Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2021 8:53:18 PM EDT
I have a 25 pound bag of white rice from Costco that I want to divide up and put in Mylar bags. I bought it a year and it has been sitting in the bottom of my pantry. The bag hasn't been open and is intact. I worry that I have let the rice to sit for to long. I know that it will stay good for a long time.

Is there a standard time to let rice sit before it is to late to put in mylar bags for long term storage?

Gunwish
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It's fine. Bag it up and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's fine. Bag it up and don't worry about it.
View Quote

Thanks,  I am thinking it will be ok.  I wanted a second opinion
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It is fine
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It's fine, just seal it up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought 200 lbs of rice about 4 years ago.  Got busy/lazy and just threw the bags on the shelf.  My concern was weevils, but we got lucky and the rice was fine.  I think I have 20lbs left of that batch.  The rest is stored properly in mylar and buckets.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Doing the same thing. No weavils. Six 50 lb bags bought at the beginning of the pandemic. Just now getting them bucketed up.

Mine are both Sam's and Costco. I think they freeze the rice before shipping it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I put all my grains into the freezer for about a week before repackaging to kill the little buggies. I've heard varying stories ranging from 48 hours to a week, and I decided to err to the side of caution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top