs. equipment thing.  

Tarp + Poncho--a good poncho can be used as shelter.  It won't be as good (smaller), but a GI sized poncho can make a pretty decent shelter.

Mess kit (and canteen)--depends on what you plan to cook.  If you limit yourself to boiling water or small "one pot" meals, you can cut down on most of this.  A 1L pot or smaller, with lid can do quite a lot.  If you really want to go extreme, you can use a Nalgene and nesting cup or just a metal bottle.  (That pretty much limits you to "add boiling water" type meals).

Food--3lbs seems heavy to me.  I'd take a 2nd look at that.

Multi-tool--that one looks kind of heavy for what it is.  Consider getting a Victorinox/Wenger knife instead.  You'll get most of the features in a lighter/smaller size.

One thing I'd consider, since this is a "truck bag" is to make two lists.  Have 1 list of "essentials" that say in the ruck.  Then, have a 2nd list of situation dependent items in a 2nd bag.  When you run into a situation, you just cross-load whatever extras you want into the ruck.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WSS] [#8]
Does anyone carry an armor panel in their bag? I have one in each bag (more of a GHB) fits good and I am making up a velcro strap so it can be used outside the bag. They are level III NIJ rated, so most handguns. The bag itself (w/panel in) can be used as a shield in a hurry. Weighs 1lb,6ozs and is fits up against the front and gives a internal pack feel like kydex would give. it is actually designed for a kids backpack, very discreet almost looks like a laptop sleeve.

WSS
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WSS:

Does anyone carry an armor panel in their bag? I have one in each bag (more of a GHB) fits good and I am making up a velcro strap so it can be used outside the bag. They are level III NIJ rated, so most handguns. The bag itself (w/panel in) can be used as a shield in a hurry. Weighs 1lb,6ozs and is fits up against the front and gives a internal pack feel like kydex would give. it is actually designed for a kids backpack, very discreet almost looks like a laptop sleeve.

WSS
View Quote
No. Just wear a vest....or buy a surplus tank to bug out it

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By protus:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WSS:

WSS

I suppose I should of guessed that as it is a BOB thread. I searched for a GHB thread and no luck, so I thought I would post my question here.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I am working on lists for my families bags but there are some items mentioned, communications or navigational for example, would it be best to have redundancy or save room and have a person in charge of each type of extra equipment?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 8vTRH:
I am working on lists for my families bags but there are some items mentioned, communications or navigational for example, would it be best to have redundancy or save room and have a person in charge of each type of extra equipment?
View Quote

...it depends...

I would argue for having the basics covered in each bag.  You don't want to be SOL if one bag/person is not there.
That said, not everyone necessarily needs a radio or GPS.  For something like nav, I'd have everyone have at least a compass and map.  That way, you have basic redundancy, but not everyone has to lug the full set.

Everyone should have a knife, fire starter, water, shelter, etc.
Complex/heavy items can be group items (e.g. shovel, nice tent, extra comm/nav stuff.)
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Makes sense, thank you for the help!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 3:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#14]
Hey everyone, I don't post much in this forum but I read with interest and thought I'd put my setup into the BoB thread.  My bag is intended to be somewhat of a "catch-all" for whatever I may encounter, from auto breakdowns and unexpected nights on the road to a true bug out situation.  This lives in my car and travels about with me.  I built one about 5 years ago and kept it in the closet after an incident when I was in med school and my apartment complex caught fire.  It's kicked around in some form or another but I recently updated it with a few items and so here it is.

I have a few backpacking books from Chris Townsend and in them he details his backpacking philosophy and general gear reviews and setups.  The books are ancient by now, but the principles remain the same and I like the way he organizes his gear for seasonal use.  My setup here is similar to my setup when backpacking, and generally based off his books.

The items are a combination of old backpacking gear I've had for years (I backpacked a lot when I was younger and worked at an REI in college) as well as some various deals and closeout items I found on the internet.  A few things need to be added to fully round out or improve the setup, among those I'd like a better backpack (got this on a closeout when I worked with REI, it's OK for light hiking but a bit too lightweight for my taste, it seems a bit flimsy), a few nylon straps/buckles for the sleeping pad, I need an epi-pen for the first aid kit as well as a few more pairs of gloves.  I have a bunch of nice German bandage scissors sitting in my briefcase, I need to clean one of them up and throw it in this bag.  I've also been toying around with the idea of getting a wood buck-saw to strap in the outside, I think it would be helpful if I were to need to break down wood for a fire or clear a small obstruction on a road.

Total weight for the bag including all the clothes as well as the pair of shoes, 2L of water, food, etc. comes to 32lbs.  I think if I were to be wearing at least the base layer of clothes and the shoes it would probably drop down to 27lbs or so, further still if I weren't carrying 2L of water.

This is the bag loaded up as it sits in my car...

Sleeping kit including a fleece blanket, 8 x 10 Siltarp, aluminum stakes, 100ft paracord, and a closed cell foam pad.  I used this basic setup a few years ago when I lived in Utah for a 110+ mile hike, although I had some hiking poles to build an a-frame out of the tarp, as well as a mesh bivouac for sleeping.  I'd have to be a little more creative without the poles, but on the other hand I'm not sleeping exclusively above the treeline so it's less of a concern.  I don't love sleeping on a closed cell foam pad, but it gets the job done and works no matter what.  The fleece blanket gets traded out for a sleeping bag once the temperatures drop.

Clothing includes a lightweight pair of convertible pants, wicking shirt and underwear, and merino wool socks as well as some Goretex lined low profile hiking shoes.  Outer layers include insulated gloves, merino wool cap, a lightweight fleece jacket, and a Goretex rain jacket.  The combo is surprisingly warm, especially when moving.  I could certainly stand to ditch the fleece jacket and wool cap in the summer here in Kentucky but it's also part of my sleep system so it stays.  I also have a pair of leather-lined work gloves.

Hygiene kit.  This includes bug spray and sunscreen, body wash and deodorant, spare contacts with a case and solution, toothbrush/floss/paste, TP and baby wipes, a camp towel, hand sanitizer and a mirror...

Navigation and record keeping...

Tools including a 6" fixed blade, leatherman surge MT, black diamond LED headlamp (really old at this point, I need a new one), Surefire 6P Pro 320/15 lumen LED flashlight, candles with a lantern, and an AM/FM/NOAA radio

Food and cooking/fire kit.  2L of water, 3 freeze-dried MH dinners, 3 cliffbars, 6 oatmeal packets, 6 coffee singles, MSR canister stove, titanium pot with a propane/butane canister inside, titanium spork, MSR ceramic water filter (I love this design, though somewhat heavy the ceramic filter can be serviced in the field, but if it drops and hits something like a rock it may crack, I've learned the hard way to be cautious when cleaning it), 2 butane lighters, matches in waterproof container, a magnesium bar with flint, as well as dog food (said incident with apartment fire I had my two dogs and nothing else, it sucked).  The nalgene bottles each have a few yards of duct tape wrapped around them.

First aid setup, including a CAT tourniquet, a couple of 14g pneumodarts, HALO chest seals, izzy bandage, quick-clot, 4x4 gauze, kerlix,  silk tape, steri-strips, face masks (both basic and N95), moleskin, some nitrile gloves, bandaids, misc. crap in the little first aid kit, nail clippers/scissors, and the small pill box.  I need to cannibalize the premade first aid kit and fill it with more gloves and bandaids, it doesn't do much else for me.

The pill-box I bought off Amazon for something like $6, it's pretty cool.  I keep ibuprofen, baby aspirin, loratidine, phenylephrine, famotidine, calcium carbonate tablets, ondansetron, and loperamide, as well as a few bandaids in the kit.  I made little labels indicating the strength, dose, and intended use on the panels, and then stuffed them with cotton balls so it doesn't rattle around...

That's all for now.  It wasn't terribly expensive to build since I recycled a lot of old backpacking stuff that I'm not using.  I have a few changes to make, most pressing is the bag itself.  I'd like something a bit more sturdy and a better way to carry the foam pad, I'm thinking of stopping by REI the next time I'm visiting family in Salt Lake City to get a Gregory or Osprey, although looking through this thread companies like Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock have some nice stuff too.  You'll note I don't keep a gun in my pack - since it sits in my car and my car sits at work, or my kids play in my car, I haven't left one in the pack.  I'm not totally opposed to it, but not convinced either.  I certainly recognize its utility, but I'm relying on my CCW for that purpose for now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
Hey everyone, I don't post much in this forum but I read with interest and thought I'd put my setup into the BoB thread.  My bag is intended to be somewhat of a "catch-all" for whatever I may encounter, from auto breakdowns and unexpected nights on the road to a true bug out situation.  This lives in my car and travels about with me.  I built one about 5 years ago and kept it in the closet after an incident when I was in med school and my apartment complex caught fire.  It's kicked around in some form or another but I recently updated it with a few items and so here it is.

I have a few backpacking books from Chris Townsend and in them he details his backpacking philosophy and general gear reviews and setups.  The books are ancient by now, but the principles remain the same and I like the way he organizes his gear for seasonal use.  My setup here is similar to my setup when backpacking, and generally based off his books.

The items are a combination of old backpacking gear I've had for years (I backpacked a lot when I was younger and worked at an REI in college) as well as some various deals and closeout items I found on the internet.  A few things need to be added to fully round out or improve the setup, among those I'd like a better backpack (got this on a closeout when I worked with REI, it's OK for light hiking but a bit too lightweight for my taste, it seems a bit flimsy), a few nylon straps/buckles for the sleeping pad, I need an epi-pen for the first aid kit as well as a few more pairs of gloves.  I have a bunch of nice German bandage scissors sitting in my briefcase, I need to clean one of them up and throw it in this bag.  I've also been toying around with the idea of getting a wood buck-saw to strap in the outside, I think it would be helpful if I were to need to break down wood for a fire or clear a small obstruction on a road.

Total weight for the bag including all the clothes as well as the pair of shoes, 2L of water, food, etc. comes to 32lbs.  I think if I were to be wearing at least the base layer of clothes and the shoes it would probably drop down to 27lbs or so, further still if I weren't carrying 2L of water.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/607/21426536471_d19123777f_b.jpg

Sleeping kit including a fleece blanket, 8 x 10 Siltarp, aluminum stakes, 100ft paracord, and a closed cell foam pad.  I used this basic setup a few years ago when I lived in Utah for a 110+ mile hike, although I had some hiking poles to build an a-frame out of the tarp, as well as a mesh bivouac for sleeping.  I'd have to be a little more creative without the poles, but on the other hand I'm not sleeping exclusively above the treeline so it's less of a concern.  I don't love sleeping on a closed cell foam pad, but it gets the job done and works no matter what.  The fleece blanket gets traded out for a sleeping bag once the temperatures drop.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/651/21230011510_370d8be670_b.jpg

Clothing includes a lightweight pair of convertible pants, wicking shirt and underwear, and merino wool socks as well as some Goretex lined low profile hiking shoes.  Outer layers include insulated gloves, merino wool cap, a lightweight fleece jacket, and a Goretex rain jacket.  The combo is surprisingly warm, especially when moving.  I could certainly stand to ditch the fleece jacket and wool cap in the summer here in Kentucky but it's also part of my sleep system so it stays.  I also have a pair of leather-lined work gloves.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5721/21230254638_4bd603a365_b.jpg

Hygiene kit.  This includes bug spray and sunscreen, body wash and deodorant, spare contacts with a case and solution, toothbrush/floss/paste, TP and baby wipes, a camp towel, hand sanitizer and a mirror...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5788/20797025003_d5741f3412_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5754/20796996173_954085e5be_b.jpg

Tools including a 6" fixed blade, leatherman surge MT, black diamond LED headlamp (really old at this point, I need a new one), Surefire 6P Pro 320/15 lumen LED flashlight, candles with a lantern, and an AM/FM/NOAA radio

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/680/21407184122_383b977b25_b.jpg

Food and cooking/fire kit.  2L of water, 3 freeze-dried MH dinners, 3 cliffbars, 6 oatmeal packets, 6 coffee singles, MSR canister stove, titanium pot with a propane/butane canister inside, titanium spork, MSR ceramic water filter (I love this design, though somewhat heavy the ceramic filter can be serviced in the field, but if it drops and hits something like a rock it may crack, I've learned the hard way to be cautious when cleaning it), 2 butane lighters, matches in waterproof container, a magnesium bar with flint, as well as dog food (said incident with apartment fire I had my two dogs and nothing else, it sucked).  The nalgene bottles each have a few yards of duct tape wrapped around them.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5742/21229981630_c917c17f21_b.jpg

First aid setup, including a CAT tourniquet, a couple of 14g pneumodarts, HALO chest seals, izzy bandage, quick-clot, 4x4 gauze, kerlix,  silk tape, steri-strips, face masks (both basic and N95), moleskin, some nitrile gloves, bandaids, misc. crap in the little first aid kit, nail clippers/scissors, and the small pill box.  I need to cannibalize the premade first aid kit and fill it with more gloves and bandaids, it doesn't do much else for me.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5737/21229961470_c7c9dfdefa_b.jpg

The pill-box I bought off Amazon for something like $6, it's pretty cool.  I keep ibuprofen, baby aspirin, loratidine, phenylephrine, famotidine, calcium carbonate tablets, ondansetron, and loperamide, as well as a few bandaids in the kit.  I made little labels indicating the strength, dose, and intended use on the panels, and then stuffed them with cotton balls so it doesn't rattle around...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/624/21230221588_4f382d70d7_b.jpg

That's all for now.  It wasn't terribly expensive to build since I recycled a lot of old backpacking stuff that I'm not using.  I have a few changes to make, most pressing is the bag itself.  I'd like something a bit more sturdy and a better way to carry the foam pad, I'm thinking of stopping by REI the next time I'm visiting family in Salt Lake City to get a Gregory or Osprey, although looking through this thread companies like Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock have some nice stuff too.  You'll note I don't keep a gun in my pack - since it sits in my car and my car sits at work, or my kids play in my car, I haven't left one in the pack.  I'm not totally opposed to it, but not convinced either.  I certainly recognize its utility, but I'm relying on my CCW for that purpose for now.
View Quote

Nice knife, what model/manufacturer?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a Survive Knives! GSO-6
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#17]

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/607/21426536471_d19123777f_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/651/21230011510_370d8be670_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5721/21230254638_4bd603a365_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5788/20797025003_d5741f3412_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5754/20796996173_954085e5be_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/680/21407184122_383b977b25_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5742/21229981630_c917c17f21_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5737/21229961470_c7c9dfdefa_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/624/21230221588_4f382d70d7_b.jpg

View Quote

Just ordered two pill boxes...thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Nicely done astrocreep96........

just took my bloated bag on about a 10 mile hike with an overnight stay...... not gonna lie- its going on a MAJOR diet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Hey everyone, I don't post much in this forum but I read with interest and thought I'd put my setup into the BoB thread.... [SNIP]
View Quote

Astrocreep96, get out of my head, dawg.

Your gear selection looks uncannily similar to my own hiking pack.  REI pack, RidgeRest sleeping pad, tarp, GSO knife, all of it.  In my opinion, everyone here should be going on regular hiking trips using their BOB.  Yours shows a lot of experience.  

I wrap my RidgeRest inside my pack.  It fits nice, and leaves a large space in the middle to stuff my gear.  With it in there, the pack has enough structure that I removed the support panel.  For my actual BOB set up, I don't pack a sleeping pad.  I do agree that the RidgeRest is the most bombproof option available.  

I'd replace one of the Nalgene bottles with a Stainless bottle (to boil water in).  When I hike, I just use two or three 1L Smart Water bottles, as opposed to Nalgenes.  Its an easy pound gained.

No ground cover?  Maybe toss in one of the nicer "space blankets" that have the foil on one side and a plastic on the other.  A sheet of Tyvek works excellent for around $12.  Also a 2mm contractor bag can come in handy.  

I've moved away from Butane stoves.  A good alcohol stove can be found for $12 (or free if you make it).  Then you have a much higher chance of finding fuel.  And the alcohol works great to help get a fire started.  

The GSO 6 is an awesome blade, good choice.  Leatherman, too.  I add a folding saw (Bahco or Silky) in addition in my pack.  My truck often has a good bowsaw in it.  I consider just packing a bowsaw blade or two, and crafting a bowsaw in the field (see Youtube).  

My prepper side compels me to add a fishing/snares kit.

I'm starting to leave out TP and pack more WetWipes.  They work better as TP, can't get ruined by moisture, and of course have other hygiene uses.  ProTip, reuse one you used on your hands/face for the TP role later (not the other way around).

Lastly, devise a way to keep your CCW accessible while the pack is on.  Waist straps make this difficult.  I keep the gun in a Wilderness Safepacker, which then wraps over the waist belt but still conceals the gun.

Here are some pics from my 3 day hike a week ago.  I packed the Mora instead of a nicer knife.  The RidgeRest is inside my pack.  The stove setup is by Trail Designs, the Ti Tri system (can use Esbit, alcohol, or wood fuel).  The tarp is a Sea-to-Summit poncho.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Hornet:

Your gear selection looks uncannily similar to my own hiking pack.  REI pack, RidgeRest sleeping pad, tarp, GSO knife, all of it.  In my opinion, everyone here should be going on regular hiking trips using their BOB.  Yours shows a lot of experience.  

I wrap my RidgeRest inside my pack.  It fits nice, and leaves a large space in the middle to stuff my gear.  With it in there, the pack has enough structure that I removed the support panel.  For my actual BOB set up, I don't pack a sleeping pad.  I do agree that the RidgeRest is the most bombproof option available.  

I'd replace one of the Nalgene bottles with a Stainless bottle (to boil water in).  When I hike, I just use two or three 1L Smart Water bottles, as opposed to Nalgenes.  Its an easy pound gained.

No ground cover?  Maybe toss in one of the nicer "space blankets" that have the foil on one side and a plastic on the other.  A sheet of Tyvek works excellent for around $12.  Also a 2mm contractor bag can come in handy.  

I've moved away from Butane stoves.  A good alcohol stove can be found for $12 (or free if you make it).  Then you have a much higher chance of finding fuel.  And the alcohol works great to help get a fire started.  

The GSO 6 is an awesome blade, good choice.  Leatherman, too.  I add a folding saw (Bahco or Silky) in addition in my pack.  My truck often has a good bowsaw in it.  I consider just packing a bowsaw blade or two, and crafting a bowsaw in the field (see Youtube).  

I'm starting to leave out TP and pack more WetWipes.  They work better as TP, can't get ruined by moisture, and of course have other hygiene uses.  ProTip, reuse one you used on your hands/face for the TP role later (not the other way around).

Lastly, devise a way to keep your CCW accessible while the pack is on.  Waist straps make this difficult.  I keep the gun in a Wilderness Safepacker, which then wraps over the waist belt but still conceals the gun.

Here are some pics from my 3 day hike a week ago.  I packed the Mora instead of a nicer knife.  The RidgeRest is inside my pack.  The stove setup is by Trail Designs, the Ti Tri system (can use Esbit, alcohol, or wood fuel).  The tarp is a Sea-to-Summit poncho.  

View All Quotes
Hey everyone, I don't post much in this forum but I read with interest and thought I'd put my setup into the BoB thread.... [SNIP]

Great pictures, Hornet, and thanks for the suggestions.

I like the idea of placing the thermarest in the pack, I've heard of others doing it as well.  I'm not sure how to pack it such that it leaves any room in my pack, though.  I could cut down the length of the pad, but it still seems to take up enough volume to not leave anything left.  The thermarest is in place of the ground cover, plus I can use it if I sleep in the back of my FJ Cruiser.

I hear you on the water bottles, I may switch to a a stainless steel bottle at some point but I'm not necessarily gaining anything since I use a titanium pot to boil water.  I could ditch the titanium pot, but I still have the fuel cartridge.

I haven't tried an alcohol stove - the book I referenced by Chris Townsend spoke highly of the Trangia system quite some time ago, I trust it works well but I enjoy the speed of setting up and cooking with the cartridge stove.  If I were to convert to a different design I suspect I would pick up an MSR Whisperlite or maybe one of the multifuels from Primus.

As for the TP - I agree but it also works for a firestarter in a a pinch, plus its cheap and easily available.  You're probably right, though, in regards to the baby wipes.  I have gone so far in the past as to just carry larger "water-less body wipes" and cut them down as needed, I did that in Peru for a few weeks when I didn't have access to a shower.  

I probably should piece together a fishing kit, and I agree about the saw.  I have been looking at a wooden buck-saw that stores two blades and collapses to a thin bundle.  At some point I think I will get around to assembling both.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#21]
My usgi thermarest goes in my pack. Rolled up...along one side...water ..food..heavies..in the center..hygiene ..clothing bits..Med get Stacker other side to balance..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#22]

I like the idea of placing the thermarest in the pack, I've heard of others doing it as well.  I'm not sure how to pack it such that it leaves any room in my pack, though.  I could cut down the length of the pad, but it still seems to take up enough volume....

View All Quotes

SNIP

I like the idea of placing the thermarest in the pack, I've heard of others doing it as well.  I'm not sure how to pack it such that it leaves any room in my pack, though.  I could cut down the length of the pad, but it still seems to take up enough volume....

Your stuff goes in the middle, sleeping pad around it. Like this:

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting, maybe I'll have to pull my bag out and play around with it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#24]

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag317/green46250/Mobile%20Uploads/20150810_201856_zps9afy76je.jpg

View All Quotes

SNIP

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag317/green46250/Mobile%20Uploads/20150810_201856_zps9afy76je.jpg

Theres a dead bear by your pack....
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

SNIP

Ha!  A dead bear would be more useful than that dog.  Total freeloader.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

SNIP

I feel so dumb right now for not having thought of putting a bed roll in my BOB like that.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Damnit this thread made me go put together a amazon wishlist for a new camping kit / BoB. Im at $600 already and haven't added a sleeping bag yet. There goes the bonus
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Hking:
Damnit this thread made me go put together a amazon wishlist for a new camping kit / BoB. Im at $600 already and haven't added a sleeping bag yet. There goes the bonus
View Quote

Holy shit. 600$

You should be 200- less even with sleeping bag.
That is unless your dumping high end stuff.

Whatca got so far....

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hking] [#29]

Holy shit. 600$

Whatca got so far....

View All Quotes

Holy shit. 600$

Whatca got so far....

http://amzn.com/w/3K121GSG6ONXC
hotlink URL doesnt work for some reason but copy+paste does.
That is what I have so far. Granted im starting pretty much from scratch, but I already have a bunch of odds and ends, good FAK, lighters, batteries, etc. Its going to be dual purpose as a camping kit as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link noworky... lol .

Drop the list here ..see what your working on.

All of my kit is dual use imho. It shoukd be anyway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Try this one maybe

http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/3K121GSG6ONXC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_ws_Lkfhwb0TKJD6M
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Try this one maybe

http://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/3K121GSG6ONXC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_ws_Lkfhwb0TKJD6M
View Quote
Dump the hammock and net deal. Get a yukon hammock with built in net 24$.

Dump the hydro tube pouch thing. No need.

That pack sucks for 70$ better can be had.

Skip the vario. Drop 30$ more get the katadyn mini.

To much for the bottle. Metal cans like that can he had at ross...tjmaxx..etc for under 10$.

Fish tool ...wtf...is that. Dump.

Fatwood...dump...go find your own for free.

Rat knife. Cool but big...heavy and pricey. Go smaller around that 4-6 inch length( mora makes them now with firesteels in the handle under 30$)

Saw...dump...get a fold up one for 9$ at lowes.

My two pennies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Dump the hammock and net deal. Get a yukon hammock with built in net 24$.  
- I am.... over the weight limit for the yukon with built in net. The one I chose is highly recommended by heftier gentlemen like myself.

Dump the hydro tube pouch thing. No need.
- Good idea, bottle can be kept inside the pack I might dump the dump pouch as well, I thought it would be good for something but I always carry gallon ziplocks and other bags

That pack sucks for 70$ better can be had.
- Like what, im not up on bags and packs? I thought condor was pretty well regarded, and 5.11 or Maxpedition at 2x-3x the price is a bit much for me.

Skip the vario. Drop 30$ more get the katadyn mini.
- The hiker and hiker pro are about the same price as the vario with more mixed reviews. The Katadyn pocket is like $300 so im not sure what mini you are talking about.

To much for the bottle. Metal cans like that can he had at ross...tjmaxx..etc for under 10$.
- I live in a very rural area, there are no stores that carry things like that for hours in any direction.... So I get 99% of my stuff online. I wanted a brand I can trust not to be full of cheap chinese metals full of lead and with a coating that will flake and get into the water.

Fish tool ...wtf...is that. Dump.
- It expands inside the mouth of the metal bottle to either pick it up out of the fire or hang over the fire by running a rod or stick through the hole, very handy.

Fatwood...dump...go find your own for free.
- Just being lazy, easier to buy than make my own. I should whip up some charcloth too.

Rat knife. Cool but big...heavy and pricey. Go smaller around that 4-6 inch length( mora makes them now with firesteels in the handle under 30$)
- I wanted a knife with 5160 steel and not some shit chinese spring steel, want it to stand up to batoning and abuse. I am not familiar with Mora or their 12C27 stainless steel, but I will look into something smaller.

Saw...dump...get a fold up one for 9$ at lowes.
- I used to use a 8" folder and it really sucked for anything more than 2-3" cuts, wanted something that could handle larger diameter wood as well. I will use this in my truck to clear fallen logs when offroading in the Black Hills as well.

My two pennies.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#34]
http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8017764-Mini-Ceramic-Filter/dp/B003C1EVQ8/ref=sr_1_1/187-5401530-4292133?ie=UTF8&qid=1444728643&sr=8-1&keywords=katadyn+mini+filter

Mini.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#35]
If any of you are looking for a great knife at a greater price here it is!

Right here!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:46:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#36]
http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8017764-Mini-Ceramic-Filter/dp/B003C1EVQ8/ref=sr_1_1/187-5401530-4292133?ie=UTF8&qid=1444728643&sr=8-1&keywords=katadyn+mini+filter

Mini.
View Quote

I've completely abandoned these.

Katadyn Mini - 0.2 micron for 1,849 gallons - weighs 1.8 lbs - $79
Sawyer Mini - 0.1 micron for 100,000 gallons  - 0.3 lbs - $16

I don't see where the Katadyn does anything better.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

View All Quotes

Mini.

Actaully.fwiw...

In tbe stuff sack with scrub pad..lube..float ..extra tube and bottle of msr sweetwater hypo drops(2-3 bottle )  it weighs  11 3/8oz.

By its self it weighs(of course its fill tube is inside it )

7 3/4 oz.

Not 1.8lbs...

The hiker i recall is 13oz and tbe pocket is over one pound. Dont own tbe vario so cant say.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Copy that, thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 4:47:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Copy that, thanks for the clarification.
View Quote

No problem...when you said 1.8 i was like no way...i woulda never bought it if it was that heavy as i already had the hiker and the mini is twice as small. Lol so i went and grabbed the digital scale and flopped it on there...
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I haven't searched the entire thread to see if anyone posted it already, but if you want an excellent source of info for lightweight camping/trekking tactics, techniques and procedures, get thee to Amazon and get a copy of Camping and Woodcraft, by Horace Kephart.

He wrote about this kind of stuff from the perspective of a guy who spent years living in the woods and traveling light.

I've learned a great deal from his book, and have started applying some of the TTPs to my own BOB setup.

The camp cookery section is the best, because nothing will ruin the end of a hard day faster than a crappy meal afterward.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a set of good backpacking/outdoors clothes socks and boots in a duffel ready to put on, along with a good sturdy belt and a good hat.  
Next to it, I have a 22 rifle (ruger 10/22 takedown) and a couple of mags for it. Bug out bag weighs under 45 pounds.

Next to that, I have my BOB.  It has:
Bug Out Bag  (aether 60)
Rain Cover
Medical/first aid kit
Bug Spray
Gloves
Light pants/shirt (columbia)
Socks x 3
Packable Columbia parka coat
Lightweight rain coat- rei
Bandanna
Sewing Kit
glasses
Cliff Bars box
Emergency coast guard lifeboat rations x 5
water Bottles, full and sealed
Lifestraw Water Filter
Water purification tablets
Matches
Lighter
Knife (SOG seal pup)
Leatherman
Rope (550 Chord)
Headlamp
Batteries
Backpacking Tent
Tarp
Stakes
Sleeping bag
thermarest
22 pistol (ruger 22-45 lite)
1000 rounds .22, holster
Cleaning kit, clp
Camp soap
Micro towel
Radio
Compass
Protractor
200 in small bills
Quarters (8)
Note pad, Pencils x3
Survival Wire
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Are you used to working with a 45lb load?
By .mil standards, you are doing well...but most people are going to want something under 30ish pounds due to fatigue issues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#43]

perfect Bug out Bag.

Rothco Move Out Tactical Bag

Rothco  

Link: http://amzn.com/B003DC20VE

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Jeteye:
http://www.rothco.com/product-details/rothco-move-out-tacticaltravel-backpack

perfect Bug out Bag.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n%2BqgtdfpL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg          

Rothco  

View Quote

Perfect for what....
If people hiked with their shit more...you'd never see a pack like that or 511 or lapg etc on the boards.

Hell my kelty falcon has well over 100+ miles...and I'm not sold 100% on it...my Alice pack triple that...and it sucks balls ...

Packs like that and similar are great patrol or day hike packs not lets walk for 4-7 days with 40+- lbs of crap.

Rant off.
LOL

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Perfect for what....
If people hiked with their shit more...you'd never see a pack like that or 511 or lapg etc on the boards.

Hell my kelty falcon has well over 100+ miles...and I'm not sold 100% on it...my Alice pack triple that...and it sucks balls ...

Packs like that and similar are great patrol or day hike packs not lets walk for 4-7 days with 40+- lbs of crap.

Rant off.
LOL

View All Quotes

perfect Bug out Bag.

Rothco  

Perfect for what....

Rant off.
LOL

Truth. It wouldn't last a few days of hard use, it'd be uncomfortable as hell, too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Truth. It wouldn't last a few days of hard use, it'd be uncomfortable as hell, too.

View All Quotes

perfect Bug out Bag.

Rothco  

Perfect for what....

Rant off.

LOL

Thanks for the insightful reviews.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, that bag for extended day use is going to absolutely suck. It's okay for an in the car get home bag but not extended stays out in the country. I'm not even fully sure that my Gregory Palisade 80 is up to doing more than 4 days without resupply.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

perfect Bug out Bag.

Rothco  

Perfect for what....

Rant off.
LOL

Buy it. Put 35-40lbs of gear..food..water that'd you'll need for 3-4 days 10-15 miles a day...over said 3-4 days and try it.
Then tell us we are incorrect.
Worse case your out 30$ and if its super awesome you'll have no issue getting that back in the EE.

A Med Alice would be my choice  WAY WAY before that thing...

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slankford] [#49]
So what does this look like in a normal setting like mine?  I live a Waco, TX, work 8 miles from home.  I have a 56 year old wife, married daughter/son-in-law + 6, 4 and 6 month old grandkids.  I'm trying to wrap my mind about the benefit/use of a bug oyt bag.  I carry two handguns, 6 magazines , about 150 rounds total in my vehicle each day.

What is the practical use of several days of supplies for one person?

Just trying to work out these issues, not criticizing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 1:51:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#50]
Originally Posted By slankford:
So what does this look like in a normal setting like mine?  I live a Waco, TX, work 8 miles from home.  I have a 56 year old wife, married daughter/son-in-law + 6, 4 and 6 month old grandkids.  I'm trying to wrap my mind about the benefit/use of a bug oyt bag.  I carry two handguns, 6 magazines , about 150 rounds total in my vehicle each day.

What is the practical use of several days of supplies for one person?

Just trying to work out these issues, not criticizing.
View Quote

That's something we all have to decide.  Just think of it as a get home bag and not a bug out bag.  Or think of it as a travel bag in case your vehicle breaks down on a trip.

CD
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 1 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top