Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2021 11:27:50 AM EDT
With all the crap going on right now, anyone planning on picking up any extra silver or gold?  Paper money toilet paper.

Planning on dumping any?  Prices getting pretty high.

Doc

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I am hesitant due to the extra fees and the possibility of getting scammed. I need an education on what to buy, how to buy it, how to keep from being screwed, and how to sell it, again, without being scammed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I can recall getting reamed when investing in gold foolishly during the 2010-2015 years. I'd like to avoid the same mistakes, but the Monopoly money printing makes me nervous as well.

Oh well, invest in lead.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought more carbide inserts and tooling for the shop. Y'all can bring your gold when I fix your stuff.....if I don't need anything else I'd probably take it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Gold, silver, platinum are all commodities. Just like oil, pork bellies, or a million other things. If you don't know the market stay away. Index funds like the S & P 500 will retain some value. Guns and ammunition will always have value.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I've steadily bought PMs since 2005, but don't have "a lot" in comparison to my net worth.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
no. it was a better deal when there was free shipping, and low over-spot premiums. Shit is crazy right now. I thought about it and saw ASE and similar, by the time you factor in shipping and fees, 50% over spot. considering you take a hit from spot when you sell (in normal times) you would need this stuff to go up like 100% to be worthwhile.

I have a few pounds set away from leaner times and I'm gonna say I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought some gold from Germany just this week. This is gold that can multiply.

Attachment Attached File

Iscar CCGT inserts made in Israel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#9]
If paper currency becomes worthless, I am not sure Gold or Silver is going to make a difference. I do have some silver, mostly for trade if someone someday decides they prefer it to dollars.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If paper currency becomes worthless, I am not sure Gold or Silver is going to make a difference. I do have some silver, mostly for trade if someone someday decides they prefer it to dollars.
View Quote
It'll make a huge difference.  

I'm really not sure how you could have come to your conclusion...

It will be a valuable option and capability, somewhat like having cash in your pocket when the credit card system goes down...
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Brrrrrrrrrrr!

I'd like to.  Wyte metal not yeller.

Brrrrrrrrrrr!
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I hold gold and silver. I have bought a lot more silver recently. The dollar is being purposely imploded.

Join WallStreetSilver on Reddit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:57:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Here’s my question, the wife is a yard sale estate sale junky. She has in the past 5 years gathered about 15 pounds worth of silver spoons and the like. Is there a way to melt them into bars or bullion or should I just leave them be? I saw one previous post say if a service is need bring the silver and gold to him for payment. How do you measure out a spoon? Lol!! Also does anyone collect gemstones as possible currency?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here’s my question, the wife is a yard sale estate sale junky. She has in the past 5 years gathered about 15 pounds worth of silver spoons and the like. Is there a way to melt them into bars or bullion or should I just leave them be? I saw one previous post say if a service is need bring the silver and gold to him for payment. How do you measure out a spoon? Lol!! Also does anyone collect gemstones as possible currency?
View Quote

The problem is accurately identifying the material in question.  Gold and silver are pretty easy. I don't know any gems stones. Most people cannot properly identify them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here’s my question, the wife is a yard sale estate sale junky. She has in the past 5 years gathered about 15 pounds worth of silver spoons and the like. Is there a way to melt them into bars or bullion or should I just leave them be?
View Quote

https://www.midwestrefineries.com/
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I have long advocated 3 B's.

Beans (food & water) no 1st B, no life.  Plain and simple.
Boolits - how do you protect the above?  
Bullion - to preserve wealth.  BTW, silver is very underpriced.  It's not the 77:1 ratio it once was but it's 68:1 and is still a good buy.   Get a lot of "junk" (old pre-64 coins) as they are highly liquid being recognizable as US coin.  Mind you, you have to wait for people to wake up that the fiat federal reserve note is worth the paper it's printed on and no more and that silver is real money.  So, you  should have about 3 month's worth of currency to pay your bills during the transition period.

We're going into a global depression. This is man made and is survivable.  What may not be survivable is when Big G (Creator) mashes down on his reset button.  All bets are off the table then.  Remember what Greg Hunter of USA Watchdog always says, "Fear not, God the Father and his son Hayseuss is in complete control."

https://usawatchdog.com/greatest-financial-event-in-history-coming-bo-polny/

Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good for her.    Silver plate or .925 silver?  It matters.

I'd leave them as is.  Anti-bacterial quality.  It's not like you're going to lick your food off a silver bar.  At least with silverware they have a dual function of utlity.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
  Get a lot of "junk" (old pre-64 coins) as they are highly liquid being recognizable as US coin.  

View Quote

*Pre-1965
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought more carbide inserts and tooling for the shop. Y'all can bring your gold when I fix your stuff.....if I don't need anything else I'd probably take it.
View Quote

Your not wrong. Investing in production capabilities can pay off big time during shortages. Welding and fabrication, masonry, farming, carpentry. Stock materials and tools to do the job. I wish I would have had the foresight to buy a portable sawmill a few years ago. A friend of mine is making a killing on rough sawn with the high lumber prices. Supply shortages are likely to continue in a lot of markets, so an ability to make or repair something locally is an excellent skill and quintessential to self reliance. PMs are a great store of value and a wise investment with everything going on, but they can't generate income like production can.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Your not wrong. Investing in production capabilities can pay off big time during shortages. Welding and fabrication, masonry, farming, carpentry. Stock materials and tools to do the job. I wish I would have had the foresight to buy a portable sawmill a few years ago. A friend of mine is making a killing on rough sawn with the high lumber prices. Supply shortages are likely to continue in a lot of markets, so an ability to make or repair something locally is an excellent skill and quintessential to self reliance. PMs are a great store of value and a wise investment with everything going on, but they can't generate income like production can.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know anyone who can store up enough precious metals to live out their lives, especially in the scenarios they imagine, without somehow finding a way to make a living. That isn't hunting deer in the national parks for decades. Precious metals are a store of wealth and storing wealth is fine. What happens after its gone?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Prices are getting high that is why I buy over a long period of time. I don’t know if our currency will collapse or if silver or gold will be valuable if there is a collapse. I do know that PMs have held value for 1000s of years.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know anyone who can store up enough precious metals to live out their lives, especially in the scenarios they imagine, without somehow finding a way to make a living. That isn't hunting deer in the national parks for decades. Precious metals are a store of wealth and storing wealth is fine. What happens after its gone?
View Quote

Gone?  You're supposed to have a cache of food and whatever else you need so you won't be reliant on your metals during the reset.  The metals are for buying opportunities for generational wealth.
Quoted:
Prices are getting high that is why I buy over a long period of time. I don’t know if our currency will collapse or if silver or gold will be valuable if there is a collapse. I do know that PMs have held value for 1000s of years.  
View Quote

Why do the big banks buy gold and silver?  The "green new deal" is heavily silver reliant as will be many emerging (actually suppressed) technologies.  The only time metals won't have value is if the Big Guy upstairs hits the Biblical reset button.  All bets are off the table then.

In this video a Rumanian talks about their hyper-inflation:

How my family survived hyperinflation - what to expect when expecting high inflation
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Gone?  You're supposed to have a cache of food and whatever else you need so you won't be reliant on your metals during the reset.  The metals are for buying opportunities for generational wealth.

Why do the big banks buy gold and silver?  The "green new deal" is heavily silver reliant as will be many emerging (actually suppressed) technologies.  The only time metals won't have value is if the Big Guy upstairs hits the Biblical reset button.  All bets are off the table then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcn8EQ_d0W4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcn8EQ_d0W4

How long did the great depression last.......
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
With all the crap going on right now, anyone planning on picking up any extra silver or gold?  Paper money toilet paper.

Planning on dumping any?  Prices getting pretty high.

Doc

View Quote

I got burned hard with silver when it was at it's highest, so I'm leery of spending more money on PM's. I can't think of a thing to buy that is more manipulated than PM's, except maybe gasoline.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have a little put aside.

The thing is, if your world is so bad that you are bartering with silver, you won't be able to buy imported things like work boots, shovels, gas cans etc. so I think you are farther ahead to get things you will use than more hunks of metal.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gold is still the, well... gold standard for something you can stuff in your pocket or sew into your clothing and GTFO to start over some place else.   Unless you are sticking around to fight, if there is some place to go that's not all jacked up, that's often the best option.

It also has excellent properties for stashing.   Many other things of high value can spoil, corrode, or otherwise go bad.   If there is nowhere at all to go, then it's probably time to stick shiny metal in the ground for your great-grandchildren.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I just want to point out for those that don't know and are qualified, if you can get a foreign passport, international banking is an option for you, as is leaving the US without a visa or green card. Many countries have laws about even grandchildren of citizens being allowed to get citizenship as well as Birthright Citizenship, although laws change over the decades so that might require some investigation. In my case, I was born in England to American parents. At the time (early 70's), England allowed citizenship for Americans born in England. In the early 80's, the law changed and that citizenship wasn't a Birthright any longer. Ireland offers citizenship to grandchildren-many countries have mechanisms in law to allow relatives to become citizens.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I got burned hard with silver when it was at it's highest, so I'm leery of spending more money on PM's. I can't think of a thing to buy that is more manipulated than PM's, except maybe gasoline.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have a little put aside.

The thing is, if your world is so bad that you are bartering with silver, you won't be able to buy imported things like work boots, shovels, gas cans etc. so I think you are farther ahead to get things you will use than more hunks of metal.
View Quote
You bought the hype. You need to be buying small amounts over a long term. AKA dollar cost averaging. I have bought when silver was $7.40 an ounce and when it was $30 an ounce. I sold some coins when it got to $40 the last time. Saving for the future is a long term goal. slow and steady wins. PM's have been the currency since before Christ. They are not going away.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Silver coins were made regularly up to 1970/71.

Half Dollars- 90% silver upto and including 1964, 40% from 1965-1970/1.

Quarters-90%- 1964 and earlier

Dimes- 90%-1964 and earlier

Nickles- 35% silver 1942(?)-1944/5(?)  wartime production.

Then you have the silver dollars and eagles, plus a smattering of older odd currency denominations.

plus there are random silver collectible coins produced past the years mentioned above that can turn up occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You bought the hype. You need to be buying small amounts over a long term. AKA dollar cost averaging. I have bought when silver was $7.40 an ounce and when it was $30 an ounce. I sold some coins when it got to $40 the last time. Saving for the future is a long term goal. slow and steady wins. PM's have been the currency since before Christ. They are not going away.
View Quote

Actually, I didn't buy the hype. I had friends telling me for years to "buy silver", and put it off until something made me look at how much more I was spending on something that had gone up 20% in a year.

So I went and converted fiat to Silver, didn't do my due dilligence, had no idea what silver should have cost-just went out and bought it.

I suppose I should be DCA'ing my silver, I just have been spending my money on more important things since, like a cabin so I have a place to be vs. a place to go, and plenty to eat if it comes down to it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Actually, I didn't buy the hype. I had friends telling me for years to "buy silver", and put it off until something made me look at how much more I was spending on something that had gone up 20% in a year.

So I went and converted fiat to Silver, didn't do my due dilligence, had no idea what silver should have cost-just went out and bought it.

I suppose I should be DCA'ing my silver, I just have been spending my money on more important things since, like a cabin so I have a place to be vs. a place to go, and plenty to eat if it comes down to it.
View Quote
Silver should only be a small percentage of what you have. Diversification is important.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top