Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2021 10:18:36 PM EDT
Just picked  up a new light for the arsenal.  Forgive me if incorrect details, but it is the O'light Odin Turbo LEP flashlight.  Laser excited phosphor, basically a laser flashlight.  Forgive me if this has been an old topic.  I just got the light outside and all I can say is "WOW!!"    It claims 1050 yd throw with 330 lumens.  The lumen count isn't that impressive, but the distance of throw is unreal.  3-400 yds to wood row behind my house and I have never had a light so illuminate the area so well at distance.  Magnetic USB charger and 5000mAh 3.6V 21700 Rechargeable Lithium Battery.

Several different lights from other makers are available, but I have had great luck with O'light.

I'm sure many on here have much more knowledge about them than I.  I think they would be a great addition to the kit.  Hopefully others can chime in with their experience.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgive me, but I don't know if you had a stroke prior to typing that, but forgive me Olight is chicom crap. Emphasis on "crap".
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#2]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I own a few O-lights and they arent too bad. but I am not a fan of their magnetic charging. if it works with regular off the shelf batteries, and chargers I might be interested in one. that much throw you could put it on a bolt gun lol.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Well,  I'm just going off my experience.   I have carried one an olight edc for near ten years now., and looked in a ton of horses mouths.   Not much worse for a flashlight, and it has never failed me.   Don't know of any right of hand that aren't made in China,  but please enlighten me.   Always prefer to buy American.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Olight and I like Tsing Tao beer, but I’m not itching to get into LEP lights.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Olight is chicom crap. Emphasis on "crap".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Olight is chicom crap. Emphasis on "crap".

Opinions are like assholes...

Sure, made in China, but they've never failed me and I used a few different ones for two years in Afghanistan.  I wasn't fast roping and kicking down doors, but they were used hard and often.  They're solid, reliable lights and I say that as a long time Surefire, Modlite, and Cloud Defense owner.  If you had a bad experience, I can understand that, but most get caught up on where they're produced and have zero experience with performance.  Just my asshole-opinion.

Quoted:
Well,  I'm just going off my experience.   I have carried one an olight edc for near ten years now., and looked in a ton of horses mouths.   Not much worse for a flashlight, and it has never failed me.   Don't know of any right of hand that aren't made in China,  but please enlighten me.   Always prefer to buy American.
Doc

There are some, but sadly the most innovate lights are using Chinese manufacture.  Olight and ArmyTek (use to be made in Canada, but shifted overseas) are two that have really held up well during field use and they have excellent UI.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Olights for work. My current light is the SR 2 Baton 2. It's survived hundreds of drops on concrete and just keeps on working. I absolutely love this light. Magnetic charging works awesome. I am continously impressed with my O lights and I've got actual years of experience with them. The magnetic base is nice for working on machines. Stick where I need it for hands free. The clip works with my hat for a head lamp.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I use Olights for work. My current light is the SR 2 Baton 2. It's survived hundreds of drops on concrete and just keeps on working. I absolutely love this light. Magnetic charging works awesome. I am continously impressed with my O lights and I've got actual years of experience with them. The magnetic base is nice for working on machines. Stick where I need it for hands free. The clip works with my hat for a head lamp.
View Quote
same. My first one lasted about a year including a decent drop on concrete. after the magnetic charger quit working on my 2nd right angle O light I switched to nitecore. broke two of those and I'm back to a new S2 original.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
same. My first one lasted about a year including a decent drop on concrete. after the magnetic charger quit working on my 2nd right angle O light I switched to nitecore. broke two of those and I'm back to a new S2 original.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What year did this new generation come out? I bought one during to original flash sale and I'm still using it after hundreds of 3 to 4 ft drops on concrete.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t own an lep type light yet but I’m well aware of what they are/do.

What I wonder is if this tech will replace traditional led lights, or work along side them?

The thing with lep is the amazing throw, at the cost of area coverage. Can you get both in one light, or maybe a compromise of some extra coverage with a decent 4-500 m throw?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don’t own an lep type light yet but I’m well aware of what they are/do.

What I wonder is if this tech will replace traditional led lights, or work along side them?

The thing with lep is the amazing throw, at the cost of area coverage. Can you get both in one light, or maybe a compromise of some extra coverage with a decent 4-500 m throw?
View Quote

I see it as a great advantage to add to your capability.  I can scan the pasture hundreds of yards away and actually SEE things.  I realize not appropriate for all situations, but very handy.

Doc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top