Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2021 5:59:59 PM EDT
What is everyone doing for canned beef in their preps?
This is the one thing I don't have is any kind of beef.
I don't have a pressure cooker, might get one, just wanted to see what is out there.

I have found some at Costco on line and a local Wal Mart.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got some of the Keystone brand from Walmart. Beef, Chicken and some pork. It's not bad, last a few years and it's easier than canning my own. I have a pressure canner but I've only canned Beef a couple times.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My family used to home can (pressure canner) beef, chicken and pork.

Plenty of how to videos on Youtube!

That way you know the quality of the meat and most end up dead tender and flavorful!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Keystone is sort of local to me, and their products are perfectly good.   I like making beef and noodles with their beef in the winter.  The local buffalo ranch was getting some canned by them as well.

I personally like keeping some higher end corned beef on hand too, typically Ox and Palm brand.  It is greasy, but that's not always a bad thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keystone is sort of local to me, and their products are perfectly good.   I like making beef and noodles with their beef in the winter.  The local buffalo ranch was getting some canned by them as well.

I personally like keeping some higher end corned beef on hand too, typically Ox and Palm brand.  It is greasy, but that's not always a bad thing.
View Quote

I am looking at Keystone canned beef, will try and drop by the local WM tomorrow and pick up some.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a couple 4 packs at Costco, haven’t been brave enough to try it yet
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a couple 4 packs at Costco, haven't been brave enough to try it yet
View Quote
If it's as good as the old Dept. Of Agriculture government commodities canned beef you'll love it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
We can our beef in large mouth quart cans.  An All American pressure canner is used.  A bit of the meat is cubed, but by far most of it is ground.  Most of it is browned first, not all of it.  Large mouth cans are a lot easier to reach in and wash the jars.  Small mouth can be used, but you will need a brush and hot water to clean them, and it will still be harder to get them clean.  With the large mouth jars, a child's hand or a small adult hand can fit in and clean them properly and easily.

We can beef, pork, and venison the same way, perhaps grinding some beef tallow or pork fat in with the venison if we have some available.  The most common thing we use with the venison is ground bacon ends.  It is inexpensive and has a good flavor.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am looking at Keystone canned beef, will try and drop by the local WM tomorrow and pick up some.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kroger also carries it, usually on lower shelf.  It's decent stuff
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Walmart had a hell of a sale online with the Keystone beef last month.  I bought a few cans.  Watch for sales.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Costco Kirkland brand canned beef is pretty good.  Great for burritos, tacos, nachos.  Anything you can think of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Kroger also carries it, usually on lower shelf.  It's decent stuff
View Quote

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of this stuff.  Can someone show a picture of the can and contents?
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of this stuff.  Can someone show a picture of the can and contents?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]
They have turkey and chicken too.  The ingredients are simple.  The chicken was good.  Have not tried my beef preps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 3:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Wow, over a pound.  Interesting.  What does it really look like, I'm sure it ain't like the label.

I'm seriously curious about this, I've never seen or heard of it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wow, over a pound.  Interesting.  What does it really look like, I'm sure it ain't like the label.

I'm seriously curious about this, I've never seen or heard of it.
View Quote

Here's a youtube review.  Cut to about the 2 minute mark if you want to skip the opening talk and get to where he opens the can.  The Keystone meats are really good stuff and we've got a bunch of the various offerings in our preps.  The ground beef is the one that I really am pretty apathetic on, although if hunger was setting in it would do just fine
5 year best-by shelf life as well.
KEYSTONE CANNED BEEF....NOT WHAT I EXPECTED!
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here's a youtube review.  Cut to about the 2 minute mark if you want to skip the opening talk and get to where he opens the can.  The Keystone meats are really good stuff and we've got a bunch of the various offerings in our preps.  The ground beef is the one that I really am pretty apathetic on, although if hunger was setting in it would do just fine
5 year best-by shelf life as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHcPUYNmog
View Quote

Interesting, thanks!  Stuff looks pretty good for a canned meat product.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 5 cans of the Keystone stuff for a back up to what I will can myself.

The store bought canned meats are way over salted for my taste.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have 120 cans of Keystone meat.

Good stuff!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I noticed a few months ago that Walmart varies their canned meat selection based on demographics.

I went to a store in a predominately Puerto rican area near me. I was the only white guy in the store, but anyway
I noticed they had far more canned meat selections there than I do at my local store.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#21]
The Walmart Great Value canned beef is pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 2:18:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I can get 87 varieties of Spam here but no canned beef.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Order it online for store pickup?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Bypass the dented WM cans.  I understand Keystone doubleboxes.
Keystone Meats
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bypass the dented WM cans.  I understand Keystone doubleboxes.
Keystone Meats
View Quote

Anyone tried their pork? What is it like?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's Fantastic

we make bbq sandwiches with it..

mmmmmmmm
View Quote

Great!  Need to figure out how to order online to add to preps.  Wife doesn't eat beef bt will do pork.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top