Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2021 2:10:02 PM EDT
I currently have cable internet. When my power goes out my internet goes out too even though I have a generator which powers my modem. This is due to the fact that the internet providers local infrastructure looses power.

I am thinking if I can power the Star Link receiver with a generator I shouldn’t loose internet with a power outage. Has anyone looked into this? They are rolling it out in my area at the end of the year.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I can't wait for SL to become available in my area. My AT&T hotspot is killing me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Provided your site is not serviced by the same power substation as Starlink's uplink site or NOC, it's a safe bet that if you can provide power to your Starlink  earth station, router, and PC, you'd be mousing on through the disaster.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Provided your site is not serviced by the same power substation as Starlink's uplink site or NOC, it's a safe bet that if you can provide power to your Starlink  earth station, router, and PC, you'd be mousing on through the disaster.
View Quote

And even if not, SL ground sites are going to be critical infrastructure so unless its EOTW, it'll be back up ASAP... Plus later we'll have laser relay...
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Just caution in your area. I saw the starlink dishes can over heat and shut down in temps 104-120.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just caution in your area. I saw the starlink dishes can over heat and shut down in temps 104-120.
View Quote

I have been doing lots of research on Starlink, and I have not heard of that.
Do you remember where you saw that?
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have been doing lots of research on Starlink, and I have not heard of that.
Do you remember where you saw that?
View Quote

Reddit (gag) but I saw more than one posting about it. Also roofs/ direct sun tend to attract more thermal energy (I think). I know in my area temps of 110-115 would give me pause.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/o1zgt2/starlink_dishes_go_into_thermal_shutdown_once/
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the cellular modem for my home internet and we have it on a battery backup. It doesn't go out for several days until the generator at the cell tower runs out of fuel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top